Rotating Strat p/up/pickguard assemblies

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by ROKY, Jun 15, 2006.

1. ROKY

ROKY Member

Anyone, here, rather than owning 10 strats, keep a few different pre-wired
    p/up/pickguard assemblies around and switch them around ?

I've been thinking of doing this, for when I'm playing different syles of
    music, more, or less.

I know this is the gear page, and owning 10 strats is ideal, but it seems
    a bit more economical to do this, and, a simple matter of unsoldering the
    assembly from the jack, sliding the desired set under the strings, and voila !
    A different sound.

Hmmm, .... thoughts ?

2. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

Even better, talk to MikeyG about his ultra cool guitar with unpluggable pickups. Just grab the handle on the back side of the guitar, give it a yank, and plug in your new pickup. It takes about 30 seconds and no string change required!

3. Lavely

Lavely Silver Supporting Member

I'm thinking of doing this myself. To take it one step further, isn't there a way to avoid the soldering - kind of a "jack" you could use to plug in the pickup wires to the ground & jack wires?

Lavely

4. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Yes, Kinman has a good system for it, it's 3 screws in the guitar (Stratocaster).

5. BradKM

BradKM Member

I've got one that I have three different guard/pickup layouts for.

The important thing to watch out for is compatibility with the guards. Order them all from the same place if you can.

I've got three different guards from three different sources, and none of the holes match.

6. MjCartney

MjCartney Neo-Maxi Zoom Dweebie Silver Supporting Member

I've thought about doing this too, but haven't done anthing about it yet. I was considering using a Molex-type connector to connect the pickguard harness to the output jack & bridge ground to make the swaps as easy as possible.

I know this will make some of you cringe, but I really like EMG pickups on my Strats & am currently using the SAs with a master vol, master tone, and SPC control. Sometimes though, I'd like to just pop the stock single coils back in, and other times I think I might like to have some stacks from another favorite pickup maker, (This will make some folks cringe too. Sorry but I like 'em a lot), DiMarzio - and a passive set from my other favorite maker (who shouldn't make anyone cringe, 'cause you gotta love Scotty's work - I don't care who you are...), Harmonic Design.

It would be fun to do, although I'm pretty sure that after a time I'd start trying to justify to myself why I needed to buy some Strats - 'cause it's really a shame to have these completed pickguard assemblies just hanging around homeless....

And when I think of all the pickups and combos I'd like to try sometime, there'd be no end to the "guard madness" either!

7. Lavely

Lavely Silver Supporting Member

What is a "Molex-type connector"? Can you post a link where I can see the system?

Thanks,

Lavely

8. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

Did he make it himself or is it a Dodge convertible guitar? I *think* they went out of business but I'm not sure.

Joe

9. Bruce O'D

Bruce O'D Member

I have two spare, but I don't change them often enough to worry about quick connectors or whatever. It only takes me the time it takes the soldering iron to heat up and remove/replace 13 screws to swap them. The last one I did was at a gig, following soundcheck. The club had a ton of neon lights, and the Texas Specials were not happy. Actually swapped the pickguard from my backup guitar (which has Bardens) after soundcheck. After that I started bringing a spare.

10. MjCartney

MjCartney Neo-Maxi Zoom Dweebie Silver Supporting Member

Molex connectors are mulitple pin connectors that are used a lot in computers. Here's a link to Mouser's Molex page.

http://www.mouser.com/molex/

11. blueguitar

blueguitar Member

I've just used a couple of battery terminal clips to make this connection. Works fine and their easy to find.

12. notpetrucci

notpetrucci Member

Lol, a soldering iron is a strange thing to carry in the gig bag isnt it?

If its handy its handy I guess...

-Jon

13. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Good subject for a Zombie attack ...
    Been looking for some good one's lately

14. Brett Faust

Brett Faust Member

Braiiiinnnnns we want braaaaainns.
    But seriously look at GDK. Pickup changes in about 10 seconds without loosening strings. I do not know if they are in production yet, but it has been a long incubation period. A very well thought out solution.