RP1000/GSP>Torpedo WoS>DAW : Will be demo recording : any requests ?

Baminated

I can't bypass the power amps on the rp or gsp, so i will be

(1) just using the Wos cab sims on the amp models, and
(2) possibly just the OD pedals through the WoS power amp AND cab sims.

Any requests , limited to that of the RP1000/GSP/Wos regarding

(1) which combos of cabs/amps &/or power amp sims/pedals ?
(2) which cover tune/riffs ?

Last edited:

Baminated

I've done this experiment, lots of fun.
ya, it's freeware -
Question:
As far as direct goes through FRFR in live cover band situations, with the torpedo CAB pedal being $500ish, and the kemper/AFII being $1000 to $1500+ more than that,
Is there $1000 to $1500 improvement amp/IR wise for live coverband purposes if i'm just using 3 basic amp settings (clean, between, mean) and basic effects (boost, OD, delay. verb, mods) on tunes that don't require crazy effects ?

Last edited:

jbealsmusic

ya, it's freeware -
Question:
As far as direct goes through FRFR in live cover band situations, with the torpedo CAB pedal being $500ish, and the kemper/AFII being $1000 to $1500+ more than that,
Is there $1000 to $1500 improvement amp/IR wise for live coverband purposes if i'm just using 3 basic amp settings (clean, between, mean) and basic effects (boost, OD, delay. verb, mods) on tunes that don't require crazy effects ?
Yes. Virtually any current sub-$500 modeler combined with the Torpedo Cab. The quality of the cab sims makes all the difference.

Baminated

Yes. Virtually any current sub-$500 modeler combined with the Torpedo Cab. The quality of the cab sims makes all the difference.
I'm thinking so, thanks for the reply. So does your, "yes", mean that, if I

(A) choose to invest $500 towards the topedo cab to use w/my RP1000/GSP, INSTEAD OF
(B) choosing to spend $1500 or more towards one of the big two higher end modelers, that

I should choose (B) instead because the modelers in (B) would sound $1000 more or $1500+ better than the RP/GSP>torpedo if the duties are mainly for cover band stuff w/ 3 different amp modes, and "usual" effects ?

jbealsmusic

(A) choose to invest $500 towards the topedo cab to use w/my RP1000/GSP, INSTEAD OF
(B) choosing to spend $1500 or more towards one of the big two higher end modelers, that

I should choose (B) instead because the modelers in (B) would sound $1000 more or $1500+ better than the RP/GSP>torpedo if the duties are mainly for cover band stuff w/ 3 different amp modes, and "usual" effects ?
It depends entirely on how discerning your ears are. Also, how much you are willing to compromise for a lower price point.

I can hear a great difference between my RP1000 and a newer (possibly higher priced) unit. However, the difference isn't worth the dollars for my budget. So I happily settle for less. A Torpedo CAB would offer an improvement in tone over what I have now. But is it a big enough of an improvement to justify $500? Not for me, but maybe for others.

It all depends on you. Your ears and your budget. Good luck!

BCy2k

If I understand your original question correctly, I'd say the Torpedo CAB would deliver roughly equivalent sonics to the IRs from the Kemper & Axe FX II, albeit the T-CAB is mono. If running direct is a priority for your particular situation, and you don't want to spend the extra coin to get a Kemper or Axe FX II, the Torpedo CAB is definitely worth a look.

I've been using a T-CAB live for a few months now, and for me it solved a lot of issues. I am, however, extremely interested in the new modeler/multi effects pedal/IR loader from Studio Devil & Atomic Amps, the AmpliFire. Which offers stereo IR capability and so much more. There's still much to think through, but I'm definitely leaning in that direction.

Will Chen

Platinum Supporting Member

I think you should choose to spend your money the way you see fit. I'm not the type of guy who gets nit picky over tone in a live scenario (unless its really bad) and focus more on musician and crowd interaction. But I've read a great many threads of folks with the exact opposite attitude. I just sold my Kemper and have been playing my GSP 1101 with a Bogner Blue pedal in the preamp loop. As I still use a bunch of outboard effects and really only 2 or 3 amp tones on a regular basis, the Kemper was overkill to me. That said, I still think its the most amazing piece of guitar gear I've tried and there is a gap in feel between the Digitech stuff and the Kemper, but using high quality IRs pretty much bridged the tonal gap for the types of tones I like. I don't need to exactly emulate 1000 tones, just a few.

trabant

I bought a Two Notes Torpedo CAB for use with my RP1000. I sounded great and is a great product. However, I ended up returning it. I just couldn't justify the price for what I felt was a marginal jump in quality to my rig (especially since I got the RP for $300). I only use about 3 different amp tones and I can usually find a handful of cabs within the RP that work reasonably well. Plus, with a Line 6 M9 in the loop I am learning how to EQ things a lot better and really squeeze a lot of performance out of the gear I do have and can afford. So essentially, the limits that my current gear places on me have taught me a lot about how to get better tones within those restrictions.

That being said, the $500 I spent on the Two Notes is now going into a fund for an Axe-Fx II. :drool

Trending Topics