Rough frets on a Suhr Modern

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by watleytatley, Oct 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. watleytatley

watleytatley Member

Hi all,

Got a Suhr modern in July from Eddie's Guitar in Reverb. It was a exclusive model for them with a roasted maple neck and roasted swamp ash body. Note that I am a fairly new player so this was my first good guitar and the guitar was flawless. Recently when I was learning the "Every Rose Has its Thorn Solo" I felt some resistance. Upon closer inspection I found that the fret wires 11,12, and 13 have a small rough spot in the middle its almost invisible but you can see it if u look very closely. The guitar with its stainless steel frets makes bending strings very easy almost effortless. There is never any resistance on any of the other fret wires. Other than this the guitar sounds and feel awesome. I get a lot of compliments on it. My guitar instructor tells me its one of the best guitars he has ever played. Its miles better than my last guitar. Is there a way to repair this? Can I contact the manufacturer even though it has been almost 3 months. I really wish I had found out about this sooner.

EDIT: Today afternoon less than 48 hours after posting this thread Suhr has offered to take the guitar back if I want them to and repair it for FREE. Amazing customer service. Thank you so much.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019 at 11:13 PM
  2. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Chat to Eddie's/Suhr CS.

watleytatley and John Hurtt like this.
  3. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

On consecutive frets? Maybe it was dropped during shipping(?)

4. RicardoDiazHimself

RicardoDiazHimself Member

Old oxidized strings can scratch SS frets. Perhaps upload a pic so we can take a look

Sean C. and watleytatley like this.
  5. sumis

sumis Member

never transport theguitar w/o the fret protector. a small ding in a steel fret will not be (gradually) gridded down by the string, as with nickel, but stay there forever. any good tech can level the frets though.

6. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

Why did you call where you bought it right away
    Was it bought new with no warranty

watleytatley likes this.
  7. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Contact John Suhr if Eddies won’t help. They have materials to polish SS frets that works great and takes 10 minutes.

I have a Suhr that is 13 years old and it needed it from a lot of exposure to salt air and corroded strings. Took no time and it is perfect.

8. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Does the small scratches cause playability issues or intonation problems? If not, I personally wouldn't worry. You could most likely have it buffed/polished. However, in some cases this is an error when the frets are being installed and levelled.. I wouldn't expect that on a Suhr but anything is possible. I've seen some tacky fretwork even on the most expensive guitars where someone overlooks something.

watleytatley and DV52 like this.
  9. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Just Wanna Be Misunderstood Silver Supporting Member Vendor

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    Welcome to TGP :wave

You can ask Mr. Suhr yourself. Calling @Husky

watleytatley likes this.
  10. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

*please use our Website and customer service

Do you use the fret protector? If not strings rubbing in the case or gig bag can micro nick stainless frets.

We can send you out a block with 15micron cloth sandpaper, it will take any of that out. Just contact CS and make sure you always use the fret protector.

Sean C., tnvol, riffy and 11 others like this.
  11. Husky

You are jumping to conclusions.

Sean C., watleytatley and TA22GT like this.
  12. YYZ

YYZ Supporting Member

Does that resistance only happen when you're playing the Every Rose has its Thorn solo? If so, maybe the guitar is trying to tell you something o_O

13. CaptNasty

CaptNasty Member

It’s like BeetleJuice but you only have to say his name one time
    :banana

14. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Don't think so, I was only highlighting it as a possibility.

watleytatley likes this.
  15. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

Got to love the quick response form Suhr and the suggestion. Can't beat that for customer service!

16. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

If it took 3 months to notice it, my first thought would be that something knocked the string into the frets to cause this.

But John has already provided the best solution for the OP.

17. Husky

This is the only issue with Stainless IMO, just carrying the guitar without the fret protector lets the strings grind in to the frets, its important to use the fret protector we supply. When Nickel Silver get rough, simply playing and bending will smooth them out, strings will not polish out stainless though. We use a hard rubber cushion on a block with 15 micron cloth backed paper as a final step, that will usually take out any roughness.

18. watleytatley

watleytatley Member

Hey thanks for the reply. This blew up. I posted this went to bed and went to work. Just had a chance to look at this. I see it has gained a lot of attention.

Sean C. likes this.
  19. watleytatley

watleytatley Member

This could have been the case I will upload a video I took from my phone soon.

20. watleytatley

watleytatley Member

I had a 30 day return period through reverb. Again there is no Play ability issue what so ever. This is my second electric guitar ever and the first one was a used Highway One Stratocaster which had to be tuned every time I bent the "G' string. I am not very well versed in guitar very much.