Rory Gallagher tone - looooordy!

fitz

Fortunately, I was early to the game. When I was a kid my older cousin turned me on to Irish Tour '74. When we played the album and heard Cradle Rock open up the album I had shivers up my spine which I still get to this day. I was a budding guitar player then and it really opened me up to Rory's Strat tone and how he actually used the instrument. He is without a doubt my favorite guitarist.

70 Mach 1

Supporting Member
I always said Rory and Alvin lee were the
Original shreedorz dudes.
Of course it took off later on to a whole other level.
But these guys imo laid the groundwork

Trick Fall

Absolutely incredible guitar player and one person I really wish I would've gotten to see live. I'm not a blues guy and lean more to the song vs guitar wanking side of the spectrum, but I could listen to him play anything.

Ed DeGenaro

Supporting Member
I had a friend of my dad's who turned me on to Jimi and Tommy Bolin.
And when I got into guitar I hung out with older local guys who turned me on to Gallagher and Mike Bloomfield.

That actually led me much later to get interested in THD amps, well Verheyen as well. (By detour of shredsville).

Major Dude

On my dad’s advice, I was lucky enough to score tickets for 2x consecutive nights at Ulster Hall in Belfast, 1984. The gigs were filmed so I can still watch my 14 year old self clinging to the front of that stage...unforgettable and life changing. After much pestering my dad bought me my first Fender Strat just over a year later.

Here’s some great info on Rory’s strat for those interested in the pickups etc.
https://www.groundguitar.com/rory-gallagher-gear/rory-gallaghers-1961-fender-stratocaster/

Enjoy :aok

Senor Forum

Gold Supporting Member
Also from Irish Tour this one seems so personal and almost too real.

It was literally in my original post! Hahahahaha.

And, dude, absolutely. I adore this recording so freaking much.

From 3:10 - that solo is absolutely mind-boggling.

outdoorpja

Supporting Member
Davy Knowles has been doing a Rory tribute tour recently (on and off) with original bassist Gerry McAvoy. Haven't gotten out to one of them, but I've seen Davy doing his own stuff and he's fantastic.

robyogi

Ampaholic
Silver Supporting Member
It was literally in my original post! Hahahahaha.

And, dude, absolutely. I adore this recording so freaking much.

From 3:10 - that solo is absolutely mind-boggling.
LOL. Well, good enough to be mentioned twice. Sorry, didn't watch all the vids. The one section in the solo reminds me of Roy B.

bluesoul

Man, I got into this guy way later in my life than I should have, but I just can't get enough of this stuff.

This live recording is just on fire. Such a wonderful sound and playing.
I saw him back when I was in my teens and learning to play. A few buddies and I when to see a concert where he was the first act. We knew nothing about him. He opened with Souped UP Ford and we were blown away! The band was a trio....tight and in the pocket with energy you could feel!
I can not remember who the two main acts were that night, but I remember him! I would not have wanted to follow his set if I was next up!

Trending Topics