Route 66 Appreciation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by johnny5, Apr 18, 2005.

1. johnny5

johnny5 Supporting Member

So after having the Route 66 for a little more than a week, I think I am in love. The amp is so expressive, it’s hard to explain, but it’s something you must feel rather than listen to. I have been playing a Maz 38 for the last year and while that amp has wonderful tone, it’s not nearly as touch sensitive as the Rt66.

I was afraid the Rt66 would be dark as I have heard that form a lot of folks, but I don’t find it dark at all. It’s big and warm with very interesting mids yet cuts through a band mix easily. I LOVE how the tone controls work. You can really dial in a breakup point with them. Because the tone controls are not conventional, I can see how this amp is not for everyone. If you want MORE treble or bass, these controls don’t really work like the ones on your typical amp or home stereo, they add gain to those frequencies. They adjust dynamic to the eq as opposed to scooping out the mids or something. If you like the basic tonality of this amp, it’s an absolute winner.

It’s not real clean and doesn’t get all that dirty but it’s all places in the middle and it’s outstanding! I have to learn how to use my pedals with this amp because it will take them with so many more settings. I can have the Rt66 at 2 o’clock and have a distortion pedal in front and it doesn’t blow up!!?? What I am finding is that my pedals can be used for a larger variety now. I can have boosts, and even set something with a little dirt with little or no volume increase. It’s great.

I can go on gushing but must refrain. It’s a lot of fun. If your curious about this amp, you owe it to yourself to try one out.

2. Madison

Madison Member

I know the feeling! An hour ago I picked up the little bro to the 66, a Z28. Haven't plugged in yet, but given the way I dig Z gear I'm already gushing just looking at it.

Congrats on discovering an amp that, from all accounts, seems to work well from you. BTW, I'm from the "Maz Sr" camp too:)

3. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

I played a Route 66 through a Zbest cab recently and I was really impressed. It was a hair dark for my taste but definitely very usable. I loved the feel and most of all level of volume the amp produced when pushed. Perfect for clubs. The amp seems to fit that elusive gap between lower powered 15-22 watt amps and 35-50 watt amps. Great amp in a cool little package!

Congrats!

<M

4. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

I've been debating the purchase of a 66 lately.

Anyone give me an idea of the gain amount on tap? I'm looking for dirty blues that can get pushed with a pedal.

Does the bottom get mushy at higher volumes?

Works well with P90 guitars?

How does it Compare to a KT45?

Thanks

5. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

If you have any concerns about the Route 66 sounding dark, run it through a Dr. Z 4X10 cab with the Dr.'s speakers and your worries will be over. Also, the bass never mushes out on this amp, no matter how hard you push it.
    Rick

6. johnny5

not alot of gain but it's ability to take dam near any pedal let's you have all you want. the amp it self can get to a good AC/DC level of gain.

for dirty blues (ala zepplin's since iv'e been loving you) it's just about perfect. i have got some really good hard rock tones out of it to.

bottom NEVER mushes out.

i have a Hamer, semi hollow, all mahogany guitar with P90's and it's been my favorite with the Rt66. and i am liking my strat through it too.

i have played a KT45 but only in a store for about 1/2 hour in thier loud room. i liked that amp too. the Rt66 is similar but has a softer feel and is no so imeadiate and the bottom is not quite as huge. all because the non UL, solid state retified, EL34 output stage of the KT45. very similar but miles apart :)

i'll take the 66 anyday over th 45 as i am so into how this amp feels. it's almost like playing a great acoustic guitar. such response.

an analogy would be;
    Maz 38 - stiff and constant resistance spring when you push on it. as soon as you touch it, it's stiff and pretty much stays that way till your bottomed out.

Rt66 - like a variable stiffness spring thats soft when first touched and get stiffer the farther you push.

this way you can always be "in" the spring and kind of find a equalibrium. with my style of playing, i feel i like and am always getting kind of "bounced off" the Maz.

7. JES1680

Great post. Thanks for the info. I'm going to try a 66 in the next day or two and see if it follows me home.

Thanx

8. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

I picked up my first Route 66 about a month ago from a fellow forum member and I'm absolutely loving it! I couldn't begin to describe my feelings for the amp any better than what johnny5 already has....his description is dead on IMO.

I've been playing mine through a closed back Germino 2x12 with Greenbacks and with a Les Paul or McCarty with humbuckers it absolutely kills for the blues rock/classic rock tones I love.

The only thing I can think to add to what has already been said is that in order to fully appreciate the best tones that the Route 66 has to offer you must let those KT 66 power tubes get HOT!!

The amp really sounds great from the get go but I find the tone and response to improve significantly after about an hour of playing. Just something to keep in mind especially if you plug in and demo the amp for only a few minutes in a store.

9. JES1680

Anybody run theirs with an attenuator? I've got a hotplate that I'd use for practice at home.

10. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

My favorite attenuator to use with the Route 66 is a speaker cabinet loaded with Celestion Greenbacks! :D :dude

Seriously, I haven't tried any attenuators with mine... but I have read more than once on this forum that the 66 is considered to be one of the most attenuator friendly amps around.

11. johnny5

yeah, i am running mine into a open (sometimes closed) back 2x12 load with greens. it's a great sound. the greens again, not for everyone but i love em. it's not to loud and not too quiet. it is just right in the mix with my energetic rock band including a hard hitting drummer.

12. Ztone

Ztone Member

I run mine into a Zbest cab with an Airbrake. I couldn't be happier with the tone for my rock/blues stuff. It doesn't have that sparkely clean tone, but for low to mid gain stuff it's beautiful. Add pedals to taste for more gain and it's just about perfect. My current favorite amp.

Jeff

13. guitarcrazy2004

guitarcrazy2004 Member

dr z route 66 inhales pedals if needed toooo and hello fireball--what a super amp and it"s missed :D

14. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I have had mine for a few years now and I really can't add anything to this thread that has not been said already.

Perfect R&R and "dirty blues" amp, and the fact that it takes any pedals so well really opens up a lot of options.
    I use mine with a Jankins HW61, one GB and one G12H, and that is one fat sounding rig.

Stoopid simple.
    Great tone.
    Pedal Friendly
    Portable
    Not expensive
    Records GREAT
    Not stupid loud

Should I continue?

15. PerryR

PerryR Member

The 66 is my Fave Z.. and I think it should be the Poster Amp for Attenuators! It takes so nicely to an attenuator. The Frequency Response of a Route 66 lacks the upper sparkle and twinkle of a nice 84 or 34 amp.. thats just the nature of KT66 tubes. They are warm and full.. still capable of strong treble response, but in a warmer way. This happens to fit well with attenuators.. cause the first thing an attenuator effects is the very highest frequencies.. the sparkly stuff.

Since first getting my 66 in 98, I have used it with an attenuator at every show.. indoors or outdoors (back then i used a Trainwreck Airbrake, now I use a Z-Airbrake.. same design but smaller). I get my tone at the volume I need. If i need more volume, rather then open up the attenuator, I will normally ask for more in the monitor rather then create more volume on the backline. It makes for a great stage sound and volume no matter where we play.

16. beckanon

beckanon Member

How could I miss this thread?

I've had my Rt66 for just about a year now and the honeymoon isn't over yet. I bought it from fellow forumite Mightyguru...Joe was a big help in suggesting speakers and how to use the tone controls on the amp.

I can't really add much to what's been said, or what isn't already well known about this amp....full warm tone, yet not dark...takes pedals and attenuators well...lots of overdrive control with the tone stack and volume knob. I usually play my tele through it, but once in awhile I get in a humbucker mood and plug my Ibanez Artist into it, and man the 66 really sings all juicy-like with the hums.

As mentioned, it seems most all overdrive/distortion pedals like this amp. I am having real good luck lately using the BJF Sea Blue EQ pedal, dialed up as sort of a treble boost, overdriving the EF86 front end. Yowza! My overdrive peds (Lovepedal Eternity, Barber LTD, DS-1, Pedalworx NeoDrive) have hardly been needed lately.

:dude

17. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Oh, c'mon guys.....no fair!

You've gotta STOP this love-fest for the 66.........I'm beating myself up for selling mine

:mad:

:D

-jim

18. mtm105

mtm105 Senior Member

it's been 9 years now.

Still in love with Rt 66?

19. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

I had one for a while. The out of tune Ghost Notes drove me crazy. The Z28 I had didn't do that and was more manageable in volume.

20. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

Still have mine! Went to the 5U4 and love it!