Rp1000 vs Rp500

BoB/335

Started out looking into a Boss ME 80 then a GT 1000.

Two friends that don't know each other convinced me to take a serious look at the Rp500 and while searching and reading reviews I have come across the Rp1000. Sweetwater has a "sweet" deal on financing till the end of the month so looking to make a decision pretty soon. I am hoping to go direct to the PA eventually. Playing a '68 335 into a '69 Pro Reverb now. I have QSC K8 and EV sXa360 that I could use as a monitor when going direct to PA.

All comments, replies, suggestions, advice welcomed!!!

Lele

I used the RP500 for some time (and even the RP250 earlier), live too, and it was rather good.
I have never tried the Boss modelers, so I can't compare to them. I can say that imho Digitech amp modeling is still slightly better than the current Zoom offering (except for the G5n that I haven't tried yet, even if it seems the same to me from YouTube videos).
Anyway it's a "second tier" amp modeling, that is not very dynamic like the real thing, or the first-tier modelers (Kemper and Axe) or analog modelers (that have other handicaps).
I remember that some amp models were rather good (the 2 Fender hybrids, Vox AC15, Fender Twin, Blackface, 77 Marshall, Orange 120, Matchless hc30), as well as most of the overdrive models.
The fx are good (even if you can't change any placement, the compressor for example is only before the overdrive, and you can't use more than one effect for each type), the Whammy is great; (only) with the RP360 you can change some fx placement.
The cab models are acceptable (at the end I mostly used the Digitech 4x12 metal + some parametric eq, for any kind of tone).
Both the RP500/1000 have so many switches that make them very practical in a live use.
Mostly, I used the switches of the RP500 to turn on/off overdrives and effects. Digitech (unlike Zoom) has a little silent gap (short but noticeable, about 35-40 ms) when you change any preset.
Digitech amp models are not very responsive to the guitar volume knob (even if some models, like the ones I listed above, are better than others; often there is more volume change than gain change), unlike Zoom amp models that are slightly more responsive, but Digitech is dead quiet even at high gain levels and with metal amp models (Zoom gainy amp models are noisy).

Last edited:

uglybassplayer

Silver Supporting Member
I consider the RP1000 and RP500 "3rd tier" at this point. Ancient in terms of modelers. Great foot switch layouts but not so great for modeling anymore, especially going direct to PA.
I respectfully disagree. While Helix, AX8/Axe FX, and Kemper are all the rage on TGP, the "lowly" Digitech RP series can still hold it's own. Even though I own a Helix, I still have an RP360 that I keep in my gigbag for both a backup and for "grab-n-go" type gigs. I recently sold my RP1000 as I haven't used it since going with the Helix, but was (and still would be) happy to gig with it. The amp models are actually very good, as are the stompboxes, effects, reverbs and delays. The weak link is the cab modeling, which really isn't that bad, it's just not on par with today's devices that can load custom IRs. FWIW, my favorite cab on the RP series is the "4x12 ALT". I'm particularly fond of the Twin Reverb, HC30 and JCM800 amp models.

Personally, I'd go with the RP1000 over the RP500... More models, effects and stompboxes, and having a row of footswitches dedicated to effects on/off, coupled with a 2nd row of presets makes it well worth the extra scratch.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Personally, I'd go with the RP1000 over the RP500... More models, effects and stompboxes, and having a row of footswitches dedicated to effects on/off, coupled with a 2nd row of presets makes it well worth the extra scratch.
Agree with this if you aren't too terribly picky and have good sound reinforcement. I would not, however; buy one new. This is a used unit purchase if there ever was one.

uglybassplayer

Silver Supporting Member
Agree with this if you aren't too terribly picky and have good sound reinforcement. I would not, however; buy one new. This is a used unit purchase if there ever was one.
^^^^ THIS ^^^^. I sold my RP1000 on Craigslist about two months ago for $150. Believe me, I would have kept it if I didn't already own a Helix, two RP360s (yes, two), one RP360XP and my GSP1101/C2 rig.

Lele

RP360x would have a similar sound and more compact
Well, I'd say that Mattball is right. The RP360XP together with the additional FS3X footswitch could be even a better solution than the RP1000, if you look at the Digitech products.
The RP500/1000 grid is practical to change/edit any parameter BUT only the RP360 offers the possibility to edit ANY parameter on board. With the RP500/1000 some (few) parameters (like the freq of parametric equalizer, and maybe few others) are adjustable only when you connect the RP500/1000 to a PC via USB. The RP360XP and the optional FS3X footswitch can offer a compact device with a good layout.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
^^^^ THIS ^^^^. I sold my RP1000 on Craigslist about two months ago for $150. Believe me, I would have kept it if I didn't already own a Helix, two RP360s (yes, two), one RP360XP and my GSP1101/C2 rig.
Sounds like someone has a problem :)

I have almost bought an RP1000 and a 1101 too many times to count haha :D

Lele

... if I didn't already own a Helix, two RP360s (yes, two), one RP360XP and my GSP1101/C2 rig.
Oh, my God!!! I have to show this to my wife ;)
And now off topic... and begging for a short answer: what about the Helix vs RP360?
I mean: I stopped using the RP500 (and the Zoom G3/G1on) after getting an analog AMT O2 pedal (+ some OD pedals and MS50 for delay/boost/eq), because I found out what I was losing, that is a lot of dynamic and tone impact, helping to cut in a live mix (and in my brain and body, too).
Is Helix on another planet about this (against the Digitech modeler)? The Axe-Ultra I tried just once was... and I wonder if other expensive (and out-of-my-budget) modelers are that way.
Sorry for being off topic....

BoB/335

Right now till the end of March $8.34 per month for 36 months for the RP1000 and $5.56 per month for 36 months for the RP500 both with 2 year warranty from Sweetwater.

I'll have to take a "look" at 1st tier. I don't always look to go to the top but 3rd tier ???

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Right now till the end of March $8.34 per month for 36 months for the RP1000 and $5.56 per month for 36 months for the RP500 both with 2 year warranty from Sweetwater.

I'll have to take a "look" at 1st tier. I don't always look to go to the top but 3rd tier ???
First tier is expensive. Especially if you aren't sold on the idea of modelling and don't have anything good to amplify said modeler through. I get your point about that low monthly payment; but tying yourself down for 3 years to old tech just because the monthly payment is low is not a good idea imo. I would save up a little bit of $ and buy used.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Well, the OP listed two good monitors that he already has... but he also has a very good tube amp to compare with!
Hey!!! Just because I am replying to the thread doesn't mean I am actually reading other posts in said thread :hide:D

BoB/335

Top tier is out for now.

I understand what 3 years will bring in progress but don't have the money to buy outright right now. (Looking to sell a few things and will probably pay off early)

The EV is one of the best neutral/natural sounding powered speakers "I" have ever heard. I already had the k8 so I looked to the k12 and JBL at that time and the EV was much better. (this coming from someone who owned and still owns JML MPro 415's and 418's with QSC 3204 power amps)

Save up a little bit of money and buy what used?

mattball826

Top tier is out for now.

I understand what 3 years will bring in progress but don't have the money to buy outright right now. (Looking to sell a few things and will probably pay off early)

The EV is one of the best neutral/natural sounding powered speakers "I" have ever heard. I already had the k8 so I looked to the k12 and JBL at that time and the EV was much better. (this coming from someone who owned and still owns JML MPro 415's and 418's with QSC 3204 power amps)

Save up a little bit of money and buy what used?
RP500 used should go for 100 bucks or so. 200 on the RP1000. $120 or so on the RP360x. I wouldn't pay $400 for a unit as old.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
If you can find a Fender Mustang Floor; those will sound really nice for the $ as well.

Semitone

I had the RP500 and really liked it. Thought it was good value at the time. IMO it really needs to go to FRFR, never had much luck into an amp. All that being said, for the money, I would go for a second hand hd500x ( I think it is about the same price) They also work well but you have to be comfortable with understanding technology and get comfortable with a bit of tweaking. ( If you feel you need a computer interface to be comfortable, or find more than 3 knobs intimidating, I would skip it) I preferred the flexibility of the PodHD but that is just my view.

Another might be to buy a Two Notes Torpedo Cab used ( I'm guessing around $300?) and pair pedals with it. You might find that works for you, particularly if you already have a number of pedals you like.

BoB/335

One friend who owns an rp500 bought it specifically to go into the front of an amp and he loves it.

Two Notes looks good if I decide to build a pedalboard with everything I really want. Right now just use an old vox wah into a FDII mosfet and playing around with a Boss chorus.

Rap 360 new for $149 plus $40 for the foot switch or a new rp500 for $199. Let me think a minute!

Looking through eBay and don't see much on the used end for the rp500 or the rp1000 in fact I still see a lot of over $400 for new rp1000 so $299 with a 2 year warranty and a payment plan doesn't look all that bad. Maybe the the time it's paid off I'll be so hooked on digital that I'll for 1st tier.

Trending Topics