Royer 121 fans or haters UNITE!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Cary Chilton, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I am seriously thinking about buying this ribbon mic for rock guitars, I know it is a safe tried and true rock guitar mic. Lately, I have been seeing it for sale? I wonder,...... what the people who sold their Royer 121's bought in place of it? Or did they simply give up recording???????? hehe

2. loudboy

loudboy Member

It's the one piece of recording gear, out of $10K worth in the past few years, which has given me the biggest bang for the buck, sonically.

Especially on clean/mid-gain stuff. When you bring the fader up in the control room, it sounds just like the amp.

I couldn't recommend a piece of gear more highly.

Loudboy

3. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

The Royers are excellent for getting a certain vibe. You might want to check out the Russian Oktava ribbons (some are being imported by E-H under their name for about $350). They've been getting some good reviews. There is a USA Oktava site that sells the Oktava branded ones for about the same money, and they're the Russian mics, not the Chinese imitations.

Caveat: I haven't heard the Oktava ribbons. I have used the Royers.

4. alphadynamic

alphadynamic Member

:dudeRoyers are the mutts nuts IMHO. I recently recorded a session in an old church house, and used a pair on a Marshall hand wired combo, and an Orange AD30, and in 12 years of professional recording I don't think I have ever had a better recorded guitar on tape. A bit pricey though
    !

5. onemind

onemind Member

I recently listed mine for sale. It wasn't for a lack of love, but the second reason, I rarely record anymore, and often go direct if I do, just can't crank an amp the way I would want at home. I figure it will be better off in the hands of someone who'll use it.

6. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

couldn't recommend the 121's enough. they sound great on almost every amp I've played/tracked.

7. SlipRake

SlipRake Member

R-122 for me. Awesome piece of gear. Useful for recording at all distances and on or off axis. My highest recommendation also.

8. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I've been curious about Royer microphones for a long time. Just how fragile are they? I work in a few different studios, so I'd be transporting the microphone regularly. Should I be worried about damaging a Royer during transport more than a condensor?

Thanks,
    Bryan

9. Sub-D

Sub-D Guest

great mic as the others said, I wish I could afford one for my
    home studio........definitely high on the gas list.......

10. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

I would LOVE a Royer 121...but man at $1k...I don't generate enough money or talent to justify it.

BUT, I did pick up one of these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=277069

[​IMG]

I got mine in a group buy directly from China for about $90 after tax, duties, S&H. I don't know if it's worth $250, but it's worth $100. It's a bit darker, but very smooth. Takes EQ very well. I put an e609 up against the grille and the ribbon a couple feet back.​

Here's a clip:​

11. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Very helpful. Now I'm lusting for a 122.

Thanks,
    Bryan

12. E-Rock

E-Rock Member

13. toomanyhoursx

toomanyhoursx Member

totally worth it. it will make your guitars sound so much meatier. our new album was recorded with a 121 and 57 combo through API pres... and i've never heard my guitar sound so heavenly kick ass.

14. elambo

elambo Member

121 fan here... Can't see how someone could NOT be. It's just one of those things.

15. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I was thinking an AEA r92 fan would pipe in for comparison.... I have a quote for a royer 121 for 980 new, so I think I will bite.... :)

16. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

Any of you guys own both a 121 and 122?

If so what would you consider the difference (other than the 121 being able to handle much higher SPL's)?

I've used a 122 with an acoustic...........

17. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Supporting Member

I would really love to have both in my mic briefcase. Very expensive, but absolutely worth it. The guy where I took a recording studio camp at loves those mics, as much if not more than the Neumanns.

I would imagine those selling would be doing the same thing I was doing, unloading gear they weren't using because they need the money for those pesky necessities, like food, rent, clothing.

18. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

Thanks Splatt!

19. Sub-D

Sub-D Guest

20. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member