RS Guitar upgrade kit for strats???

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by zodiactone, Apr 14, 2008.

1. zodiactone

zodiactone Supporting Member

Have any of you used these for strats? And secondly, did you use the modern kit, or vintage? The only difference in the two kits are the caps. What differences did you notice between the two caps (vintage is a paper/oil cap, modern supposedly has a cap built specifically for guitars)?

2. Brownface

Brownface Member

I just ordered a premium upgrade today. Talked to the tech, and he told me exactly what I needed to know. From what I gathered, the vintage kit is very warm, and the modern brings out the clarity. I know that's a very general statement, but that's my take. I ordered the kit for my les paul. The bridge will be wired vintage, and the neck wired modern with the appropriate parts for both. Call them. They're great people to talk to. Let me know how it goes. I'm going to load my strat up when I get done with the LP and SG.

3. AndrewSimon

AndrewSimon Member

Probably not a huge difference on the Strat (I like the vintage cap on mine).
    On the LP there is a huge difference between the vintage and modern wiring... of course you can go back and forth easily.
    For my LP I ordered the modern kit but I did not like the result... so I got two vintage capacitors and rewired vintage style.... eventually I moved to "Gibson wiring" with the vintage caps and now I'm smilling forever :).
    You just have to experiment, there is no other way.

:AOK

4. oscar100

oscar100 Member

def worth doing - made a big difference on my suhr - opnened out the sound big time

5. big brekfest

big brekfest Guest

bought the vintage lp-type kit. the kit, along with the high-order pickups really transformed my t-60. sounds brilliant and has a clarity i didn't know was possible. The only thing i'd like to see different is a treble bleed mod, but that's a personal preference I suppose.

6. ronin32

ronin32 Member

Did you guys change your stock pickups out at the same time, or did you have different pickups in their, or with your stock pickups?

Just wondering because I have been looking into switching out my electronics also but not sure which pickups I want yet.

7. zodiactone

zodiactone Supporting Member

Yeah, I was asking specifically for strats, but I appreciate all responses regardless. Late last year I changed the stock SCN pickups with Suhr V60LP's. So that is one reason why I am trying to decide on either the vintage or modern. Another reason is this, my strat is very dark toned. It is a Mahogany body with Rosewood fingerboard. So on one hand the vintage is appealing just for the classic tones...but on the other, I need some clarity as well. So I'm not sure what to do?

Thanks for all the responses though guys, I do appreciate them!

Zodiac

8. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

I used the RS Modern kit in my SRV Strat when I put in WCR SR's. All served to open up the sound..not hotter but now I don't have to beat the crap out of the guitar to get what I want.