RS Guitarcap Capacitors?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by exhaust_49, Sep 2, 2005.

1. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

2. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Kimber Kaps work pretty well and don't cost as much. Get them from PartsExpress.

3. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I have a few RS kits on order and the Hovland RS caps are a big part of the reason I'm doing it, in addition to the other parts. I have heard nothing but great reviews on the caps and the RS kits. If you want the best, there it is.

Give RS GW a call, Lee is great!

Ask him to tell you what Terry McInterff felt about them.

4. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75991

For any film cap, how "smooth" the rolloff is will depend on its value only. Get one of those, one of these:

WIMA metallized Polyester cap

at 1/52nd of the price and, for good measure, also one of these:

WIMA Film-and-foil Polypropylene cap

which is the same type of cap as the RS Hovland but at 1/8th of the price.

Have someone swap between them or install them with a switch in your guitar so you don't know which one is selected, play it and see if you can hear a difference. Please report back.

Or, do what I openly admit I did with my loudspeakers, which have Hovland Musicaps (ten times the price of Solen metallized polypropylene caps) in the crossover filters: assume that there may be some truth in the hype, argue that you want the best money can buy, do some sighted tests where I guarantee you WILL hear a noticeable improvement and live happily ever after ;)

5. alderbody

alderbody Member

Hey Carlos,

since WIMA is a German brand (as far as i know), are you aware of any way to get them from a EU site? (except Banzai. Olaf has the Met-Poly ones only...)

I'm sick and tired of all this extra shipping charges from the US...

I just placed an order for some WIMA caps from Mouser because i can't find any EU vendor :mad:

6. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

I get them from www.conrad.de (I actually buy them directly from their shop here in Munich). They have an international site, www.conrad.com, but the online catalogue doesn't seem to be working properly, and on the UK site they don't have all the Wima lines (I can't find the MKS, for example). The French and German sites look ok. You may look up the references in those (just search for MKS, FKP or whatever) and then fill in your order directly in the international page. I've tried a couple and the prices come up correctly but there's no description of the product, I guess in the int'l site they have the complete price list but not the product description database or something.

Others you may want to try are www.farnell.com (UK based, don't know if they do retail or just business customers though) and www.selectronic.fr

7. alderbody

alderbody Member