Roy Buchanan - Live from Austin TX

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by tommc, Feb 9, 2012.

1. tommc

tommc Member

I hadn't seen this one in awhile. Excellent high quality vid from Austin City Limits. 32 minutes Such a great player. gear = guitar/amp, period.

lavinci, dez and Lespaulsignature 74 like this.
  2. Elvis Nixon

Elvis Nixon Member

Yep. Roy was beyond amazing. The definition and proof of the old "it's all in your hands" thing. A telecaster, a guitar cable, and a Vibrolux amp. All those sounds he gets.....

I grew up in Washington DC and was lucky enough to see Roy play in clubs a couple times. He was real paranoid about people stealing his sound. As you can see from the video, he used to put a piece of black tape over the "Vibrolux" label on the face of the amp in addition to turning the amp backwards facing away from the audience.

If he was playing a local club show and noticed someone he thought may be a guitarist trying to eagle-eye him, he would turn his back to the audience and play the rest of the night that way. Amazing and under rated player IMO.

Jazzydave likes this.
  3. Jazzydave

Jazzydave Seeker Silver Supporting Member

Bumping this thread for further conversation. I came across this a few months ago and it got me excited about the guitar again...

4. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Member

I saw Roy Buchanan in a concert gig. His approach to stage presentation was almost totally non existant. He managed to drink a number of cans of beer, spoke very little between songs, tuned up a number of times, but boy did he play those strings off that guitar.

A totally unbelievable & individual style of playing. I have never heard anyone else come close to what he did.

sahhas, murraythek and Jazzydave like this.
  5. Jazzydave

I spent some time researching him after coming across this vid of him playing "Hey Joe." He seemed to suffer from deep depression and paranoia early on, which plagued him throughout his life.

sahhas likes this.
  6. Tomo El Gato

Tomo El Gato Member

I love Roy's Blues from that show. It's exciting for both the traditionalist and avant guardist in me. Brilliant improviser.

Jazzydave likes this.
  7. Jazzydave

I must admit, the ACL show is the only one that really gets me going. He must’ve been feeling great that night!

sahhas and Tomo El Gato like this.
  8. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Member

Like Danny Gatton one of the only other guitarist that people mention in the same breath as Roy Buchanan he lived a life out of step with the world around him.
    It would seem that level of brilliance is a heavy burden to carry.

9. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I once saw him play in PG county in the equestrian center. He had been signed to Alligator Records and was playing a trio concert with Vinnie Santoro(Sinbad) and Cary Ziegler(Crack the Sky). That was the day I met Danny Gatton. The concert was not memorable.

Jazzydave likes this.
  10. Shreve

Shreve Katzenjammer Kid Gold Supporting Member

St. Michaels, MD. Town that fooled the British
    Saw him once at Painters Mill Music Fair in Owings Mills, MD. Front Row seat! He came on with a 6 pack of PBR tall boys hanging from his waist! Expressionless throughout most of the show, but he did rip it up. Vibrolux turned backwards on a chair. We don't need no effects pedals!

After much searching, I finally bought this. Original, with the vinyl in great shape. Don't ask me what I paid for it!

[​IMG]

Jazzydave likes this.
  11. Jazzydave

On a quick side note...looks like we may be returning to the DC/NoVA/MD area and I plan to get at least a trio together... :D

12. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

Never got to see him live but I have always been an admirer of his playing......amazing what sounds he could pull off with minimalist equipment !

Jazzydave and VaughnC like this.
  13. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Never got to see the man live but, with all the audio & video I've experienced, Roy got more sounds out of a guitar than was originally designed into it and he seemed to have more notes on his fretboard than anyone else :eek:. Amazing talent...but I always read internal conflict on his face. Wonder what the world didn't know about him that caused him to be the way he was? Wonder if he sold his soul to the devil somewhere along the way.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Jazzydave likes this.
  14. standard24

standard24 Member

I saw Roy one time playing a Tokai... He even pointed out the logo on the headstock.

PedalFreak and Jazzydave like this.
  15. Michael6120

Michael6120 Member

Silly, silly question... but Roy was very much an improv player right ? I'm sure he had "ball park ideas" mapped out in his brain, but his playing sounds very spontaneous to my ears. I'm wondering if I'd be correct on this assumption?

16. Jazzydave

I'd think so.

Michael6120 likes this.
  17. Davepitt11

Davepitt11 Member

I've heard live clips of Messiah where every time he plays the signature line he just phrases it differently in some way. Dude gives me chills with some of his playing. I remember reading a Guitar Player article about him back in the day and his wife's theory of how he died, and how he had a wild raccoon as a pet. Wish he had done more stuff with Delbert McClinton because I think the 2 of them blended so well together.

18. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

Do you remember what color the Tokai was, and where you saw him?

I own a Tokai now that was played by Roy. Roy gave the original owner a Pickup that Seymour Duncan made for him, I own that now too. Just wondering if this is the guitar you saw.

19. standard24

standard24 Member

I don't really remember the color... Sorry. But it was at "Josephs Foodliner" (converted grocery store) on St. Mary's St. in San Antonio.

Could this be it???

PedalFreak likes this.
  20. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

If that was it, not the one I own. The original owner of mine opened up for Roy, can't remember where it was. Roy broke a string and asked to borrow that guitar, played it a couple songs. After they got talking about pickups and Roy had an extra, Seymour made him 2-3 to try, and my friend was telling him that it "was a smoking" sound. It's a SUPER bright pickup, I ended up taking it out, but I have a tele build planned that it'll go in.