Roy Clark

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Headshok, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Headshok

Headshok Member

He has to be one of the most gifted guitar players that have ever lived. Any of you been influenced by him, Buck or Jerry Reed?

MrLahey, muzishun and Wildwind like this.
  2. Lewguitar

Lewguitar Member

I always thought Roy was super talented and entertaining but muffed a few too many notes.

Like his two hands weren't quite in time with each other or that he just tried to play faster than he was actually able to execute cleanly.

Course I tend to notice the things in other players that also bug me about my own playing!

3. Headshok

Headshok Member

I don't know. Doesn't sound like he muffed any notes in this

or this

4. winterblu

winterblu Supporting Member

Never was a fan but I appreciated his talent and ability. He could really tear it up.

5. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member

even as a "kid" a totally too cool, self absorbed Surfer dude and completely committed to banning all C&W... I loved him, Buck Trent, Jerry Reed, Chet Atkins... don't tell my surfer dude, friends.. they'd probably hurt 'em selves stumbling over their walkers to smack me with their canes...

ron kirn

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  6. Headshok

Headshok Member

I did as well. I was into Rush, Trower and others as a kid. But when HeeHaw came on, I would plop down in front of the TV and watch it. He and Buck Owens were great.

lugnut111 likes this.
  7. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I've always been of the mind that, with few exceptions, if a player gets it all clean and exact every time, he's phoning it in.

I think we're way too influenced by recorded music which, especially since the beginning of the digital age, has been sanitized by the ability to punch solos and performances.

When I listen to stuff recorded in the 50s and 60s there are mistakes here and there that were let go simply because budgets didn't allow for entire retakes. It in no way affects the total mood and vibe of the performance.

8. Ron Kirn

Well duh. . . those women were totally hot.... :p

9. Headshok

Headshok Member

Yes they were!

10. Seektone

Seektone Member

That acoustic clip is really cool - I've never heard anyone approximate flamenco strumming with a pick on a steel string before! Thanks for sharing

11. Ron Kirn

Well . . . I have this Nephew, Jonathan Dotson..... :D google 'im

rk

12. nasonm

nasonm Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of Roy. Much like Buck, I grew up with them on TV but didn't appreciate their own music until later in life. I'm a huge fan on his Lightning Fingers and Roy Clark Live albums.

13. Lewguitar

Lewguitar Member

You're right!

I also think it's part of Roy's schitk to try to play a little faster than he is actually capable of playing cleanly, and make faces and all that. :D

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    Flyin' Brian likes this.
  14. Mickey_C

Mickey_C The Original Racketeer

Roy was an incredible guitarist, musician, and showman. Like many others here, Hee Haw was a staple of my childhood TV viewing.

For the naysayers: Jimmy page playing live flubbed more notes than any guitarist I've ever heard, far more than Roy. I think he gets the free pass simply because there are more rock guitar fans than country, and so few of us that love both. Which is ironic, because it was the hot country guitar playing that influenced so many english would-be rock-guitar stars.

There's a Beethoven quote that seems to apply here, but I'm having trouble remembering it...

15. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Agreed

To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable!

Sometimes attributed to Beethoven, sometimes others. Regardless it's a great point.

16. Headshok

Headshok Member

Roy could play extremely clean if he was not doing his comedic schtick. I watched several video's of him playing the same song. When he was trying to be funny, the mistakes happened. When he was playing seriously, like with Chet Atkins, his playing was quick, clean and precise. Roy and Jerry Reed were probably some of the only guitarists that could play on par with Chet at his best.

17. lemonpaul59

lemonpaul59 Member

That is one fine jazz guitarist right thar! Yep, almost like he put on his Howard Roberts hat. Great rendition of "Caravan". No doubt Roy is familiar with the Wes Montgomery recording.

The only problem was, he didn't do nearly enough of it on TV.

Roy Clark is good friends with George Benson, they've known each other for decades.

I'd love to see Roy put out some jazz standard recordings, "Roy does the Real Book", or something along those lines. He really has such a knack for jazz guitar.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  18. Headshok

Headshok Member

Roy was such a complete guitarists...country, rock-a-billy, jazz, rock, he could play it all with style and finesse. And it sounds like just him plugged into an amp. No effects. And he genuinely appeared to enjoy playing. He has moved to my top five guitarists of all time.

19. drpoyer

drpoyer Member

Roy is not dead...

20. Headshok

Headshok Member

He actually started playing Heritage guitars and they had a signature guitar for him. I just watched a video and I can't really tell what his guitar is, I think it is a Gibson ES175 (?) from the headstock, but Good Lord, can he play. The guitar appears to have a Charlie Christian pickup in the neck.

S3bird likes this.