Ross Compressor

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by chuck, Oct 3, 2006.

1. chuck

chuck Member

I thought I read somewhere that the Ross clones were actually better then the original Ross. But I can't find it anywhere.
    But if thats true, why does the original Ross Compressor carry so much value? Just as a collector piece?

Chuck

2. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Yes they are pretty rare.

Analogman probably bought most of them up for experimenting on in his lab.

Cue sound effects.

3. chuck

chuck Member

I've never heard a real Ross Compressor. So I couldn't even compare them. I wonder if anyone besides Analogman has.

4. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I think David Gilmour and Trey Anastasio used them, though I know that Trey uses AM BiComps now with his clone. I think more recently Gilmour has used Boss CS-2 compressor/sustainer and a Demeter Compulator, which is probably completely different in the context of his custom Cornish tube buffer crazy pedalboard... He used to use a Dyna-Comp back in the day, too. Check http://www.gilmourish.com

5. DK207

DK207 Member

I A/B'd my friend's Ross against my AM CompRossor and couldn't tell the difference, except that mine was a little quieter. I'd say save the cash and buy an AM comp instead.

6. chuck

chuck Member

7. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

I have an orignal Ross but no clones. So I can't compare.

8. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

this isnot spam although it may sound like it( if it quacks like a duck??) i bought an atomic grey compressor from Musictoyz. A ross clone. I never played a ross b4 i juxt wanted to get a compressor. i thoug h t it sounded cool and sustained awesomely. i tryed to sell it whe n i needed cash and got nowhere hint hint. that being said, it was a coolcompressor.

9. bob01480

bob01480 Member

I have a Ross comp. I think Trey gave them a big boost. Mine is very quite and smooth. I don't like to play without it on. I haven't compared it to anything else though. I picked it up back in the late 70's for about 30.00. I wish I would have bought ten of them, but you could say that about alot of things.