Rounds on an ebony fretless board?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by two fingers, May 14, 2020.

Tags:
  1. s2y

s2y Member

Most guys simply don't play fretless enough to do the damage they worry about. Round wound strings are fine as long as you don't try to grind the strings into the fingerboard and bend like you would on a fretted bass or guitar.

fretless likes this.
  2. FuzzFacetious

FuzzFacetious Member

Do they have a 5 string version too? I've recently discovered the joy of low guage string on guitar so I'll be doing the same with bass too, they sound like potentially the perfect ones for my instruments:)

fretless likes this.
  3. fretless

fretless Supporting Member

Yes they do. Definitely worth a try.

FuzzFacetious likes this.
  4. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

I hadn't tried these before, but your post got me to try a set. I put them on my fretted Precision bass. My first reaction is that they are fantastic. I'm eager to see how they break in. Thanks for the tip.

fretless likes this.
  5. amper

amper Member

You couldn't pay me to put roundwound strings on my fretless basses, least of all on ones with ebony fingerboards, like my Warwick Custom Shop Corvette Proline. That being said, lots of people do this because they prefer the sound, and simply live with the marring of the fingerboard, or have it periodically sanded down.