1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Rosewood Body Martin With Modern fretboard Inlay style?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by HHKeegan, Feb 9, 2019.

1. HHKeegan

HHKeegan Member

So I have been in the market for a new high end acoustic and really like the Martin D-18 and D-28...

I like the sound of the D-18 , but I cant get over how gorgeous the rosewood body of the D-28 is. Problem is that the D-28 has the vintage style of inlays that use two double dots (i think on the 5th and 12th frets) , I know its petty but I hate this inlay style and if im going to pay about $3k for something its hard to turn a blind eye.

Anyway I guess my question is if there are any martins in the 2-3k price range that feature more modern styling and rosewood bodies? I havent seen any so far.

The D-18 is really a fantastic instrument, but mahogany is just ... not as sexy as rosewood. I do not personally notice a *massive* difference between the tone woods, for the record. Or at the very least the difference sounds about equally good to my ear.

Any suggestions?

2. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

The D-28 has double dots on the 7th and 12th frets, and the D-18, on the 12th fret only.
    Are you saying you " hate this style" in reference to the D-28 only?
    Do want a D-28 style guitar with a D-18 style fingerboard style inlay, or something different ( in terms of inlays) all together?

3. HHKeegan

HHKeegan Member

Yeah, i hate the double dots on multiple frets basically. I am looking for a d-18 style inlay with a rosewood body + spruce top basically.

4. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

This is about the oddest example of "form before function" I have ever seen, but someone in the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum might be able to help.

Jeff Scott, Tommy Biggs and Bluedano1 like this.
  5. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

I must be thick, I never picked up on the 'dot difference' ( don't care) between D-28/18 until last week, when a buddy pointed it out to me!

BTW, my cheap D-1 ( my only Martin) actually has the look of a D-18 (mahogany body), but the 'dot pattern' of the D-28!
    Never noticed before! ( after 26 years of daily playing) just doesn't matter when you find a great guitar.

Tony Done likes this.
  6. HHKeegan

HHKeegan Member

Give me a break... Do you not consider aesthetics at all when you buy new instruments?

7. s2y

s2y Member

Yes, but that usually requires going custom and opening one's wallet. My Bob Thompson DN has regular inlays, but his base price is about $4k.

8. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

I certainly do, but wouldn't take rosewood over mahogany because of the way it looked.

Jeff Scott likes this.
  9. HHKeegan

HHKeegan Member

They both sound good to me and one model looks better but has goofy inlays (IMO). That is the dilemma.

10. s2y

s2y Member

Less tilt and you won't see the inlays, just the side dots.

11. DanR

DanR Member

I personally hear a lot of difference between rosewood and mahogany bodied guitars.

If aesthetics is a big deal, I would recommend a Gibson Advanced Jumbo.

12. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

Get a D-28 Authentic 1941. Maybe slotted diamond position markers are more to your taste.

HHKeegan likes this.
  13. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

Hmm, me too. Just shows how you can look at things without seeing them. We should have a thread on thing we notice very quickly. In my case it is grain runout in the top, and ugly headstocks. :)

Bluedano1 likes this.
  14. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

I will go to my grave with the opinion that the standard Martin logo on a rosewood-faced headstock ( and nothing added- no binding, inlays, vertical logo), is one of the classiest or most beautiful creations in all the guitar universe! Even my budget D-1 has this and I never get tired of looking...
    A 'close second' is the chrome Fender logo badge on the front of a BF/SF Fender amp!

Tony Done likes this.
  15. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

Sure we do, but great tone Trumps all.

16. HHKeegan

HHKeegan Member

The D18 and D28 both have great tone (in different ways) and phenomenal playability, its a matter of nitpicky aesthetic **** and the high price tags that are kind of the salient factor for me at this point. :dunno

17. Frozen Rat

Frozen Rat Gold Supporting Member

OP, you are one picky person. I thought I was picky, but you got me beat. BTW, I've seen some mahogany that rivals the looks of rosewood. My Goodall has a gorgeous striped mahogany back and the 00 I used to own had the most perfect piece of mahogany I've ever seen. But anyway, when you're playing it's against your body. No one will see it, not even you. It's like having a house with a window of a view of the mountains. You think it's great when you're buying the place but once you're living there how often will you look out the window at the view? Probably not often, unless guests come over and you're showing off.

But back on topic. You want a rosewood Martin with a single dot on the 7th fret. I looked through their inventory and I don't see one. I'll go out on a limb and suggest a Santa Cruz Tony Rice instead. No fret markers at all on that one, just the SC Cat. Looks bonkers good to me and they sound outstanding. You'll have to get one used to stay in your price range.

HHKeegan likes this.
  18. s2y

s2y Member

It would be nice if you could make small tweaks with Gibson, Fender, and Martin without having to go full custom. Not gonna happen. If you really want this to happen, you'll compromise with the inlays, go custom, or perhaps buy a used non-Martin dread that fits your fairly strict criteria.

Hate to say that $3k is a little on the low side when it comes to good acoustics. I'd also say that you might want to try other guitars if you think all Martins have phenomenal playability. One potential problem with Martins is that they're not always consistent. I have encountered some that sounded great and played great, some that sounded great and played ok-ish, some that sounded junky and played great, etc. Some of this could be how the guitar was treated in the store or by previous owners. I can't say that I consider Martin Mr. Consistent compared to other companies.

19. HHKeegan

HHKeegan Member

Thank you for actually answering my question instead of talking **** about my opinions, price range, manufacturer preference, etc.

20. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Member