Router question for stereo & XLR connection on pedalboard

DCMC Worship

Hey everyone! I’m trying to rewire my pedalboard and have run into a minor situation that I would like some assistance on.

I need the flexibility to run 2 types of connections from my pedalboard: stereo and xlr outputs. I am looking for a routing system that can allow me to permanently have both connections on the board, and through the use of a toggle or foot switch, select the appropriate one I need based on the venue. Sometimes I play with one amp, 2 amps, or connect straight to the FOH.

I'm thinking my 2 Eventide Space stereo outputs would connect to neutrik jacks in the router/patchbay, then split the signal: 2 outputs connect to my 2 board mounted neutrik jacks and one connects to my board mounted DI box, which then connects to a board mounted XLR jack.

I was thinking a stereo AB selector (like the one below) might do the trick. Any ideas from the pros at TGP?

Thanks.

Last edited:

ironman28

Gold Supporting Member
Maybe I am missing something but why do you need to switch outputs? Why not leave everything wired and then use the appropriate outputs for your rig/venue? The DI box would pass the signal thru to the standard output jack

DCMC Worship

I have 2 1/4" neutrik jacks and an XLR jack hardwired on the board. If I pass the signal through the DI box, how would I split the signal after the box to hit all 3 jacks? The DI is not stereo and only has 1 XLR output.

I may be missing something as well. Looking for options. I don't want to keep plugging and unplugging connections on my pedals.

pale fire

Silver Supporting Member
If you also want to go wireless you could look at the new Line 6 Relay G70 and G75. I have the G75 with a G70 on the way. From the receiver you can run to two separate 1/4" outs, a separate XLR out and a tuner out. You can also set up "scenes" and switch between them (by footswitch or hand) to determine which output combination you want to use. I don't go this far, but you can also have multiple transmitters and the scene you set would also be tailored to which instrument you are using.

DCMC Worship

Thank you for the responses.

I don't really want to run wireless, just yet. I need to split the two outputs from my Eventide Space and get to 2 neutrik jacks and an XLR jack mounted on my board with a DI box in-between. The DI only has 1-1/4" input and 1 XLR output. Ideas?

goodhonk

I agree with ironman28, i dont think you need it footswitchable. The cheapo direct boxes im using have xlr and in/out 1/4". I cant recall the brand atm.

ironman28

Gold Supporting Member
I have 2 1/4" neutrik jacks and an XLR jack hardwired on the board. If I pass the signal through the DI box, how would I split the signal after the box to hit all 3 jacks? The DI is not stereo and only has 1 XLR output.

I may be missing something as well. Looking for options. I don't want to keep plugging and unplugging connections on my pedals.
What DI are you using?

DCMC Worship

I didn't even think about the thru output! Thank you so much!!

Ironman, with this setup, do you know if the Eventide Space will recognize when stereo is required or not? Meaning, the 2 outputs on the pedal are permanently connected but not necessarily needed, depending on the venue requirements.

ironman28

Gold Supporting Member
dont know about the eventide functions. Maybe there is a setting for each patch. Worst case you can unplug one output on the eventide

DCMC Worship

Iroman, tremendous help, dude. This cleared it all up, and, I don't need another box to connect. Also, thank you for taking the time to design the graphic. I'm a visual learner and that helped a lot.

Eventide will detect stereo when two output jacks are plugged in. I think to put it back into mono, you'll have to pull one.

minty901

Dont know about OPs situtionbut just wanted to say that bright onion pedals is one of the best companies ive had the pleasure of buying from. And I have that stereo AB that OP linked a picture to, and it works like a charm.

minty901

Minty901, how are you using the stereo AB in your rig?
In reverse direction. I have 2 stereo inputs and 1 stereo outputs. The 2 inputs are my keyboard (which is stereo), and my guitar (which has been split to stereo by a stereo pedal). The outputs go to my remaining stereo pedals and looper, then direct to my interface. This allows me to switch between keyboard and guitar easily, without losing the stereo image of my keyboard. I like this as I like to build up loops on my looper spontaneously using guitar as well as keyboard (with which I play drums, piano, violin etc. samples).

Trending Topics