1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Route 66 vs Germino

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Berre, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Berre

Berre Member

Hi everyone !

any one ever AB'ed a Dr Z Route 66 with a Germino lead 55, lead 55 LV, club 40 or classic 45 amplifier ?

what are you're opinions ?

g'z
    bert

2. Roe

Roe Member

the germinos are like marshalls, the dr zs are not.

3. Berre

Berre Member

yeah Roe, but the Route 66 has also KT66 in it, so isn't sounding Marshally ?

4. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

The Rt 66 is Marshally as is the Delta 88, though with a twist.

5. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

The Germinos are like great old Marshalls, the Z is it's own thing. Totally different pre-amp design between the two.

6. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

both great amps, both loud as hell but killer tone...

7. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Apples and Oranges. I have a 66 and a Masonette and both are fantastic amps. Different tubes, circuits but both are stellar.

8. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

I have a Route 66, a Classic 45, and a Lead 55. All three are GREAT amps IMO. The Germinos are dead on knock-offs of classic Marshall amps and the Route 66 while still very Marshally sounding...sort of has it's own thing going on. I play all three amps into a closed back, oversized, Germino 2x12 with Greenbacks so keep that in mind when you read my comments as well as the fact that there are subtle differences between all three of these amps that you can only detect from playing them for yourself.

You always hear that the Route 66 is very JTM 45-ish and while there's some truth to that... when compared to my Germino Classic 45 the Z amp has WAY more midrange to it's overall tone no matter how you e.q. the amp....and depending upon what you like tonally... may come across as a bit one-dimensional tone wise. Personally, I like the Route 66's midrange energy for a lot of applications....especially when I'm driving the amp hard as it really cuts through.

In comparison, the Germino Classic 45 has a much more open and glassy tone with less of the uber-present midrange of the Route 66. Therefore, the clean tones on the Classic 45 are much nicer IMO and have more of a 3D quality. When pushed hard the Classic 45 has a great overdrive tone that is more on the bluesy side of the fence than a Marshall that runs EL34's.

The Lead 55 is a late 60's plexi with a solid state rectifier and EL34 power tubes. It's a tighter amp with a quicker transient response to your pick attack and is much more aggressive sounding when pushed into overdrive as opposed to the bluesier sound of the Classic 45 and Route 66. It's also significantly louder than those amps as well.

IMO, all three amps are excellent choices if you are into classic old Marshall tones ala Hendrix, Cream, Free, AC/DC, old ZZ TOP, etc.. All three respond well to pedals and IMO....sound great through Celestion Greenback speakers.

9. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

I couldn't agree with Fireball more. I have a Rt 66 and Germino Lead 55.

10. scuff

scuff Member

And how would the club 40 differ from the two other germino models or the route 66?

Thanks

11. dewman

I had the Route 66 and sold it to get a Club 40. I liked the ROute 66 a whole lot but the Club 40 just had that Hendrixy/Robin Trower thing going on with a little Doyle Brahmall II. I wish I could have kept them both. I think the Route 66/ Germino Lead 55 would be killer since the Route 66 has considerable headroom and can give some nice cleans and intermediate breakup tones. It was a toss up between the Classic 45 and the Club 40, and I went with the CLub 40. No bad press for Dr. Z, his amps are pretty amazing and I will own one again in the near future.

12. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I'll second the two amps being completely different. The Dr. Z is definitely more of a different modern amp. The Germino is more/less a dead Marshall replica (some will argue that point). I thought the Dr.Z route 66 had an awesome clean tone. It was almost as good as the Two-Rock Onyx, and for me that's a huge accomplishment.

13. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

The Germino Lead 55 makes all of my guitars sound huge and monstrous. It's brighter and has more gain than my Route 66. I love both amps though. My Rt 66 can sound very much like a much higher powered Tweed Deluxe (I used to own a sweet 1953 Fender Tweed Deluxe, so I know first hand). It has that tweed character and midrange richness. With a 15" speaker, it can sound like a Tweed Pro (think T Bone Walker tone and your in the ballpark). With a single 12", Tweed Deluxe. With 2x12's it's like a low powered Tweed Twin with a bit of JTM 45 Marshall and Hiwatt type clarity to the upper midrange. Very cool sound, and it takes all kinds of pedals like no other amp on earth (other than the other EF86 Dr Z designs). My NKT Sunface (thanks yet again Phil M) through my Rt 66 has to be heard and felt to be believed. Same with my Dual Drive. WOW!

That being said, the Germino sounds bigger. More highs and lows. Crunchier. It's straight up Plexi with great cleans and screams. It takes pedals very well too. It's my balls out rock amp. Rt 66 has an interesting clean tone. Some folks like and some hate. It's got a cool sag to it as well, due to the tube rectification (Good thing I'm not at work. The email police might block this thinking I typed rectum).

Both amps are loud, with the Germino being really, really loud. I'm running both amps through a 2x12 with Celestion Lead 80s right now, but once I have the funds, I'll be looking for some Scumbacks, preferably the Greenback copies with the 96 db efficiency rating to help tame the volume without an attenuator. Both amps have to sound even better with Scumbacks.

I'm not sure exactly what sounds and applications you plan on using the amps in, but I hope this has helped some.

14. dewman

Cleans are awesome with both the Route 66 and the Club 40. The Classic 45 to my ears is a little warmer and darker and really shines when cranked. The Route 66 is a tad more compressed, or at least has a little more blues mojo than the Club 40. The Classic 45 has British biues mojo all day long. Both have tight bottoms, depending on speakers of course. With a Z best both are tight. They are about the same price too. You'll like the way the 66 takes overdrive pedals if that's your thing. Really matches well with them. The Germinos are great with pedals too, but man crank the Club 40 w/ presence at 9 oclock, bass at 10 oclock, volume 2 at 10 oclock and the rest of the controls at 2 and you hit THAT spot. Back off on the guitar volume and the clean is there in spades. I found that the Route 66 has more headroom but when you hit that spot it is righteous...loud too..If you can find one of the two amps used then that's the best solution, try it out and if it is a match go for it, these pieces are so great you'll have no trouble getting your money back if you bought them used.

15. Berre

Berre Member

wow !! that's some great info, this makes me putting my Route 66 up for sale and getting to buy a Germino amp...
    'cause the sound that you guys describe from the Germino's is what i'm after !! :dude yeehah....

thx for the great info everyone :AOK

greetings,
    bert

16. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Nice info, Dewman.....

Just curious, though......I'm in Philly, too and gig all over the place. WHERE are you able to play these things? Not many rooms where you can really crank it, anymore....

- jim

17. dewman

yeah you are right, mostly with jams at friends these days at home. I am loud, but not over the top. That's why I passed on the Route 66, it is awesome, but too loud for me with the Z best cab. The Germino sounds good and is quieter with my setup now w/ low efficiency heritage G12Ms. More $$ than greenbacks, but less efficient. COuple that with an airbrake and its a pretty manageable setup, arguably as loud as an 18 watter cranked, or even less. Better to gig with a Z Carmen Ghia or Maz or fender delux reverb. Then you can at least crank it a bit. I had this conversation with Chris Dipinto of Dipinto guitars cause I was looking to buy his early 70s marshall 50 watt head (tone was nice but more Judas Priest than I wanted , plus he wanted a bit too much for it) and he said that for his metal band it wasn't loud enough! Wonder where HE plays too...can't be Philly...