Rotating Speaker effects, whats the best? DLS, H&K, Boss etc???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ZJD, Jul 6, 2006.

1. ZJD

ZJD Senior Member

Hey I'm looking for a rotating speaker effects pedal and want to know which one is the best. Is it the DLS, the H&K Rotosphere, Boss pedal? Any others? What's the best out there on the market today? Thanks for your replys. :)

2. david henman

david henman Member

...just have the audience spin around when you take a solo!

:rotflmao

3. ZJD

ZJD Senior Member

[FONT=&quot]Should I be searching for a thread on this subject? I just figured I’d start anew because there might be some new things on the market that I haven’t seen yet...
    [/FONT]

4. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

In my experience the Korg G4 is the best. Many people are saying the Boss RT-20 is very good. I don't suggest the DLS or Option5. The DLS is watery, alot of controls but many of them are inside the unit. You can get by with it, but if you're a hound for a leslie sim then that's not the best choice. I also tried out the Option5 last winter. It died on me the 2nd time I used it and it's slow sound was horrible. It didn't have many options and the only thing good was the fast sound.

I personally love the Korg G4 and have sold all others since I realized I really didn't need to have it on my board for the time being.

Alot of people have been raving about the Boss and I'd like to give it a try sometime. It gets good reviews.

5. hipfan

hipfan Member

I have the H&K Rotosphere, and it does a great job. Very chewy and authentic sounding. However, you can only get the most out of it in a hot effects loop. It does not fare as well between the guitar and amp. The effect is not as deep or genuine sounding, and it can be noisy there.

Some of the other options (DLS, Boss, Line6 maybe?) could be better options for that situation.

6. ZJD

ZJD Senior Member

7. ZJD

ZJD Senior Member

Has anyone tried one of these?
    [​IMG]

8. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

9. drolling

drolling Member

It's a funny thing, but the H&K's not the first choice of the keyboard players I know - either because they're too picky, having often worked w/real Leslies, or perhaps because the Rotosphere has been 'voiced' for guitar.

In any case, that's the one I'd have if my amp had an effects loop - really is way too noisy in front..

Both the units I use are long discontinued; the above-mentioned Korg G4 and a DigiTech RPM-1.

The DigiTechs were made by IVL technologies (they also did the original Whammy pedal) up here in Canada and I could not, for the life of me, get my hands on one at the time - But just a couple of years ago, when I was picking up my irrepairable DL-4, I found a stack of them sitting in the keys section of the music store.. N.O.S. fresh in unopened boxes and priced to go at $299 CDN.. I should have bought them all.. 12AX7A tube-driven, with a THIRD channel for the rotor (stereo horn spread) unbelievable sounding. Really helped take the sting out of the $50 'bench fee' I paid to find out my Line6 pedal could not be fixed..

10. clothwiring

It's a great pedal, only thing is they are a tad hard to find. Ebay is where I got mine a few years ago when someone posted it with BIN cheap. I got lucky.

11. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Can the Digitechs be run through the front of a vintage style amp (with less noise that the H&K)? That really was my only sound related issue with that pedal, I thought it sounded incredible.

12. drmathprog

drmathprog Member

13. ZJD

ZJD Senior Member

This has caught my eye too:
    [​IMG]
    The Little Lanilei 10" Rotary Wave Speaker.

14. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

My top picks would be:

1) The Leslie mode of the Digitech EX-7.
    2) DLS RotoSIM
    3) Voce Spin II

None of them come close to playing a Leslie 147 up-close and personal, but they're closer than most.

Other pedals I've tried and haven't liked include the Korg G4, Boss RT-20, H&K Rotosphere, and a long list of other "swirly" effects that aren't specifically touted as Leslie sims.

I've also passed on the Motion Sound SR-112 speaker. It's better than most pedals, but doesn't really stack up to a Leslie.

15. ZJD

ZJD Senior Member

Yeah I've considered getting the EX-7 just for the Flanger sounds alone but it just hasn't got the GAS rising in a while.

16. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

They sell kits for making these.

I imagine if kits are out there then the schematics for making even rougher versions are probably also out there . . . . and what could beat the real thing, and, you're own real thing?!

17. ZJD

ZJD Senior Member

[FONT=&quot]Any others out there that maybe aren't necessarily Leslie simulators but do great impressions? I'm thinking along the lines of vibe pedals.
    [/FONT]

18. clothwiring

The H2O can get in the range of Leslie tones, but you don't have control over slow/fast, you can set it with one setting. It's not great, but it does work.

19. valen

valen Member

I heard one guy in another thread raving about the Line6 Roto-Machine. Any comments on those ? Other than the fact that they are not TB, any other probs with them ?

20. drolling

drolling Member

It's the same idea as the Rotosphere - a marriage of digital simulation & pre-amp tube grunge, so unfortunately, it's not the quietest effect out there - but the noise levels are much less objectionable to me than the H&K's.

In fact, there's something about the RPM-1's noise floor that reminds me of the wheezing & grinding of my brother's genuine Leslie cab. I only use vintage style amps, and the RPM-1 sounds just astonishing w/the horns split thru' my '63 Vibroverb & AC-15TBX, and the rotor running up the middle to an Ampeg V-4 (bass head) w/home-made 2 15 cabinet.

Forgot to mention that it's a rackmount unit - that's probably a deal-breaker for some, but mine's sandwiched between the only two other pieces left of the old refridgerator-sized rig; an Electrix Repeater (another IVL product!) and a Lexicon JamMan..