RP360 or something else for my needs?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by jthomps123, Jan 26, 2015.

1. jthomps123

jthomps123 Member

Hi guys, just came out of retirement to join a cover-band. I need to add a couple effects to my analog setup (a couple drive pedals, clean boost and delay) into an amp.

I need acoustic sim, chorus, octave and maybe a couple other effects... Would the RP360 be a solution. I would still like to use my OCD/Barder Drive etc but might forgo if the new processor was good enough.

Thinking about running the processor through the FX loop on my amp (Two Rock studio pro), maybe in a 4cable method if thats possible.

Thanks for any input.

2. dmock66

dmock66 Member

Some thoughts off the top of my head...

Is your amp a one channel or multi-channel amp?

You can't run in true 4CM because the RP360 because the 360 doesn't have a loop. The RP360 would just be in your amp's FX Loop. As such, I don't know how the Acoustic model will sound. Also, you wouldn't be able to use the RP360 ODs/Dist.

If you ran the RP360 into the front of the amp you could do what you want but you also would need to be mindful when running into the gain channel - it will impact how your delays respond.

The RP360 is a nice unit. I use the RP360XP but also play direct - so it's a bit different experience.

Maybe a Boss unit - something from the GT series. That would allow you to run in true 4CM and take advantage of everything you want to do. I've never owned a Boss unit so I can't speak directly to it - but the functionality seems like it may be more in line with what you're looking for.

3. jthomps123

jthomps123 Member

Thanks for the input. Yeah I see now there is not loop on the RP360.

My amp is only 1 channel and I get all my dirt from stomp boxes. I wonder if I the RP360 can just replace my pedal board.

4. Lain

Lain Member

Have you had a look at the Boss ME-80?

There is a video by GAK guitar shop on youtube that explains the unit pretty well. Just a suggestion though, i have yet to try the unit myself.

5. dmock66

dmock66 Member

That is absolutely an option. It's all there.

Some things to consider - you can only have one of anything at a time - meaning 1 OD/Dist, Modulation, Delay, Reverb. If you like to run a chorus and flanger concurrently you cannot do that with the RP360. You can select the order of the signal path within the 360 and I do like the effects it has - but you can only select one at a time per module. By comparison, the Zoom G3 gives you six slots that can be anything you want. I have both - they both have some pros and cons - both are solid for what they are.

6. jthomps123

jthomps123 Member

Thanks guys, i'll check out those units as well.

Question: Do these allow the option to drop out the amp-modeling/speaker sim? Is that something i'd want since I am still going to use my amp?

7. Lain

Lain Member

The Boss ME-80 does.
    Zoom has some units aswell, the G5 for example.

Best is, as always, if you check them out yourself. Maybe even take your amp to the store if the store is fine with it.

Edit: Here is the video i was talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svr1Ae9zrVg

8. ChrisVereb

ChrisVereb Member

Well acoustic sim and octave usually work better out in the front of the chain rather than in the effects loop, so consider that. A lot of the smaller devices don't include an FX loop for 4 cable method, but they're so cheap you may as well just get two. Put one in front, and one in the loop.

The Zoom MS pedals work great for the "other stuff" but the pitch shifting isn't great in my opinion. Maybe get the Digitech RP360 for the front of the chain, and an Zoom MS-70CDR for the effects loop. Still under $300 total new.

9. dmock66

dmock66 Member

Good idea - I hadn't considered that - I was trying to box it up in one unit.

The RP360 does allow you to bypass the amp/cab block. You do so by selecting the "Direct" option for each - which can be done independently. You definitely want to select the "Direct" cabinet. The amp models may give you more gain options. Some may sound good with your amp.

The G3 - you just don't select an amp model in one of the 6 blocks - so that one is mentally easier to get your head around. Comparing those two - I find the RP360 more usable in a live scenario.

Also - I would consider the RP360XP as then you also add in a wah/expression pedal. That does open up more possibilities. The wah implementation on the RP360XP is far superior to the G3X.

10. jthomps123

jthomps123 Member

Great idea on combining 2! Under $300 is def where I want to be.

Either one could server double duty as a 'backup' should one go out also. Hmm...

11. dmock66

dmock66 Member

Agreed.

Also - if you choose correctly you can get a situation where their strengths compliment one another and you can navigate around the cons.