Rory Gallagher Tribute Stratocaster...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JubileeMan 2555, Feb 9, 2006.

1. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Hey guys,

Looking for some first-hand experience with this axe. How do you guys describe the playing experience. Do the pickups do the job well? How bout the guitar through a decent amount of gain like a marshall? Does it hold up? or does it seem to only like blackface fenders?

any help would be appreciated.

PLEASE DO NOT talk, discuss, or bring up anything regarding your opinions about relic strats, relicing in general, or if you think Rory might be turning in his grave. I really don't care, and only want people that can give a good picture about the playability of the strat to help out. I am not looking to the strat because its beat up or supposed to be a copy of Rory's, I am looking to it because its supposed to play and sound fantastic.

Anyone? :) Thanks!

2. FredW

FredW Member

I have one, great guitar. The pickups are excellent, they are better than the ones in my John English 59'. they will definately sound great with a marshall. I have bought soo many fenders over the past year that I might have to let a few go. I am not sure I want to sell the Rory though. It has a very meaty sound to it and is very resonant acoustically, Remember the guitar really has no finish on it and I think that might be the reason it is so resonant.

3. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

thanks fred! I'll be checking one out tomorrow and just wanted to get other's views on the guitar before trying it out.

I like to hear it sounds good with marshalls...since I'm a Jubilee user all the way:)

Cheers.

4. Rory_Rules

Rory_Rules Supporting Member

Hey Tyler! I've had my Rory Strat for over a year now & its a great guitar! The stock pickups are excellent. That said I did do some upgrades to mine - installed a set of Irish Tour pups from Bare Knuckle, Callaham bridge & trem block. Now it really smokes! Re: using it with Marshalls - I can't help you with that but I do use it with a Stephenson Amp which is very "British" in nature & it sounds fantastic! It is the best Fender I have ever played.

5. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

so what was your reason for changing the pickups? Sounds like the original ones were not so great?

6. Rory_Rules

Rory_Rules Supporting Member

I changed out the stock pups as I'm a big fan of boutique gear & because of all the excellent reviews on Bare Knuckles (which are true BTW). Tim at Bare Knuckle custom wound a set for me that really replicated the tone of Rory's Strat - not that I can play anywhere near as good as Rory. The stock pups really are very good - but not as good as the Bare Knuckles. I'm sure you would be really happy with a stock Rory Strat.

7. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Man I've been gassing for one. Just a cool deal. My buddy got a chance to AB one with a 63 Strat, and felt this particular Rory sounded better than the 63.

That's saying something, as that old one isn't a dog.

8. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

I strummed one the other day acoustically. She had some life. Definately played nice. The thing I didn't like was the weight, man it's a log. Apparently the weight is spec to his.

FWI: There is one hanging on the wall @ L&M in Calgary.

Jeff

9. billygoat

billygoat Member

10. Badfinger

Badfinger Silver Supporting Member

Mine's only about 7 1/2 lbs:NUTS It is a great player though. The only thing I don't like is the neck, a little to thin for my paws. Easily taken care of, though...

11. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Gold Supporting Member

Mines a little less than 7.5 lbs. A great player and a great alternative to a 20K+ pre-CBS strat. Sounds great through Fenders and Marshalls. I also don't like the small neck. I've since replaced it with a USA Custom neck with a large profile. I couldn't be happier.

Joe

12. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

This one was over 8lbs for sure. Apparently I was mislead about the weight being to original spec.

13. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

thanks everyone for your help...

I picked her up today and have been playing it non stop..

Hmm... not exactly sure what to think yet. it really DOES have amazing tone. But my #1 is a '82 "Dan Smith" strat that resonates a little more and has hotter pickups which I'm used to. So its a strange tradeoff right now. I think I'll end up loving the strat. But may actualy need to switch out the pickups. THey just seem to have too little power coming out... almost like real vintage pickups that are starting to fade.

I would ask what pickups you guys might recommend...but then again, I"m sure I'll get 2000 answers;) lol...

Thanks again everyone.

14. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Gold Supporting Member

I'd give them a little more time. They'll grow on you. You will also be able to crank your amp a little more. I think the pickups are the best part of the guitar. Although if you do swap them out you could get big $ for them on eBay. A complete pickguard assembly recently went for $575.

Joe