Rosewood or all Maple for a Tele neck.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Idaho1, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Idaho1

Idaho1 Member

I was hoping to get some feedback for the community on what you think about a tele's sound with rosewood fretboard or all maple neck and which is preferable in your opinions. Thanks

2. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

All I'll say is don't pass up a good tele because it has a rosewood board. I had a Strat Plus in Inca Silver and half the reason I sold it was because I thought I had to have a maple neck. Kickin' myself ever since.

3. benderman

benderman Member

I have 5 Tele's, 2 with Rosewood boards and the other 3 Maple boards.My opinion is the rosewood has a little warmer sound while the maple neck has a brighter spankier tone to it.I Love both maple and rosewood so I would'nt pass on either,i'm a huge Tele fan as you can see.Good luck my friend :)

4. Chris Brooks

Chris Brooks Member

Take each guitar on its own merits and make a choice based on your whole signal chain (pickups, amp, speakers etc), but traditionally the maple is the defining Tele sound because of that lovely "snap" you get. It also feels better IMO.

5. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Depends on what, how and where (j/k) you play. You have to play a few through your rig and figure out which one suits you and the music you play best. I like them both, but the only Tele I currently have is maple necked. OTOH, all my Gibsons (with one exception) have rosewood boards, so maybe I like the maple because it's so different.
    Chris Brooks is right on the money too...

6. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

They are both fine, but... rosewood gets you farther from Leo's original vision.

7. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

I have been struggling with this for weeks. I just ordered up a Ron Kirn and was torn over this decision. No right or wrong answer obviously but it's a big deal. In the final analysis the tone and feel differences are pretty insignificant so it was(for me) more of a decision based on aesthetics. You know, what looks better with this finish, kind of thing.

Maple it is.

Good luck. You can't go wrong either way.

8. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

my preference is maple. I prefer the aesthetics, and think it has a little more sparkle and snap.... although that may be all in my head

9. dysorexia

dysorexia Senior Member

10. Custom50

Custom50 Member

maple for me. sounds brighter, which i like

11. Idaho1

Idaho1 Member

Thanks for all the input on this question it really helped me a lot. I guess I will always envision a tele with an all maple neck but I couldn't get that rosewood question out of my mind.

12. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

:agree

13. Rage

Rage Supporting Member

I prefer maple.

14. pbmw

pbmw Member

I have two.
    Both are maple.

15. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

My parts caster has an oddball neck. Solid East Indian Rosewood neck with an ebony board.

Sounds great but tele purists are probably shaking their heads.

16. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

No, I definitely hear you.

I've got a 1 piece Indian Rosewood tele neck and it is the only one of all my Tele necks with a separate sound I would attribute to the species origins of the neck wood.

All the others (scores) are roughly 2 maples for every 1 rosewood board maple neck and I sure can FEEL the difference especially when the weather is sticky and there's a need for somewhere for the the sweat to go, or conversely in the winter when a dry rosewood board played hard can "chap" your fingers, but otherwise the differences are visual aesthetics or are attributable to coatings of finish partially obscuring the fretwire.

There is NO hard and fast rule that rosewood board sounds like this and maple board sounds like that, on a solid body electric guitar or bass. Scientific, based on 20 examples? Forget about it. Check out some headstock trussrod access maple board USACG necks against the same neck with a rosewood slab board - ever wondered if the "difference' you thought you heard was in the CONSTRUCTION process of the neck ( skunk stripe versus none; the contours of the truss rod channel ) and not the species? :huh

I will allow that a different board composition may change the player's attitude or mood and thus the result. But red body finish and green bodied guitars can do that.

This isn't about Majority Rule here. Most felt the Patriots were gonna win and they did not. It is OK to believe things you can't prove and OK to agree with people to be nice and get along but I'm still waiting for someone to demonstrate the difference in the sound is not coming from the player and not the guitar. Maybe we could seal up the wood on some Rosewood board guitars and blindfold some people and see what we get. All slab-boards, so no one can feel a skunk stripe. Or put a skunk stripe on them all like Squier Indonesia does.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  17. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

Play/buy what you like and what suits your needs.

I've been playing Teles for 30+ years. I happen to like the body shape and feel. I have never been a fan of maple boards. So I have had many Teles with rosewood boards; except the two original '72 Tele Customs that I owned "back in the day".

18. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

For a trad Tele I would normally say Maple, but I would then just split "trad" Tele into a 50's (Maple) and 60's (Rosewood) and buy two :)
    I played maple necked guitars for ~20+ years. Right now I have an ebony board Gibson and a silky smooth RW board strat, not missing the Maple at all.

19. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I could go either way w/ a strat, but I prefer Teles w/ maple.

20. teleman55

teleman55 Member

Maple for me. But I had a rosewood one that was great too.