Rounding out the Collection - What amp to buy?

onemind

After a prolonged period of acquisition....I've nearly run out of stuff to buy. But I'm sure I'm missing something...Here's what's in the quiver....

Aiken Intruder 30
Budda Superdrive 30
Fargen MiniPlex
Zinky Blue Velvet
Bogner Metropolis
Fargen Sabre (AC4 Clone)
Univalve
Mesa Rectoverb
Mesa Subway Rocket
Fender Super Champ

Definitely EL84 heavy, so what rounds out the collection? Somthing Tweedy? Or is it merely time for therapy....

Steve

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member
Bruno Super 100 or Komet 60. Both are different tonally than what you already have. :D

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Son, you're not even started yet! (sorry if you're older, just had to begin that way). You've got a lot of territory covered, but there's no truly classic amps on that list. You need, at minimum:
1. Tweed Bassman/bandmaster/pro/twin
2. Tweed Deluxe
3. Real JMI Vox AC30
4. BF Deluxe and Pro/Bandmaster/Super/Vibrolux
5. Plexi or metal panel Marshall (could use Germino) with original G12H30s
6. JCM800 (you could get away with Park or Wizard) with G12H-65s
7. Hiwatt pre-82 with Fanes
8. Something Dumbly

Once you've got that worked out, get back to me for advanced courses!:D

riffmeister

Originally posted by onemind
After a prolonged period of acquisition....I've nearly run out of stuff to buy. But I'm sure I'm missing something...Here's what's in the quiver....

Aiken Intruder 30
Budda Superdrive 30
Fargen MiniPlex
Zinky Blue Velvet
Bogner Metropolis
Fargen Sabre (AC4 Clone)
Univalve
Mesa Rectoverb
Mesa Subway Rocket
Fender Super Champ

Definitely EL84 heavy, so what rounds out the collection? Somthing Tweedy? Or is it merely time for therapy....

Steve
You need some more therapy. I recommend some more amps with 6V6 and 6L6 power tubes to be the most efficacious prescription.........tweed Deluxe, tweed Twin, and the like.....

Deaj

Aiken Intruder 30
Budda Superdrive 30
Fargen MiniPlex
Zinky Blue Velvet
Bogner Metropolis
Fargen Sabre (AC4 Clone)
Univalve
Mesa Rectoverb
Mesa Subway Rocket
Fender Super Champ

Steve
Rivera Jake or Rake maybe?

onemind

I should refine the question this way, which of these can go?

(thanks for all the replies so far!)

Steve

lhallam

Platinum Supporting Member
I generally categorize amps based on the early generations of the following:

Fender - subset blackface/silverface

Marshall

Boogie

Dumble

Vox

I know this is rather simplistic but I'm pretty simple. :)

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
I should refine the question this way, which of these can go?

(thanks for all the replies so far!)

Steve
Hmm, I will trade you my Belov 4 6V6 + cash for your Metropolis! M.E.

aquadog

The hiwatt sounds like a really good choice. Maybe a victoria or other tweed type clone.
Other options would be an orange- it may be el84, but they're pretty damn unique.
Also, what about a flexi? It could sorta replace the univalve, and then you can throw in any tube you want.

onemind

The Budda is definitely a keeper, its my second one, always regretted selling the first one, this one seems even nicer, quiet as can be and very chimey, a highly underrated amp I think. I'm leaning towards the tweedy side of things I think perhaps a victoria, nothing too high wattage. I hate to part with anything even the boogies server their purpose....The subway rocket amazes me sometimes for overdriven sounds with the contour engaged and just a little delay in the loop....it's a beast!

Steve

Fretmaster

Originally posted by cr8z4life
Divided by thirteen ftr 37 !!! :dude
big +1!! You've got the EL34 and EL84 thang. Now you need a killer 6V6 amp. And to these ears there's never been a better one than either the FTR37 OR SJT10/20! I love these amps. Quite simply some of the most amazing tones you will ever hear!:dude

MightyGuru

I played one of Roy's FATBoys before he moved out to California and loved it. If you're looking for a taste of classic tweed tone in a low watt package (this amp can use a variety of tubes, BTW) this amp is right where you wanna be. Great prices too.

Blankenship FATBoy

Aiken Intruder 30
Budda Superdrive 30
Fargen MiniPlex
Zinky Blue Velvet
Bogner Metropolis
Fargen Sabre (AC4 Clone)
Univalve
Mesa Rectoverb
Mesa Subway Rocket
Fender Super Champ

Steve
OK there are several directions I would think of. But having thought of that, I would suggest a Demeter TGA-3 first. You don't have anything like that, and it's a killer amp.

There are other things I would think of but the TGA-3 is at the top of the list.

Originally posted by Deaj
Rivera Jake or Rake maybe?
I didn't suggest that because he's got Fender bases covered so I'm guessing Rivera didn't grab him at some point in his experience. But Rake, especially if he can find a 100 Watt version, is definitely a worthwhile suggestion. S120 would also be outside his coverage area.

So yeah, Rake or Jake is like a good default. Everyone should have one....

Tomo

Aiken Intruder 30
Budda Superdrive 30
Fargen MiniPlex
Zinky Blue Velvet
Bogner Metropolis
Fargen Sabre (AC4 Clone)
Univalve
Mesa Rectoverb
Mesa Subway Rocket
Fender Super Champ

Steve

Hi Steve,

What are you really looking for the sound/tone?
styles?

Many amps based on vintage fenders.
How about black face fenders.

And more 2 12 cabs with different choices,
Governors, Toeespotters, Red Fangs, many others.

Tomo

Trending Topics