RS Guitarworks upgraders.....chime in with thoughts

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sixstring531, Dec 21, 2009.

1. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member

Thinking of changing the pots out in my 83 LP Standard before selling the shaws for a different pickup. I've read that the pot change (since in 83 they used 100k and 300k pots and little orange caps) will have a dramatic effect on what I am hearing -- which currently is kind of muffled with not much use of the tone and volume controls.

I am thinking of doing the RS vintage upgrade on the volume and tone controls -- will I notice a difference?
    -- anyone with experience in the RS or WCR upgrade kits have positive feedback?

2. Last

Last Member

You will definitely notice a HUGE difference. Guaranteed.

I've done it to several of my LP's. Here's a vintage upgrade kit I put in my Trad Plus.

[​IMG]

Really & I mean REALLY opened up the '57 Classic pups & made my neck pickup much more articulate whereas before it was pretty muddy.

The numbers on the volume & tone controls will actually mean something after the install as well. I wasn't getting too much differences in tone or volume until about 3 or 4 then again @ 8 to 10. Now every single number on the dial makes a noticeable difference.

Do it!

3. sixstring531

Where in StL you from man? I used to live there (went to HS there, will be there on Christmas and New Years0

4. Last

Last Member

Ha!

Too funny. Everyone from here always mentions High School. :rotflmao

I'm out in West St. Louis County, Wildwood to be exact.

5. sixstring531

I went to school at Parkway Central and the folks live in Chesterfield -- too funny!
    Yeah -- we moved from Los Angeles out to StL when I entered HS and everyone always asked what HS you go to.....just a way to find out what part of the tracks your from I guess.

6. Last

Last Member

Went to Horton Watkins in Ladue. Almost hate saying that though as most people think you're loaded or something.

Comfortable but certainly not loaded.

Definitely get that RS Kit!

7. cooljuk

cooljuk Member

I put a RS modern kit in my Trad, only I used Jensen copper foil caps from Angela rather than the RS caps (my preference in a direct A/B with about 10 others). I'm very happy with the differences it has made.

8. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

I'm a true believer in the RS upgrade kit after installing them in a '92 LP Studio which I was going to switch out the 490R/498T pups but kept after the change.

I also put one in my LP Traditional........also great a transformation!

What I noticed was how it opens up the overall sound. The increased note articulation and the the usable taper of the volume and tone controls is worth the price of admission.

That all said and done I haven't found the need to replace the electronics in my 2009 R8.................yet.

9. BPSUL

BPSUL Member

WOW! did they really use 100k pots?
    You will hear a massive difference, 90% of which will simply be from going to a 500k pot. Your pickups are being smothered right now.

10. fatcontroller

fatcontroller Member

Chaminade here.

Wonder about RS for a tele as well...

11. sixstring531

Chaminade -- why hello neighbor.

Yes, currently it sounds like my pickups (though very hot) are under a blanket. Think I will pull the trigger on this one....now, to explain it to the wife :)

12. spence

spence Member

I was considering a pickup change in my Historic LP, but after the RS upgrade, I totally changed my mind. The original burstbuckers came alive and sound great now. I highly recommend it.

13. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Gold Supporting Member

Have an R8 incoming with the RS upgrade. For you, swapping out those ceramic disks for .015 neck and .022 bridge PIO caps, plus swapping 100k and 300k pots for 500k pots will clean things up considerably.

14. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

I used a WCR kit in a LP along with an American Steel set, and I have RS kits in 2 Strats. 'Love 'em all ~ A good move in my book

15. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

Change the elex with an RS or WCR kit and you'll wanna keep the Shaws... no doubt. I used both in a couple Les Pauls ... saved me from spending big bucks on pups.

16. sixstring531

That's my course now -- change pots, then see if I dig the shaws.

17. chakosh

chakosh Member

IMHO it's not as drastic as some people may lead you to believe. I just put the Vintage kit in my LP Standard, and it's ok. I'm not sure that I'd pay $100 again to do it to be perfectly honest.

One thing I did notice is a lot more treble from the bridge pickup, so using it with the volume at 10 and tone knob at 10 is pretty harsh. I roll the tone knob down to about 8 with the volume up at 10. It is a little brighter, but nothing that is one of those "Oh my god you have to do this or you're a n00b" kinds of changes. You're welcome to do it, but I didn't notice a night-and-day difference to mine.

18. sixstring531

The thing about my current rig is the pots that are currently in it -- apparently using a 300K and 100K pots doesn't make for the best tones (why Gibson doesn't do it anymore, or not much past those few early 80s years)-- and I believe it -- it really does sound like it's kind of muffled and there isn't much play in the tone and volumes -- I would say nearly anything would be a positive and more useful difference than the current setup.

Doesn't change the fact the Shaws are a little hot for my taste, but maybe if I can get a better way to tame them (ie, volume and tone) then I can use them and not drop the coin for a more expensive upgrade.

19. chakosh

chakosh Member

You might have a different experience, but I didn't find that the upgrade "tamed" my neck pup... It's still much hotter than the bridge. But, the pot values may calm it down a bit.

20. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

Great upgrade. I have done it to a handful of my LP's. The only gripe that I have is on the last vintage upgrade kit I put in my CR8 the volume pot went to pot(pun intended;)). Just was really scratchy and had to change it.