ROSS Effects - share your ROSS story.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fieldsroyal, Apr 1, 2008.

1. fieldsroyal

fieldsroyal Member

Hi everyone - I pulled out my tan ROSS distortion last night and was surprised at how good it sounded - it rivals my other boutique pedals for dynamics and sound quality.
    - I was wondering what reputation they had when they came out? - were they the first "boutique" "cloning" type company (based on upgraded MXR's)
    - were they expensive compared to Boss/Ibanez/MXR and did any well-known players favour them?
    Just curious.....

2. theatomicjeff

theatomicjeff Member

My 2nd and 3rd pedals in the 70's were the Ross Distortion and Compressor. Loved those things.

3. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

I've had a Ross compressor that someone gave to me and a Ross tan distortion. The compressor was pretty cool, but the distortion sounded nasty to me.

4. Slideman

Slideman Member

I had and now have again the tan Ross Distortion -- used it in the late 70's through mid-80's extensively -- loved it -- the foolishly through it into an amp deal thinking I didn't need/want pedals anymore (blashemy) as I was getting a Boogie amp. Missed it for quite some time.

Fast forward to 2005 -- 30th Street Music in NYC, in the effects case in the back is a Ross Distortion...take it out and on the back-plate of the effect are "etched" my initials in illegible sloppy writing (hey I was 17 years old) -- it was my original Ross Distortion. Bought it on the spot for $85.00... I didn't care if I needed a new distortion box.

5. MattHahn

MattHahn Senior Member

thats cool!