Rotary pedal: small, great sounds, switchable speeds

AndreasG

The title says it all, except that it also has to be powered daisy-chained with a OneSpot
so far I just found the Digitech Ventura Vibe
the Keeley DynoMyRoto doesn‘t seem to have ramping speed
For the bigger ones I was looking atbtne Strymon Lex but heard it has some problems with daisy chain powering.
The Tech 21 RotoChoir seems nice, th EHX LesterK sounds less than stellar on YT videos
Any inputs or should I just stick to my Phase 90 to fake rotary-like spunds?

I can recommend the Micro Vent 16 and 122 from Neo Instruments. Never used a daisy chain with it though.

Neo-Instruments-Micro-Vent-122-16-Hero@1400x1050.jpg

Ray175

Danelectro's Billionaire Big Spender will take you there. I bought one a few months ago and am delighted. Controls are treble, bass, speed and ramp (up or down) and will give a worthy imitation of a Leslie. I was able to dial in Eric Clapton's sound on Badge in seconds (once I'd added a little compression).......

AndreasG

I can recommend the Micro Vent 16 and 122 from Neo Instruments. Never used a daisy chain with it though.

Didn‘t think about the Neo Micro...thanks

Danelectro's Billionaire Big Spender will take you there. I bought one a few months ago and am delighted. Controls are treble, bass, speed and ramp (up or down) and will give a worthy imitation of a Leslie. I was able to dial in Eric Clapton's sound on Badge in seconds (once I'd added a little compression).......

might check this one out, but honestly, and very superficially speaking, these Danos just look kinda awful.

Buck Woodson

I'm curious how these sound different. I would guess the 122 would have more growly, dirty overdriven Leslie sound whereas with the other you'll have to get that from othet dirt pedals or the amp.

I'm curious how these sound different. I would guess the 122 would have more growly, dirty overdriven Leslie sound whereas with the other you'll have to get that from othet dirt pedals or the amp.
There is no overdrive happening with both of them. The 122 sounds way more complex and rich than the 16, way more 'in your face', while the 16 is subtler and great for rhythm work. It's just like the real units: the 122 simulates both the rotating treble horn and woofer units of a Leslie Model 122, while the Leslie Model 16 only had a single woofer unit, but no treble horn.

Here's a short clip of the Neo Instruments Micro Vent 16 I recorded last week:

AndreasG

An old Line 6 Roto-Machine. I've tried several "low cost" Leslie simulators and this one works for me.

They're smallish have the ramp-up & down and have an adjustable distortion setting.

Forgot about that one....does it work well with a daisy chain powering via One Spot? I heard some of those are a bit crotical...like the Echopark, but never had one myself

The Ventura Vibe and the NU>X (nux) Roctary are both great rotary pedals that are also pretty inexpensive. Ventura is smaller, and also has the vibrato and uni-vibe modes. Roctary has optional octaves (+1,-1) that can be utilized with or without the rotary, separate slow and fast control dials, and a brake function. It’s a little bigger, but still smaller than a lot of others.

Ventura has stereo I/O, Roctary has stereo out only, but has an expression jack for finer speed control. Both do a great job of nailing that Leslie “grind” that is especially apparent at slower speeds, and sound fantastic in stereo.

These would be my choices for small and inexpensive, but still very good emulations. There are bigger and more pricey ones out there that may be better, but these DO get “that” sound, imho. It comes down to personal preferences and priorities, I suppose.

yberwaffe

Does it exist a good stereo (2 in > 2 out) leslie simulator that can be controlled via MIDI ?
Or at least stereo out.

Last edited:

henryjurstin13

Silver Supporting Member
My rotary pedal I settled on for my main board is the Boss RT20, but it ain't small...

I was pleasantly surprised about how much I liked the Ventura Vibe.

Line 6 --- some pedals from that series can be daisy chained, some can't. I think it depends on the dock, not the pedal. They changed something in the dock to allow it to be chained years after the introduction.

MXR Phase 95 in SCRIPT/45 mode isn't a bad rotary-type of sound.
I also really like John Scofield's rotary sounds, which I think come from a Boss CE3

Does it exist a good stereo (2 in > 2 out) leslie simulator that can be controlled via MIDI ?
Or at least stereo out.

For that you’d probably need a multi-mod box. Mobius does a good Leslie simulation, stereo I/O, GFI Synesthesia has one, stereo out only, but I don’t think it’s great at this point. Possibly there will be a firmware update to make it better.

Poly Beebo has a really good one, imo.

Edit~ Duh, forgot Boss MD500. Good rotary, stereo I/O.

Last edited:

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
The Ventura Vibe I had seemed to really clamp down on dynamics.

I really didn’t like that.

I much prefer the Billionaire Big Spender.

-bEn r.

There is no overdrive happening with both of them. The 122 sounds way more complex and rich than the 16, way more 'in your face', while the 16 is subtler and great for rhythm work. It's just like the real units: the 122 simulates both the rotating treble horn and woofer units of a Leslie Model 122, while the Leslie Model 16 only had a single woofer unit, but no treble horn.

Great playing and tone. The MV16 is my favourite of all the rotary pedals I have tried

For that you’d probably need a multi-mod box. Mobius does a good Leslie simulation, stereo I/O, GFI Synesthesia has one, stereo out only, but I don’t think it’s great at this point. Possibly there will be a firmware update to make it better.

Poly Beebo has a really good one, imo.

Edit~ Duh, forgot Boss MD500. Good rotary, stereo I/O.

Beebo will work well for the MIDI in/out rotary stuff and it's actually an physical model so it correctly models where the rotor stops, mic positions, leakage etc. It however won't suit the original poster as it'll a bit hungry power wise for daisy chained one spot, it needs 500mA .

RYAN1987M

Gold Supporting Member

Which would you recommend for classic rock? I'm thinking 'Tears of Rage' (The Band) and 'Let It Loose' (The Rolling Stones).

Trending Topics

Top Bottom