Rossington Les Paul forgery on eBay? Apparently not!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Ron, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Ron

Ron Supporting Member

If anyone is thinking about bidding on the Gibson Rossington Les Paul currently on eBay, I would suggest you look closely. It appears to me to be a forgery, the first I've seen.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120241242104&fromMakeTrack=true

* The beauty marks on the top are in the wrong place.
    * The belt buckle wear mark on the back is way too small, this is what first caught my attention - it's just way off.
    * The PUs appear to be relic'd chrome or nickel and not gold.

I've asked the seller (who has a perfect feedback record BTW) for images of the front and back of the headstock, but have never received a reply (I've asked twice). He claims it was a Rossington that was sold in Japan and has a black (not brown) case and Japanese hang tags. I wonder if it was forged in Japan and resold here as a real Rossington?

Nevertheless, caveat emptor!!

2. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I wonder what would happen if I wrote to him and said that it's impossible for him to be selling that guitar, as I'm the one who owns that serial number..

3. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

4. Ron

Ron Supporting Member

Funny, but I thought about doing the same thing. I think he's probably a good guy that bought a fake Rossington and now is selling it with the belief it's the real thing. Poor guy. Still, I wonder why he won't reply to my question.

5. jaevee14

jaevee14 Member

As a new member of the forum, I find the vigilance regarding fakes and phonys on feebay to be most impressive. Here's to camaraderie!
    :BEER

6. dogbone94

dogbone94 Supporting Member

i sent him questions also... pics of head front/back... pickup cavities... pots.... we'll see if i get them.....

7. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

That guitar used to be mine, its not a forgery, nor is the seller a fraud.

markom, post a pic of your ross, #227, maybe you have the fake.

Here is a a pic of 227

[​IMG]

8. bobbylee

bobbylee Member

Gibo is not above using the same serial # twice, if money is involved.

9. Relicula

Lets not chase the conspiracy theory to the point where we are accusing Gibson of duplicating serial #'s. Head on over to the Les Paul Forum, and you will see that its a difficult thing to do, trying to forge serial numbers.

What amazes me, is the way this seller was thrown under the bus when the info is just not accurate.

Here is the history of this guitar.

I purchased it from a LPF member who sent it to me from Japan. It had never been sold in this country, it was bought from Yamano. The original purchaser sold it and acquired it back in trade towards his 60's strat.

I bought the guitar from him, and had it for about two years roughly. Which is a year longer than I keep most things.

I was contacted about selling it and agreed to with a potential buyer, who jerked me around for a month. I eventually gave it to a dealer friend of mine to put on consignment. This dealer is extremely qualified when it comes to guitars, in fact has sold a great number of Ross's. He never was under the impression that it wasn't legit.

The guitar sold to its present owner, and he has listed it on ebay at least three times, varying prices downward to its present number.

The only thing the seller is guilty of, is bad pics.

To the original poster of this thread "Ron" did you ever own a Ross? Was it #154? :)
    [​IMG]

Here are a few, you can see the marks on the body are somewhat inconsistent. #227 is second from the left

[​IMG]

10. Ron

Ron Supporting Member

Yes, I did own #154 and regret selling it. I was the original owner of #154 and bought it from Lark Street Music. Are you the current owner?? I sold it to a guy back east, NJ or MA I think, maybe NY.

If those are four Rossingtons, I can see how the location of the beauty marks change, they are quite different. That's one of the strikes I had against the one on eBay, it looked different than the one I still have.

Can you post pictures of the backs? The most striking difference between my two Rossingtons and the one on eBay was the size of the belt buckle rash. I'd love to see the variation in your four instruments.

Also, the picture you posted of #227 shows the plating on the PUs, which is not well shown on eBay. It seemed there was no plating.

Thanks for correcting me on this. I think the eBay seller is GTG.

11. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

Holy cow, #154 makes me think of freshly made hard ribbon candy.

(life would be easier if you guys would keep the same handles between forums). :) RelicuL.A.Man.

And I agree, the way those pics were framed poorly. The way they left out the all-important headstock pics makes a suspicious eye understandable.

12. Ron

Ron Supporting Member

I let #154 go instead of my less-figured Rossington #30-something because #154 was just too pretty!

13. Ron

Ron Supporting Member

I just received images of the headstock from the eBay seller. Looks like the real deal to me. He didn't include the serial number in a clear shot, but the part of the number that I can see is consistent with #227. I wrote him back that he should include a shot of the headstock and the PUs in his next eBay posting, if there is one.

14. Relicula

Ron, I am the guy you sold it #154 to.

15. amigo30

amigo30 Member

That was confusing. I did get that the guitar wasn't a fake though.

16. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

Oh, Relicula, is the color accurate on the guy's pics? Has a lot more yellow than, for example, your 4 on the wall pic.

17. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Heh, as long as the vigilance is accurate! I got a chuckle at the pileup. Happens so often around here anymore.
    Emee

18. jaevee14

jaevee14 Member

Amen! It appears I spoke too soon. It wont be the last time. I'm interested to see markom's response.

19. Red Suede

Red Suede Member

Looks like the real deal to me, right down to the rash on the back of the neck that put a paint chip into my thumb. Messed me up for a couple of months!

20. utterhack

utterhack Member

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: