RP500... Want to sound like a horn section

Phil R Monic

Playing the horn parts on Superstition (Stevie Wonder). Need some suggestions on effects to use.
Thanks.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
I have tried to recreate horns on guitar for years. There comes a point where you just have to pretend like you are hitting the mark and move on. Or go full on guitar synth or Fishman Triple Play. Or get the SY300 (if you want to be a little cheesier sounding :D)

Shameless plug of my own stupid clippage:

Last edited:

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
We do that tune (and "Sledgehammer") with my fellow guitarist playing a horn synth patch on his Roland GR-55.
Does he switch between the horns and flute parts or do you trade off? That flute part would be a blast to approximate on the guitar.

mbenigni

Do you own an iPad or iPhone, by any chance? Jam Origin MIDI Guitar, a copy of SampleTank, and some creative routing... mind blown. :)

Viabcroce

Talking strictly about guitars, I've had a certain success in approaching Metheny's "synth\horns sound" by raising the noise gate value a lot on my modeller hence getting a sort of "gated" attack. This is very depending on the guitar's volume, so you have to trim both the ng and the vol knob.
HTH :)

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Talking strictly about guitars, I've had a certain success in approaching Metheny's "synth\horns sound" by raising the noise gate value a lot on my modeller hence getting a sort of "gated" attack. This is very depending on the guitar's volume, so you have to trim both the ng and the vol knob.
HTH :)
You have a Kemper iirc? There are some solid horn/synthy approximations available on the exchange. Not quite at my SY level but usable. Obviously not applicable to the original post, but fyi, fwiw and all that.

randombastage

Silver Supporting Member
sell the digital box and buy a horn at a pawn shop...looks much cooler onstage and sounds better

2nd best is a Paul Trombetta Bone Machine fuzz pedal set to trombone

Last edited:

ratbastid

Does he switch between the horns and flute parts or do you trade off? That flute part would be a blast to approximate on the guitar.
You mean the asian flute warble thing that happens in the intro and four times in the middle eight? He has that as a sample that he can trigger from the Roland.

Viabcroce

You have a Kemper iirc? There are some solid horn/synthy approximations available on the exchange. Not quite at my SY level but usable. Obviously not applicable to the original post, but fyi, fwiw and all that.

Ha! :D

Yep JT, you do!

Thanks a lot for your consideration :)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom