Rowin LN305 "Raving" Hiwatt Distortion pedal-Anybody have one?

WhoJamFan

Silver Supporting Member
Just saw these on Reverb, I don't know what 80s Hiwatt distortion they are referring to, bit interested to know about it and no demos on youtube at this time.
What really interests me, is the 3 position toggle choice of "OFF".
Could that mean in the off position, it sounds more like a clean Hiwatt?
Could be great on a fly board if I have to use the loop on a provided backline for the clean sound when in the sidetrack loop of my Amptweaker Big Rock Pro.

WhoJamFan

Silver Supporting Member
Hope they weren't after the D100L made in Modesto 80s sound, had the displeasure of being my first Hiwatt amp that had my scratching my head as to what all the fuss was about.
Luckily, did some research, and figured out is was a much different beast than the Hylight era ones. Back in them days, there was no internet you could just get on to research stuff.
Anyways, anybody try one?

calfzilla

Cynical Hack
Easiest/cheapest way for anyone to get different gain sounds is to add clipping options, so that switch is probably a "low" amount of clipping, a "high" amount of clipping, and no clipping being off. Whether or not that would be clean, can't say for sure.

Menatone MenaWatt is a pretty awesome Hiwatt pedal!

WhoJamFan

Silver Supporting Member
Easiest/cheapest way for anyone to get different gain sounds is to add clipping options, so that switch is probably a "low" amount of clipping, a "high" amount of clipping, and no clipping being off. Whether or not that would be clean, can't say for sure.

Menatone MenaWatt is a pretty awesome Hiwatt pedal!

I have no doubt the Menatone is awesome, but I need a small pedal that might work on my fly board for those times a provided backline has iffy input jack and/or preamp tubes worn to hell or not working right. I've got the drive covered to go into an amps return, just would be nice to have a mini for the clean if I needed it.
I've had all the under $200 Hiwatt in a box pedals, none really nail the clean tone.
The only one that came close was Lumpys Leeds Boost, who if course, went off the grid shortly after I sold mine, and doesn't appear to be offing those anymore.
I've got the AMT V-1 and F-1 pedals, and they're great for what I need, was just hoping this mini might do the same kind of thing, but Hiwatt flavored.

Dandolin

On the Amazon page for this pedal it includes the following in the summary:
  • 2Modes:HI/OFF/LO
  • Normal and mides [I assume this is a typo and they mean "modes"] for high or low EQ emphasis
So, it looks like the switch is for choice of EQ emphasis and not clipping mode....

I don't think cleans are a likelihood with this pedal. I am interested to hear it, though. I'd love a pedal that gave me a Hiwatt type EQ and response from my Fender Blackface-ish amp (Alessandro Working Dog Rottweiler). I haven't been willing to pay Menawatt money, though. And I'm not really as interested in the pedals that are producing a "high-gain" Hiwatt sound, because, well, I don't really think of the classic Hiwatt amps as "high gain." At all.

Have you tried the Tech 21 Leeds?

Last edited:

WhoJamFan

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, didn't like it at all.
Yes, I agree on the high gain Hiwatt sound in pedals is missing the point.

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
the 5 knob Bearfoot Model Hs gets spanky clean with the gain down. I've never played a Hiwatt amp actually so I don't know how close it gets but I do know it's clean as clean gets with the gain knob down all the way. not that i have one listed in the emporium or anything....

Trending Topics

Top Bottom