Roswell, GA - What's It Like?

Nonvintage

I'm checking out a house to buy Tuesday and Wednesday. I'll be pretty close to Darwin's Burgers and Blues and I've played there twice in the past and loved it. I'm moving from Southern California. I play blues, rhythm and blue and a little classic rock mostly. I love Tom Petty and Mudcrutch, I consider the songcraft those musicians to be top notch. At any rate my gear consists of vintage amps which will remain nameless and the requisite Lester, Strats and Tele. I use minimal effects. What I really want to do is meet some people to play with that take music seriously; first, because if it's not grooving it can be a drag and I prefer really good Blackface Clean sounds. My amps are basically small and medium Fenders and an old 55 GA6 Gibson that is lofi heaven. I'll be out there the first week of May. I hope to hear from some of y'all, and would like some recommendations of some clubs other than Darwin's. Thanks for reading this. My name is Tony Agosta and I'm on Facebook. Thanks again.

telefmt

Darwin's is no where near Roswell GA but IS on Roswell RD (welcome to the south)
Roswell is a typical middle class town with insane commuter traffic and a couple middling music stores.

mrmurph

Roswell, the city and surrounding area--not the road, is an upscale city with pricey homes, great schools (both public and private) and a very cool historic "downtown" area on Canton Street near the "upper square" that houses a slew of great restaurants and bars. There are a lot of great things to do in and around Roswell, it has Marta access to Downtown Atlanta and is only 15 -20 min away by car (non rush-hour). The traffic in and around Roswell is heinous--like most places worth living in in Metro Atlanta. I live about 5 miles from downtown Roswell and my wife and I go there about once or twice a week, to visit restaurants or whatever. Telefmt is correct..Darwin's is no where near the actual town of Roswell, it IS located on Roswell Rd. and is much closer to the downtown of Marietta, Ga--a much larger town than Roswell. Both cities have their positives and negatives.

jpastras

Silver Supporting Member
Roswell is one of the "close-in" suburbs of Atlanta, a sprawling urban-to-suburban environment and the largest metro area of the Southeast. In the 80's and 90-'s it was a middle- to upper-middle-class suburb with good schools, like East Cobb County, which it neighbors, and in which Darwin's is located.

From what I can ascertain, as intown living has become more prized by big earners, and traffic has worsened, Roswell property has become more expensive, the downtown has become more bustling, and, somewhat irreconcilably, Roswell has become less family-centric. From what I've gathered, it seems to have an increasing number of empty-nesters and beyond-middle age singles. As I understand it, there's also a growing latino population. I've heard the school systems are as good as ever, and I've heard they're not as good anymore.

East Cobb is jam-packed full of really good musicians. The whole Darwin's, Nik's Doc's scene is pretty good, if you watch for guys like the Casanovas, John Mcknight, Larry Griffith, Barry Richman, The Hollidays, Mike Martin, Jon Schwenke, Grant Reynolds, etc. Those guys are mixed-in with former pros, part-timers, and amateurs that all share the same stages. Pay for Atlanta musicians is extremely poor, maintaining the same levels since I started gigging in the 80's. Atlanta live music fans are in short supply, though the actual fans are great, and supportive.

Most Atlantans go out to bars to drink, watch sports, hook up, and be seen. It's an ostentatious and culturally-devoid city, for the most part. I've lived here for a long time, and if I had a choice, I'd never move here.

Wrmbrnr

Roswell, the city and surrounding area--not the road, is an upscale city with pricey homes, great schools (both public and private) and a very cool historic "downtown" area on Canton Street near the "upper square" that houses a slew of great restaurants and bars. There are a lot of great things to do in and around Roswell, it has Marta access to Downtown Atlanta and is only 15 -20 min away by car (non rush-hour). The traffic in and around Roswell is heinous--like most places worth living in in Metro Atlanta. I live about 5 miles from downtown Roswell and my wife and I go there about once or twice a week, to visit restaurants or whatever. Telefmt is correct..Darwin's is no where near the actual town of Roswell, it IS located on Roswell Rd. and is much closer to the downtown of Marietta, Ga--a much larger town than Roswell. Both cities have their positives and negatives.
Make sure you eat at Table & Main in downtown Roswell. One of the things I miss since we moved from the South.

Traffic is terrible, but Roswell has a great relaxed vibe - if that's what you are looking for. Lots of good hiking/canoeing along the Hooch near Roswell.

Nonvintage

Thanks for the great info. I have Kaiser Permanente in Alpharetta for healthcare and it's 9 miles Northeast from where I will be living. From my house, Darwins is 9 miles Southwest in Marietta. The route to Darwins will run South on Pine Grove Rd. turning on Johnson Ferry Road.

Last edited:

Trending Topics