1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

RP1000 overdrives?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by CitizenCain, Feb 19, 2009.

1. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Do the overdrive models in the RP1000 behave like the real deals? I mean, can you up the output on them and actually push the amp, or are the more like recorded sounds that affect the signal? Do the ones based on dynamic ODs like the OCD cleanup with the guitar's vol control like the real thing?

Thanks

2. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Comments on the RP500 welcome also!

3. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

bump, I'm curious about this..

4. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

The small time I spent with the 1000 left me very impressed. Enough so that I have a 500 incoming.... Totally smoked my GT8.

jon

5. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I replaced a Barber/Xotic/OCD/etc. loaded pedal board with the GSP1101 (same sounds as the RP1000) almost 2 years ago and will never go back to individual pedals.
    Cleaner, quieter, no impedence loading, etc. I gig 3-4 nights a week and have the best live tone I have ever had.

Stomp models AND the preamp models are absolutely stellar. No, it's not the AXE, but 1/4th the price and absolutely the next best thing on the market IMHO. ODs feel really good, just don't set the Gate too high if you want to clean up by rolling back volume. Very "pedal" feeling, just zero tone suck like with pedals.

I initially purchased the GSP to only use in 4CM with my Mesa Lone Star, and it works incredibly well that way. I spent a few hours one Saturday trying to match my LSC tone with the GSP and got it to 98% and have been using the GSP as a stand alone into a tube power amp/stereo 412 ever since. I get compliments on my live tone all the time.

The new Digitech RP series STOMPS the Boss GT series in tone. Much warmer and, believe it or not, more organic without that Boss metallic sheen. The XLR DIs to the mixer sound fantastic as well. I haven't mic'd a cab since I got it and have played a few very large outdoor shows with top line PA and everytime the sound operators were very impressed with my rig. I mean, all the tone hitting the crowd was DI from my $400 Pre/FX...

Tones on the RP500 and 1000 are virtually identical, just can't use the 4CM on the RP500.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  6. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

I'm soooo tempted to try an RP1000. Hard to believe that it will turn my Rivera Chubster combo into a Vox/Mesa/etc. pre-amp using the 4CM.

7. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

Yeah. I picked up a RP250 on closeout for $100 & it smoked my GT8 too:jo

8. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

I'm loving my RP-1000 more than any guitar item i've ever bought. Its that good and easy to use too...I've been tweaking and having a ball with it. I'd gig this unit in a heartbeat. What I usually do is for each 5 banks, I'll set up 2 with overdriven sounds such as Recto or JMP, 2 with cleaner sounds, such as Blackface and Twin and the last bank I'll use as my own amp. Yeah, thats the coolest thing with the RP-1000. You can use your own amp as your preamp. In my case I use a Mesa Stiletto with the 2 button footswitch. So I can use it either clean or on my overdrive channel. Man, this unit does a ton, but you'll figure it out in no time, and you will love it. As far as one members question about the OCD cleaning up, I don't think it does. It does feel amp like but the clean up never quite cleans up totally. Same deal with the fuzz's if I remember right. The FX are fantastic. I won't say the EH memory man or the ADA Flanger owns the real thing, but if you ever owned some of these older FX, you'll be amazed how far modeling has come. The nuances are incredible. My only gripe I have is that when you tweak on the unit itself without software, they had like 2 knobs that did nothing - digitech set it up this way - it would had been great if they used these 2 parameters for additional tweaking, but hey, the item is $500, and it does do a lot, and definitely a best bang for the buck...

9. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

How is the reverse delay setting? Can you get a Castles Made of Sand, or Give It Away tone? I really like what Digitech is doing with their RP series lately.

dk

10. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

As good as modeling (especially Digi's) has gotten it will probably never be able to recreate the direct guitar-->OD/fuzz interaction. These units are buffered and then the signal is converted to digital before it gets to the modelled FX. These OD sims CAN be made to interact with changing voltage (i.e. how hard you pick) But rolling off the volume knob also changes the output impedance of the guitar and since modelers are buffered they do not "see" a changing impedance.

Sooo... as an example You CANNOT get the Jimi semi-clean, rolled off fuzz face tone from a modeling unit. Ditto for any other OD that is sensitive to the volume control.

11. jamison162

jamison162 Member

How does the RP1000 compare to the Line 6 stuff (M13, POD X3) or the Nova System? Anyone have experence with either to offer an opinion?

12. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I have a Flextone III XL that I use for small gigs and jams and have owned all the earlier incarnations of the Line 6 modelers going all the way back to the original AX2.

Line 6 does some of the heavier tones pretty well, but I definitely find the new GSP/RP series to be richer and more organic in every way.
    Those are not words that I would have associatee with Digitech guitar gear in the past.

No, it's not exactly the same as a huge, expensive, clumsy pedalboard full of individual pedals, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

My experience in 25 years of gigging is that the audience hears a clean sound, a crunchy sound and a crazy lead tone. Maybe some delay thrown in there.

13. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

A little OT........truer words have never been spoken. We all get caught up in the thousand shades of overdrive/distortion/modulation/etc., because we love guitars/amps/pedals.

With that being said, the audience only hears a tiny fraction of what we're trying to achieve as musicians. Of course, great gear inspires US to play better, feel more confident, etc. so at the end of the day I think there's a halfway point, at least for me, between all the subtleties in gear and what the audience truly hears. Carry on.... :)

14. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

I just bought an RP500 yesterday and spent some time running through the pre-sets. I found enough usable stuff to serve as starting points for what I need, and will start tweaking this evening.

15. epluribus

epluribus Member

+1 on the dynamic response of Digitech's latest offerings. Remarkable.

Another thing to consider with the RP line is usability onstage. The pedalboard-like layout is very easy to use and just as intuitive as an analog board. However, in "stompbox" mode, (aka pedalboard functionality) switching patches is a little fiddly, (sequential) and metering the FX is quite limited.

So stick an FCB1010 in there. Really opens the MFX board up. You can use the 1010 like a loop switcher, or to mod the FX on the fly, or whatever else you can dream up, and you'll have two extra fully programmable expression pedals to boot. (Aftermarket GUI programming--free download)

Sounds like a lot of stuff, but the reality is that one-touch patch switching is a wonderfully simple thing for doing variety covers, and having all those expression pedals will quickly become a how-did-I-get-by-without-'em thing.

On the noise/transparency thing...is the newest RP stuff pretty good? Bypass mode on the older GNXs was anything but transparent, and that unfortunately carried over into the FX to some extent. There's a world of difference between a GNX (3 or 4) OD and a good modded analog stompbox, at least in the transparency dept. (The GNX stands up very well to a stock Bad Monkey for instance, but can't remotely touch a Humphrey Audio Modded Badder Monkey. Ditto many other mass-market ODs, IMHO.)

Jm2c.

--Ray

16. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Hey Jack! What are you running the pedal in to?

jon

17. teleplayer20

teleplayer20 Senior Member

Well said...