rs guitar works electronics upgrade

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DrPCR, Oct 25, 2005.

1. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

I know this has been covered before, but just wondering if any more members here have upgraded their PRS mccarty or other models like LPs with the rs guitar works pot and cap upgrades. I recently acquired a mccarty which had it done, and its the the best mccarty I have played hands down. I've had many mccarty's before and I really hated their muddyness. This thing sings and I hate to say this, first time even sounds close to a LP. I know others have upgraded their LPs and I'm thinking the same. Thoughts comments appreciated!!

2. Wally1

Wally1 Member

I upgraded my 1998 McCarty a while back with the RS PRS wiring kit and I really like it! The tone really opened up. I really think there is a difference and it's worth the money. I currently use PRS #7's in this guitar and with the pickups change and electronics upgrade kit it sounds fabulous!

3. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I dunno Doc. I 'upgraded' a 59 Historic LP (since sold) with their pots and caps, and IF there was a difference, I certainly couldn't pick it up. Subsequently, I switched to higher value CTS pots (500?), as the RS read lower, and that made a more discernable and desirable difference. Doesn't surprise me about the McCarty, though...any product's effect is dependent on the specific interactions.

4. drummondrs

drummondrs Member

I got a change when I used the kit with my Darkburst's in my LP. Very nice tones coming out of that guitar. I need to put up a clip soonish.

5. ducmike

ducmike Silver Supporting Member

I put the kit in my LP Standard. I thought is was a huge improvement. It depends on how good the stock electronics are, as to how much of a difference it is.

6. boogieongtr

boogieongtr Member

I first tried a complete tone kit for a Historic LP about a year ago. The first thing you will notice is on (bridge pickup) as you roll off the volume it is a even decrease in volume from 10 to 0. On the neck pickup there is a tone cap that keeps the highs intact as you roll off the volume. Also all of the pots were higher than 500K and each one marked for its position. Since then I bought 4 more and have them in all of my LP. IMOP they are worth every penny!!

7. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

If your handy with a soldering iron and can do the installation yourself, I recommend that you go for it. The kits are not that expensive and you can change it out if you don't like it.

I have a LP Custom Historic with the 3 pu's and the master tone control. It came equiped with Gibson Classic '57's. I was planning on changing the pu because I was unhappy with the tone. After I installed the RS kit w/ the Hovland caps, it sounded so much better that I kept the stock pickups in.

8. ricoh

ricoh Member

I use the kit in a SG/LP Historic -w- Holmes PU's. I like it fine. I did not like the tone cap and disconnected it.

9. BrownDog

BrownDog Member

I replaced the pots and cap with the RS kit on my McCarty BLE. I also added a treble bleed cap, which for me is a must since I "religiously work" the volume control. To my ears, the kit really does wonders for the McCarty. I'm pleased.

For myself alone and with tone and oneness, Mike