Royer 101 or 121?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by jcshirke, Feb 1, 2012.

1. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

I'm probably going to spring for a Royer mic pretty soon. I've heard that the 101 is a great mic, but I'm wondering if it's worth the extra $400-500 to get the 121. This is exclusively for micing guitar cabs/combos.

That said, I have *a lot* of very, very nice amps. So I don't want to cut corners. In fact, that's why I'm considering a Royer in the first place. I'd combine it with a good dynamic mic--probably a Sennheiser e906, although I have a e609 and an SM57 also.

Anyway, if anyone here has used both Royers, or if anyone here owns the 101 and cares to gush about it, I'd love to get some feedback.

Thanks,

Jeff

2. TheAmpFactory

TheAmpFactory Member

The Royer 121 is ALWAYS my goto mic other than a dynamic (57 or 402) - words cant really describe what it offers, dynamics pick up a lot of the mid/uppermids, and the royer does the whole specrtrum but with very subtle highs that are in no way harsh. - but its really only to be used as a blend mic rather than a single, the dynamics are the best for that. - but take the 101 out of the blend. and your left with a dead sound.

Others you can think about. - Sennheiser MD409 or 421 (421 quite simular to the Royer but less expensive)

Electrovoice RE20 is another great mic. or for a cheaper alternative AKG C414

Thing is (depends how hard you push amps) - you dont want to put the Royer close mic'd, always sounds best catching full air, so about 2 inch away from grill (on axis) - wiht the dynamic mic phase alligned same distance.

The 101 is not so good at freq responses, if budget is stopping you then its still a great mic, but the 121 is the far better in every way!.

3. jcshirke

I have heard that the 101 doesn't have quite as full of a frequency response as the 121, but no one has said that it was "not so good" until now. What do you think it lacks compared to the 121?

Thanks.

4. KidArchitect

KidArchitect Member

Havent tried the 101, can't comment on that mic.

121 is a staple mic - if you have the budget, go for it.

If you want to dip your feet into the ribbon mic world and are trying not to spend as much, go for a Cascade FatHead w/ lundahl transformer.

5. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

121. i've got a pair and love 'em!

6. jcshirke

Any experience with the 101 at all?

Thanks.

7. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

i haven't had a chance to try the 101 yet. it's a royer...i'm sure it's at least half decent! if it were me, though, i'd spend the extra dough and get the industry standard of ribbon mics, the 121. make sure you pick up a good shock mount with elastic bands (audio technica makes a good one).

8. TheAmpFactory

TheAmpFactory Member

121 is rounder/smoother and higher range, the sound sonically is more open/free. to me this is the best description I can give..

9. RockDC

RockDC Member

Never used the 101 but man that 121 is fantastic! I use it as much as possible.

10. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

i have a pair of 121's and was actually considering letting one of them go.
    feel free to pm me with any trade or cash offers.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012