Rory Irish Tour '74 box set-worth getting?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by MORE BARN, Apr 4, 2015.

1. MORE BARN

MORE BARN Member

Anyone have this? Is it worth getting? I know there's some duplication of the sets, etc., and one review said a couple of the shows don't have the best sound. Should I get this or there is a 2 CD version I believe...

Thanks!

2. winterblu

winterblu Supporting Member

I still listen to my old vinyl copy so I'm no help with the box set but either way you go it's money well spent.

3. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Supporting Member

Yeah if you dig Rory. I just pulled mine out the other day and watched the DVD. I have the vinyl too.

4. dez

dez Member

The sound on the other gigs isnt quite as good as the Cork show but is still very good. The performances are killer. The after hours material is very good , too. The box set is well worth it , IMO.

5. 65DuoSonic

65DuoSonic Member

I believe you can listen to it on Spotify, if you are a member or whatever. Just see about doing a free 30 day trial, listen to it, and cancel your trial before 30 days so they don't bill you.

6. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Honestly, I mean, it's Rory F'ing Gallagher so if the sound quality isn't complete trash then hell yeah it's worth checking out.

7. RoryGfan

RoryGfan Silver Supporting Member

There are multiple 2 hr. concerts, Irish, English, and Montreux, plus 2 hr. documentaries on YouTube. About 15 -20 hours worth in all, some with pro video and sound included. I'd jump around and see what looks and sounds best for you, as some of the audio and video is around 40 years old. A yearly favorite at Montreux, those concerts were done with better video and sound...basically made for broadcast and for quality audio.

BTW, his Fender Custom Artist Edition guitar, which I consider the most accurate "relic" guitar around, still lives on at about $4,500USD. Reading the backstory on it alone is a blast.

Note: "Rock ‘n Blues Guitarist Rory Gallagher will be celebrated with the award winning 4 day Rory Gallagher International Tribute Festival between Thursday 28th May and Sunday 31st May 2015. Over 10,000 fans from over 30 different countries will converge on Ballyshannon for the Festival in Rory’s honour with 30 acts performing on 15 stages over the 4 days."