RS Kit question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by scottlr, Aug 25, 2006.

1. scottlr

scottlr Member

I see several options for the RS Kits, one of which is True Tone. I do NOT see any explanation of this. Can someone tell me what the differences are? I am looking at the LP and Tele upgrades.

Also, would the LP kit be advisable for an SG as well?

2. Turbozag

Turbozag Senior Member

True Tone is the regular kit that 99% need/want.
    There is a hi gain option and a treble "tamer" option which are both pretty much self explanitory.

3. scottlr

scottlr Member

OK, cool. True Tone seems right for me, then. THANKS!

4. scottlr

scottlr Member

OK, I sent the link to the kit to my local guitar tech, and here's what he had to say...

Your Les Paul should already have all those items as stock except for the capacitors. The stock caps would be ceramic and while these caps shown in their picture are a little better quality, but because of the how much these caps actually affect the QUALITY of the tone the change would be negligible. So unless your Les Paul got changed from its stock components there would be not reason to change anything. Cost to rewire a Les Paul would run $90 for 2 hours of work at our shop rate of $45 per hour. I would personally just leave it stock as it should already have CTS pots, and a Switchcraft jack and switch. I think the "raving" being done is simply a perception that "I spent money on this and now it sounds better". The signal in these caps is frequency being shorted to ground (as in highs being subtracted) leaving lows behind, not like a coupling cap in an amp where the ENTIRE signal is passing through the cap to the next amp stage. So I seriously doubt that there is an "improvement" in tone. And the CTS pots would be the same quality and taper as your original, shaft length is not a tonal factor; it just needs to fit the instrument, so if yours fit... The jack and switch should be the exact same as what you already have.

I've known this guy for years. He is rather opinionated, but a super nice guy. But I have had trouble getting him to do stuff the way I want it done. He likes to do every Strat the same, and every Les Paul the same, and doesn't like to take into consideration what the player wants. This is mostly in reference to action height for me. Every time he's done a set up for me, I have had to change the action to what i wanted. Anyway, I thought I'd toss out his comments to see if anyone had any thoughts here. BTW, not sure why he mention shaft length, as I knew that already, and he should have known that I did.. go figure..

5. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Sometimes, I think some of the mods we do here don't do much for the money.

Still, I get tired of a tech that acts that way. I don't have a problem discussing the pros and cons of a mod, but he shouldn't be telling you what you want because that is what he likes.

Why I do most mods myself and try it out.

6. scottlr

scottlr Member

Yeah, I am trying to get the nerve up to get the soldering iron out and learn how to work on my electronics myself. I do my own setups now, so... I thought of going for an RS Kit for my Tele first, thinking it would be a good simple wiring thing to start with.

7. rooster

rooster Member

I used to think the same thing (electronics tech for 20 years), until I put old-stock Sprague Vitamin Q caps in my guitars, especially in the Heritage H150.

Wow, quite a difference.

rooster.

8. scottlr

scottlr Member

So maybe if I decide to take the plunge I'll actually educate HIM? ;)

9. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

i'd say. my luthier does the same thing alot....but heres my thought:

"do only exactly what im asking you to do, because im the customer, and im payng you for your services to do what I want...not what YOU want"

10. scottlr

scottlr Member

Yeah, that has always been my argument, too. He truly is trying to educate his customers, but there's got to be something giving when you are dealing a player who been playing for 40 years! I know what I like, and what I want. Educate the young guys that don't know what they want. LOL

11. scottlr

scottlr Member

Well, my main reason for thinking about a kit is mostly from folks here. I like the way the guitar sounds fine. However, the tone pot on the neck pup doesn't work at all. It was suggested it might be a cold solder joint. But I don't know what to look for for that. Should I just heat it up and see if that makes the tone control work? Also, after looking at the guts, I was shocked the wire is so tiny! I suppose it does the job its meant to, but I have never seen wiring so thin in a guitar. Looks like the individual wires in telephone cable. Maybe even thinner than that!

12. scottlr

scottlr Member

After explaining to him what I have learned here about this kit, my tech is now starting to relax his position, and willing to be proved wrong, at my expense, of course LOL

13. Junior

Yep, it's called "reflowing" the joint. Worth a try, though usually a cold joint makes some noise.

14. scottlr

scottlr Member

No noise, the pup works, the tone control does nothing at all.

15. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

I've bought and used 3 kits from RS. The results were splendid each time. My stock '05 LP Std sounded good to me from the start but I couldn't keep from putting a kit in it anyway. Glad I did.