Route 66

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tacorivers, May 11, 2005.

1. tacorivers

tacorivers Silver Supporting Member

I got my Route 66 today. Its one of the older models for what that's worth. Current production tubes.

I think I have finally found the amp that I've been looking for! I've always leaned toward the JTM45 side of the Marshall spectrum, and this amp fits squarely in that camp! No, its not a direct copy of the JTM45. In fact, its better.

The most suprising thing is how good the clean sounds are. I knew that this thing could put out the dirt. What I didn't know is that the clean sounds are just as amazing. With a little short delay, it sounded heavenly on my digital recorder. Even without any effects, there is this spongy, thick clean sound that I love. Much different than most of the Marshall-type amps that I've owned (Matchless Clubman, Aiken Intruder, Aiken Invader, Aiken Tomcat, Savage Macht 12).

I've owned a Z28 as well, and I must say that I like the Route 66 much better.

2. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

The Route 66 was the first nice amp I bought. I sold it in search of something but I keep finding myself remembering the 66.

Great amp. About as good as it geets for me

3. trisonic

trisonic Member

How much headroom is there in th Route 66? I'm not overly concerned with pristine cleans, though!

Does it get terribly loud before giving up Bluesbreaker type tones?

Best, Pete.

4. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Pete, it gets pretty loud before giving up the goods.
    Some of this can be manipulated but only to a degree, the amp is what it is so to speak.

We rehearse tonight at http://www.futuresoundstudios.com/home.htm from 9-11:30, if you want to check it out drop me an E-mail.
    I planned on bringing it tonight anyhow, that and my new R7 = :D

5. trisonic

trisonic Member

That looks a decent facility! Unfortunately can't make it.

My ears got shot to hell when younger and I can't seem to take amps at/over 30 watts (tube) cranked anymore (I'm still younger than the 'Stones though)!

All the best, Pete.

6. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Couple things to note about the Rt 66...

- The bass and treble controls act as gain controls for those frequency ranges. They aren't just tone roll-offs.

- You can alter the break-up point and response with different rectifier tubes (5V4 for early breakup, GZ34 for later) as well as a different PI tube type.

enjoy!

Kiwi

7. tacorivers

tacorivers Silver Supporting Member

No doubt the Route 66 is loud! But it does very well with an Airbrake attenuator and it does take pedals extremely well.

8. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Takes pedals well is a gross understatement, it takes pedals better then any amp I have ever played.

9. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Lately I've been somewhat tempted to trade my Z28 up for a Route 66. Hmm.....

taco

10. rpavich

rpavich Member

that makes me think....I have a MAZ-18jr...would anyone trade a MAZ-18jr for a route 66?
    bob

11. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Do it
    Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it

12. rpavich

rpavich Member

What about me? Trade the MAZ?:D

13. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

You do it too, ok?
    :D

14. Blueser

Blueser Member

I haven't tried the Prescription ES yet, but I have tried all the other Z amps, and I think the Rt. 66 is the best of them all!!! It takes to an attenuator really well, and pedals just meld into it's sonic signature like no other amp I have heard!

15. Ztone

Ztone Member

My favorite amp hands down.

Jeff

16. johnny5

johnny5 Supporting Member

i have had mine for about 3 weeks and just can't get enough of it. it is such a joy to play.

as far as volume goes, i previously had a Maz38 and find it was much louder than the Rt66, but the Rt66 cuts in a band context much better. it's strange but true. i think it's due the the complex mids of the rt66 that no other instrument in the band is occupying. it is slightly more fucused in the mids than the maz but not pointed at all. it's thick but not too bassy, bright but not too trebley. the maz is very strong in the lows and highs and sort of natually scooped in the mids.

if i play for a while without ear plugs, my ears are definately ringing. but when your playing with an enthusiastic drummer, thats kinda how it goes.

now i have both the Rt66 and Maz38, thinking about selling the maz.......

17. lv

lv Supporting Member

I've had a few 66's and would like another. To me it is Z's classic amp that will go down in history. The 66 has a very cool bloom to it, strum a chord and just listen to it open up. The amp sounds even better after the KT66's warm up for about 30 min.

18. m1911

m1911 Member

Johnny5,
    Is your MAZ 38 an Invasion...or Senior model?
    I find you can dial in about anything you want with a Senior.
    Just curious...
    Mark

19. Cliff

Cliff Member

"The amp sounds even better after the KT66's warm up for about 30 min."

No kidding, the amp really does sound better after those big bottles warm up.

I've had my 66 for a number of years now, and although I play other amps, it's the one that keeps rising to the top. Each time I take it out, I'll change things a little. Sometimes, I set it clean and used OD pedals...then, set it up dirty and use a boost....or, crank it AND use an OD. What is amazing is how much variation you can get with three lousy knobs. Did I mention that the other guitar player in my band uses a Boogie Mark IV? It's got a dozen knobs, and that's just on the back....:)

20. johnny5

johnny5 Supporting Member

it's a Maz SR NR head. don't get me wrong. it's a wonderfull amp and sounds fantastic. the maz actually has more variety than the rt66 (from spanky to pretty gnarly od). My band mates don't really even know the difference between the two. i sure do. the two amps just feel different and i prefer the feel of the rt66.