Rosewood Necks--Who's Got Them? Who Likes Them? Let's See Them!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by shaps6, Jun 6, 2017.

1. shaps6

shaps6 Member

Thinking of building a partscaster Jazzmaster with a Rosewood neck. Who's got an-all rosewood neck? How do you like it? How does it compare to maple? Care to show it off?

2. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

I have one on an EBMM Albert Lee HH. BTW, the body on that guitar is mahogany.

It's hard to know which factors are most responsible, but compared to most other bolt-on instruments I've owned (Strats) that guitar has much more focus on the fundamental and much less emphasis on the overtones. At least that's how I would describe what I'm hearing.

Whether that's a positive or negative trait is up to the individual player, I guess.

[​IMG]

3. -CM-

-CM- Something Clever Here Silver Supporting Member

4. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Put a rosewood neck on one of my parts-o-casters last year and like it in both tone & feel. Especially the feel...the unfinished rosewood feels warm and like a well broken in guitar in the palm of your fretting hand. I'd call the feel intimate for lack of a better word. As for tone...I'd say mine has a little more "thunk" to its tone compared to the maple/rosewood neck it replaced. Still sounds like a Strat...but it has a somewhat different voice that you may or may not like.

However, after playing many, in my experience I'd say that rosewood is tonally less consistent than maple. I've played some rosewood neck guitars that were very bright and some very dark...which I think is related to how much natural oil content is in the individual piece of wood.

Here's my parts-o-caster:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    rlmcritters1 and shaps6 like this.
  5. shaps6

shaps6 Member

More oil = darker?

Where did you get that Neck? Is it Warmoth? If so, did you buy a "dark rosewood" neck or regular ol' rosewood?

6. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

7. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

Last year Fender did a limited run of both Tele's and Strat's with all Rosewood necks. Here's my Tele!

[​IMG]

rlmcritters1 likes this.
  8. Mark Ray

Mark Ray The RockTrain Gold Supporting Member

9. Yossi

Yossi Member

[​IMG]

PRS Modern Eagle I Brazilian rosewood neck and fingerboard.

darkinners likes this.
  10. jsboswell

jsboswell Supporting Member

My Todd Krause Masterbuilt '59 Strat has a 1-piece solid rosewood neck. I really wrestled with this decision - probably more than any other aspect of the build. I spoke with Todd extensively during the design phase. His take? "It'll sound like a Strat."

He was right! It sounds just like a great Strat. The feel? OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!

11. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

I've owned about 135 guitars. 10 of 'em have had rosewood necks. (varieties thereof include Honduran, Guatemalan, Brazilian, and Indian)

The most noticeable class difference in terms of sound IME has to do with the texture of the notes. There's more grain. That can be off-putting sometimes, and just-the-thing at other times. There are also pretty noticeable sound and feel differences between the different species, with Honduran being (by a good ways) my favorite and Indian being (generally speaking) my least favorite. Of course in any particular guitar everything else counts too, so at the end of the day if you're building a guitar you just have to hope for the best, or trust that your builder can get the best out of the particular hunks of wood that (s)he has to work with.

Overall, some days I think I could exclusively play guitars with rosewood necks. Other days I want to put them all away and sell them. There aren't many days when I'm neutral about them the way I usually am about traditional maple & mahogany necks.

Tomo El Gato likes this.
  12. darkinners

darkinners Member

I can't comment on the sound, as all guitars sound different. It's very hard to pinpoint which part is the effect of rosewood neck.

The feel? oh man, best in the world, best in the world.

PRS McCarty 170/250 limited run with solid Brazilian Rosewood neck
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PRS Modern Eagle SC with solid Brazilian Rosewood neck.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  13. jiml

jiml Member

Loved the feel on my McRosie, just couldn't get used to the ridgedness and super fast response.

14. django49

django49 Member

Love RW necks.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]