• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Rounding off fret ends

METAL

On one of my guitars, the fret ends don't stick out, however I feel like the ends aren't as smooth and rounded as my others. How difficult is it to round some of them? I've never done any type of fret work before, but I assume to do something like this, you just get a fret file and carefully round them off from the sides and maybe from the top down?

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
I assume to do something like this, you just get a fret file and carefully round them off from the sides and maybe from the top down?
Exactly. More or less.;)
Practice on something else first, not a nice one. Watch some vids, read.
Don't confuse fret sprout with fret rounding, either.

antvas1963

I bought one of these from Amazon for that same issue on two of my guitars and it worked great. It was very easy to use and you can see a lot of videos on YouTube on how to use it.

Mr Fingers

I've been doing fret work for a long time and have viewed many videos and read all kinds of instructions, and have yet to encounter a really good, clear description of the best method for finishing fret ends. God luck -- there's nothing like the feel of a guitar where this is done well. I've gotten pretty good, but mostly through freehand fussing rather than having a really repeatable set of steps.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
Yup, the non-marring fret end file Stu-Mac sells works great but it does take a little practice to get a feel for how to use it without overdoing it. You just want to slightly knock down the sharp corners without filing the fretting surface. A large magnifying light really helps. I also like to polish the areas I filed for a smoother feel...but that's just me. But, as tools go, some people shouldn't even look at a common screwdriver let alone try to use one;).

Ctom2

Silver Supporting Member
I've been doing fret work for a long time and have viewed many videos and read all kinds of instructions, and have yet to encounter a really good, clear description of the best method for finishing fret ends. God luck -- there's nothing like the feel of a guitar where this is done well. I've gotten pretty good, but mostly through freehand fussing rather than having a really repeatable set of steps.

I've used the method shown in this video a few times. Works great on an un-finished neck or one with a rosewood fret board because it's also going to lightly roll the edges of the fretboard. Start at 2:00

You can use this method with the fret end dressing file from Stewmac. Micro mesh pads can be used instead of the "fret rubbers" they sell.

Last edited:

SamBooka

I like a triangle file with the corners ground off, but that’s just what I’m used to using.
Before the internet that is what we used. I probably saw it first in the first erlewine book but is probably older than that.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom