Rotary Switches - Stew Mac Alternative?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by jhawk, Sep 14, 2019.

1. jhawk

jhawk Member

Hi all,

I’ve been scouring the internet for rotary switches suitable for guitars that use a knurled split shaft for push-on knobs. I’m looking for 2p6t or 1p11t (or any throws in between).

One of my criteria is that the threaded portion be long enough to be mounted through a rear control cavity (not mounted on a pickguard).

I want the rotary switch to be indistinguishable from the other controls (no height differences). I’m using top hat reflector knobs, and these pots: https://www.philadelphialuthiertool...shaft-linear-taper-potentiometer-fine-spline/

I’m finding stuff that’s kinda close, but only one perfect match so far at StewMac: https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Components_and_Parts/Switches/Rotary_Switches.html

The stew Mac switch is $12! Shipping is another $12 on top of that! I don’t want to fork out $24 for a single switch...but I can’t find these anywhere else. I’m afraid StewMac special-orders them from the manufacturer (maybe Oak Grigsby? Who were just bought out by Electroswitch). Nobody else seems to make/carry these.

EDIT: Actually, I just realized the StewMac knobs are coarse spline, so I’d need to find a metric reflector knob for it...ugh

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

3. pdxken

pdxken Member

If you join the stewmac max program shipping is free, depending on your future buying plans it might pencil out.

jhawk likes this.
  4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

not split-shaft but i've had good luck with the alpha brand solid shaft ones from mouser
    [​IMG]
    drill out a typical plastic knob to exactly 1/4" and it'll jam on tightly to the smooth shaft and turn it fine, especially if you scratch some vertical knurls into the metal shaft. (i do make a point of prying up the little leaf spring holding that ball bearing inside the switch to make it easier to turn though)

Steve_U1S and jhawk like this.
  5. jhawk

jhawk Member

Yeah, perhaps for my next build I’ll invest in StewMax...sadly my near future plans can’t justify the cost.

6. Steve_U1S

Steve_U1S Supporting Member

... somehow it figures that I'd note this commonality; I've been gradually adding switchable treble bleed networks into my 'shredder' guitars for many months now.
    In those instruments, I immediately disconnect the tone controls, so they're 'spare tires' from then on... so I started repurposing the 'tone control' knob by replacing the pots with switches, without changing the appearance of the instruments.
    That has had me using rotary 2-position switches of the above style (unfortunately not long-enough threaded shafts to pass through deeper rear-mounted situations for the OP).
    And the first thing that I do to them is carefully pry up the tensioner for the ball-bearing that follows the detents to create the positions in order to lighten the action of the switch, exactly as you described...
    =]

walterw and jhawk like this.
  7. jhawk

jhawk Member

This could work. I think maybe I’d file the shaft to a D shape, drill out the knob, and then use some epoxy to convert the knob to a d-shape?

Steve_U1S likes this.
  8. walterw

nah, that's way too much work and you'd then need to destroy the knob and possibly the switch itself to ever remove them from the guitar!

i have a 2-way just like this in my les paul (converted it to single volume so i used the other volume spot for a phase switch) and it's had a regular LP bell knob drilled out to 1/4" and just jammed on there for more than 15 years now and rock-solid the whole time.

jhawk likes this.
  9. walterw

a friend of mine called this kind of thing "secret sauce", where you had nifty wiring mods but it looked totally stock

Steve_U1S and jhawk like this.
  10. jhawk

jhawk Member

I was thinking I’d add a little oil to the shaft before adding epoxy, hopefully allowing the knob to be easily removed from the shaft.

A simple bench grinder could probably take the shaft to a D shape pretty quickly.

11. Steve_U1S

LOL - that's awesome.
    I may have to quote that friend of yours on an ongoing basis =]

12. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

Applied to cars with way too much engine for a "Sunday go-to-meeting" car, it would be called a "sleeper" ;)

walterw, Steve_U1S and testing1two like this.
  13. Steve_U1S

You fellows are awesome - now I shall have TWO different terms to quote when trying to summarize what I feel I've done to these instruments =]
    Thank you for that!