1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

RS Guitars.......

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by OldSchool, May 17, 2011.

1. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Just traded a cool forum member here for his Rockabilly Sr:

[​IMG]

Everyone here knows how much I dig Dickey Betts. But even armed with his signature Axe I just can't feel the LP vibe. This is the very first Dual Humbucker axe I am really digging. Now I get why Malcom Young dug TV Jones Pups so much! Its also the first guitar I find myself really using the Tone Pot. It can be bright so lowering it down a bit gives it a really percussive chunk......overdrives my Juke warbler beautifully. I love it!

[​IMG]

Never thought I'd dig this guitar so much. The 63' style neck is Fat, but not obnoxiusly so. the compensated saddles really make a difference. I LOVE IT!

This company has my Oldschool stamp of approval!![​IMG]

2. fenderball

fenderball Supporting Member

3. big mike

big mike House Plexi Staff Member

BIG Congrats Al,

I LOVE my RS Esquire. And you know I love me some Dickey Betts too.
    ENJOY!!

Those TV Jones pickups are deceptively cool sounding.
    And Candy red is awesome!

4. lumco

lumco Most of the roads I travel are muddy Gold Supporting Member

Old School, give me the scoop on RS Guitars..thinking of pulling a trigger on one. Setup, fretwork, overall fit n finish etc.. Thanks...PM or Email is great...enjoy your rig.

5. mabernstn

mabernstn Member

I own three RS guitars and they're all excellent in terms of fit, finish, setup. Plus, Scott and Roy are great guys. One of the best values out there - other than Fano :)

6. Ed Alvarado

Ed Alvarado Member

I here you Old School, I recently finished a Tele build with TV Jones Filtertrons and I love them. Your new RS looks awesome, I really like the binding as well.

7. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Roy, Scott and the entire RS crew do some amazing work. Love my Huffcaster.

8. tommc

tommc Member

Nice one. That's my favorite RS, love the binding. I may have to check into a build on one of those.

9. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I gotta say I was really surprised. I met the seller locally and was really impressed the first time i picked it up. I just sold 2 guitars from very well known Boutique makers that had what I thought was Sub Par necks. I loved this one instantly. I always thought of RS as kind of a Parts caster company. They sell so many Parts and then they put these together. Very wrong assuption on my part. This is a very unique and amazing guitar. Its extremly high quality and you can tell alot of thought went into it.

I was selling a High End Signature Gibson. I was leery giving a trade Value on this RS because a Gibson will always hold it value. Especially something with Dickey Betts name on it. The amount of iquiry's I got on it was almost overwhelming. No way I would have taken a chance on this RS without playing it first. Just so happens the guy was local so why not? Love to meet TGP members reguardless. I did the trade without plugging it in because I could just tell it was going to be great. Highly reccomend. And I own 3 other Fender Custom Shop guitars & 1 strat with an original Pre CBS neck . So I have some good stuff to compare it to. It holds it own easily. [​IMG]

10. big mike

Couldn't agree more.

RS is Not doing the 'relic some Allparts/USAGC/Warmoth/etc' guitar building.
    They cut their own bodies, do their own fretting and shape their own necks. Every part is well thought out from the pots and caps, to the ashtray bridges to the 'mud circuit' on the esquires.

Roy and Scott got their sh*t down cold. I'll put my RS Esquire against any Fender CS or any other relic builder for that matter in a heartbeat.

Not taking away anything from the other guys, but in my experience, the RS is definitely several cuts above.

11. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Thanks! First time I played these TV Jones. Very cutting , Lots of bite. I use the tone control to fatten it up and it really sounds great. This guitar will cut through ANY mix. AC/DC grind is easy. Blues rythms and Open string runs sound amazing. What it doesn't excell in is that neck Pick up High Gain Tone , kind of like Slash. No violin Tones here. But thats not my bag so I'm good. [​IMG]

12. big mike

You should hear them in a big ol hunk of mahogany and maple to.
    Like the best les paul pickups ever. (for my taste, Lesters are too dark).

13. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

:agreeAbsolutely Mike. [​IMG]

I'm so glad this guitar was local so I was able to see that first hand. Got to get the word out on these. These are not relic partscasters. Nothing wrong with that (I own those also), but this guitar is just so much more then that. [​IMG]

14. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Nooooooooo! I thought I just put the LP world behind me! :jo

Now I gotta find another one and try these out. [​IMG]

15. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Great looking guitar.

16. lumco

lumco Most of the roads I travel are muddy Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for all the info..you convinced me.

17. big mike

Just get a prs McCarty
    Im using a Kauer no lesters for me!!!

18. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

Very cool, Al. And I bet it's awesome into that Juke (having played through it before you got it from Jack, I know how great it is.)

19. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

That's only because you haven't seen my new one yet.:omg

20. simplecomplexity

simplecomplexity Senior Member