roto choir, how does it stack up to RT-20 and others?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kurt1981, Feb 5, 2012.

1. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

Hey guys, been looking at a roto choir, but have a fewquestions for anyone who has one. On all the demos, I hear what really sounds like a flangey quality to all of the samples, is this pretty standard of the pedal, or just how the folks have set it on the demos? I also wondered, has anyone compared this with other sims out there, how does it stack up to the boss and or Line 6? I've had the roto machine, and it wasn't horrible, lacked the really dimmensional tones, but it got the job done. I can't afford the Neo or strymon at this point, so I'm kind of limited to the tech21 boss or maybe another roto machine, so I'm wondering if anyone's compared any or all of these? Thanks in advance,
    Kurt

2. JasonAz

JasonAz Member

I like mine. Very good sound. You can get so many sounds out of it. THeres a lot of modes.. if you heard samples online, they dotn show half of what it does... I only have 2 issues with it.... a little whooshy noise when activated...and theres this little buttons right by the footswitch that i accidentally hit when pressing it on, changing the mode. Rt20 I didnt like at all. not as many sounds choices and sounded fake.. Rotochoir I liked and id compare it to this rotochoir// i didnt like the line 6's volume drop though.

3. kurt1981

Cool, good to hear, do you find it overly flangerlike or is that just what I'm picking up off of crappy laptop speakers? I'm just hoping to find that slow grindy leslie sound that's so ellusive.
    Thanks

4. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

A few folks have noted a "flange"y sound to it, especially at slower speeds.

There has been a *lot* of discussion about Leslie pedals, and often those discussions compare the various pedals. I suggest doing a search through Google for "site:thegearpage.net roto-choir" and reading the huge amount of information and opinion which is already available.

Good luck!

5. Verythin

Verythin Member

I read many threads here about Leslies and the Roto-Choir and it always seems to get not-so-good reviews.
    I am totally happy with mine! It's quiet and natural sounding, and possibly the best for the price.
    I had a Roto-Sim and a Destination Rotation Single before, and the Roto-Choir beats them hands down.
    And no, I have never played a Lex or Ventilator, but with the Roto-Choir, I don't feel the need to.
    Possibly these get the better reviews because they're more expensive and not so easily available, this is TGP after all?!

:dunno

6. kurt1981

Cool, good to hear a positive review!! I'm just wondering how it compares to the boss, which is about in it's range. Can't find too much info on the RT20 around here. I just kind of didn't hear the really swirly quality in the roto's demos that I'm wanting, like I said, it's kinda flangey.
    Thanks,

7. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

This is the best demo of the Rotochoir so far. To me it sounds every bit as good as any of the Strymon Lex videos.

I couldn't get rid of the RT-20 fast enough. I know it gets lots of love I just can't figure out why. Really fake sounding to me and the OD was horrible. Ditto on the L6 roto machine. Terrible.

Just going by the T21 vid I posted I would say it EASILY grabs the best affordable Leslie pedal slot.

An even cheaper, but still better sounding than the RT-20, solution is the Digitech EX-7. Yes really. The leslie and vibe on that pedal are quite nice.

8. gmann

gmann Member

I really liked that, thanks for postin'!

9. Goldwing

Goldwing Member

I have the RT-20 and it gets the job done.. depending on what kind of job you want to do whit it. It doesn't stack well with distortions unless you roll back the highs..so its mostly a stand-alone unit, its OD sucks ...really sucks. But I only need it for clean sounds.

Another huge advantage of the RT-20 is that it allows to mix dry signal with effect signal and not just the level of the rotary effect.. not that many people need this but still an important feature if you need it.

Anyway..the rotochoir seems the best bang/buck in leslie sims, but for me it lacks the option of setting the "low speed"..maybe I'm wrong in this. For me, the rotochoir its the best choice, but I would like to have that knob to control the "low speed" setting..

10. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I don't see a slow speed control either - it looks like its fixed. Thats not a deal breaker for me however.

As for mix, the rotochoir gives you something similar to that with the position knob. As stated on the T21 website:

Want to vary the intensity of the effect? Simply adjust the Position control to move the Roto Choir's virtual mic closer or further from the horns.

Ok here's some good stuff straight from the RC manual

FAST/SLOW and TOP SPEED
    Fast/Slow emulates the two modes of a Leslie where Fast = Vibrato and Slow = Chorale.
    Slow mode is preset to vintage Leslie specs. Fast mode is determined by the setting of the Top
    Speed knob, which sets the speed of the rotor --from a complete stop at minimum to high speed
    at maximum.
    The ramp time is also preset to vintage Leslie specs and changes according to the position
    of the Biamped switch.
    In Single Speaker mode, the ramp up time is different from the ramp
    down time. In Biamped mode, you have two different ramp up times and two different ramp
    down times.

TIP: Frequently stomping on the Fast/Slow footswitch, so the sound never synchs up, is a
    common method of veteran keyboard players. Not to worry, our custom actuator can handle it.

POSITION
    Moves the mic closer to or further from the horns or speaker, depending upon the setting
    of the Biamped switch. At maximum it is the closest and you get a tremelo-like effect with
    noticeable volume swells. At minimum, it is the furthest away for more even volume. In
    Single Speaker mode, the mic is aimed at the speaker. In Biamped mode, the mic is aimed at
    the horns.

BIAMPED
    The up position (off) = Leslie 125-style/Fender®Vibratone-style Single Speaker mode with
    bottom rotor only. Engaged (pushed in) = Leslie 122-style Biamped mode, where the low
    and high rotors turn in opposite directions and at different rates for more swirly sounds.

SPEAKER SIM
    Speaker simulation is an integral part of the circuitry that completes the full experience of
    vintage Leslies. It is designed with inherently erratic and irregular peaks, valleys, and notches
    to give you that familiar, unique raspy grind. To engage, push the switch in.
    If desired, you can defeat the speaker simulation by disengaging the speaker switch (up
    position). This will give you a more neutral sound of the time delay effect only so you
    can achieve just a spinning speaker effect through your amp. Simply set the EQ flat and
    Drive at minimum with the Speaker Sim off.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012