RS Guitarworks Content

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ThugLife, Feb 21, 2009.

1. ThugLife

ThugLife Member

Just dropped a RS Guitarworks prewired kit in my Gibson LP and, WOW, what a great purchase. Worth every cent. I have not seen cleaner soldering than what they do over at RS. The wiring from Gibson was so shoddy. I can actually use the volume and tone controls. I am the kind of guy who has always kept all controls on 10. Now, I'm messing with everything and getting all these new tones that I've never heard before. It's amazing. If your thinking about doing this, DO IT. I am a skeptic at heart, but am now a believer. :dude
    [​IMG]

2. yakyak

yakyak Supporting Member

I know these kits can do some good and everybody here raves about them. The pots may have a better taper but the caps seem to be the real component that makes the difference for better or worse. I have put a kit in my Tele and tried one in my LP. I really did not like the change in the LP and the Tele sounded about the same. I think you could save money with a cap upgrade (if you do not like your present tone) or a volume/tone pot upgrade. Just my experience. Glad you like yours.

3. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub

Depends on what's already in there. My American Tele already had CTS pots which surprised me. I dig RS stuff - I have it in most of my guitars.

GAd

4. eurotrashed

eurotrashed Member

MIM has CTS pots also

5. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

Just because it has CTS pots doesn't mean that there very good. CTS has different grades of pots. The ones that RS uses are made to their specs and are above a normal CTS pot and I'm not just talking about the taper or ohm rating. I changed out the CTS pots on my R8 LP with the RS ones and the feel and tone are much improved.

6. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

I'm a believer, installed one in my LP Studio and the change was instant. The improved pot taper definately makes the volume and tone controls usable.
    I was thinking I'd have to switch out the stock 490 & 498 pups after upgrading with the RS wiring kit, but they won't be going anywhere...........love the way the guitar sounds!

7. hawkeye17

hawkeye17 Member

I put the Modern Kit in my Les Paul and it made quite a difference. I'm glad I did that mod and will probably do it on some other guitars down the road.

8. Southern ILL

Southern ILL Member

I've got me a Esquire setup coming next week....they are a fine bunch of guitar geeks!!

9. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

i was there when said-transformation happened...i can attest to it...HUGE improvement, and the 50's wiring is just what i like in my gibbys.

now im going to go humes out.

10. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

I installed the RS Treble Tamer in my Standard - there's a definite improvement in the tone controls. I don't have a large amount of experience soldering, but I'm pretty happy with how it came out.
    [​IMG]

11. never-enough

never-enough Member

havent had time to install my kit yet, but am very much looking forward to it.
    i got push pull pots for coil tapping each pickup and phase reversal on my 1969 goldtop that i recently dropped a set of lollar imperials into.
    cant wait to get it finished.

12. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

I love the RS kits but credit to Gibson because their wiring on every Historic I've opened up was clean & perfect. The people wiring for Gibson got good chops. I wish they would use the 50's wiring and some decent caps & pots. But then RS would be out of a lot of work! RS is a fantastic resource and one of the solid players who deliver for me every time. I love their cans & superpots, although I used the vintage kit last time out, with zero regrets.

13. ThugLife

ThugLife Member

May be the difference between custom shop and regular US. When I took the backplate off, the bridge p.u lead wasn't even soldered to the terminal on the pot. It was just wrapped around the terminal. No one had touched the electronics before today. Barely any solder on it at all. Amazing the difference between the two factories.

14. Bluesjam

Bluesjam Member

RS Guitarworks have great kits and their a buch of good guys that will hekp you even if you don't buy anything. I like the vintage wiring and the Jensen oil & paper caps.

15. BostonGuitar

BostonGuitar Member

Have a Dr. Vintage kit in my R0 and will soon be ordering an RS kit for my '68 reissue. Can't say enough about the difference they make. Much like Jeremiah(ThugLife) I owe my "proof in the pudding" to Esoteric Pete and his KILLER R8 with RS kit.

16. ThugLife

ThugLife Member

werd :beer

17. bazooka47

bazooka47 Member

I like the RS pots, too, but I get those Jensen- style caps from Steve at angela.com.

Do they make a difference in tone? I definitely think so, but I could be delusional.

18. planetal

planetal Member

I'm also a RS user, but mostly because I know their pots will be in spec and have a taper/feel I like (as well as function properly). For me, more than anything, they've allowed me to use my vol/tone controls in a substantially more effective way as they simply work very well. In particular, I've found that the bridge pickups of my guitars are really affected by the combination of the quite effective pots and caps. I am sure that the caps play a good part in the overall usability and sound of the instrument when using the tone control, but for me the change because of the pots has been great(as I've tried it in various combinations).

I'm sure that there are other venders who provide pots/caps of similar quality and price to RS, but I've been happy with what I've gotten from them.

19. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

The Fender CTS pots are good quality, the difference in the RS ones is in the taper and they get them with closer tolerances in value, so a 500K pot will really be 500 and not 435 or something.

Al

20. jay42

jay42 Member

The OP's install appears to be 50's style wiring. guitarfish's install does not. Wadup w'dat?

I just installed some stock CTS 500k. Indeed, they measured 470K, 463K, and 430K.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009