RS upgrade kits

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by lv, Jun 30, 2006.

1. lv

lv Supporting Member

I have read at the Les Paul forum that they can make the guitar brighter, I'm not looking for that. Anyone know the difference between the treble tamer and high gain kits?

Any other thoughts on how the kits changed the tone of the guitar you installed them in?

Thanks

2. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

The treble tamer kit uses a 300K pot for the bridge volume control on the les paul kit, which actually reduces highs for that pickup. Really helps with a Burstbucker pro in the bridge, or other too-bright pickup.

3. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Member

I have the RS deluxe historic tone kit. I think it does brighten the tone somewhat. This helped to clarify my neck pickup beautifully. However, the volume pot now attenuates highs a bit. When I want to soften the high end, I can use the tone control or turn the volume down to 9. If I ever need extra brightness it's there.

4. soulohio

soulohio Member

i have used a burstbucker pro in both a korean tokai les paul and a fender toronado and i did not feel it was bright...but i have the treble turned down next to nothing on my amps....

5. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I had to put a cap/resistor from ACME to get my highs back when turning down the volume knob with the RS Historic kit.

6. Traintrack

Traintrack Coolest Member Award Aug 2009 Silver Supporting Member

The pots are valued correctly, You have to match the output of your p/u's with the value to be satisfied. This is explaned correctly in the posts above.

I think the value is ordering the kits and knowing that you are getting the value that you are paying for, I have a lot of pots in my parts drawer, the RS pots are very close to the specs. 485, 507 etc. I bought 4 NOS CTS pots from a well know AMP repairman and after testing them they were all under 350! .

Trial and error, There is not much work in swapping them out so you can get to where you need to be pretty easily.

7. BoyMambo

BoyMambo Member

I am going to be a bit of a troll, but I don't think I would ever buy anything from RS. I have sent two or three emails over the last six months requesting postage to Australia price for three PRS kits and three sets of tonepros for PRS and I have never gotten an answer. I do not want to give them any money because if they can't answer a simple request what are they going to do if I give them my money and there is a problem. :FM

8. lv

lv Supporting Member

Not the first time I've heard this. I called and left a message, we'll see if they call me back.

9. BoyMambo

BoyMambo Member

BOL. I am just not sure about this outfit.

10. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Member

FWIW, I spoke to them at length on the phone about a number of things and they were terrific - helpful, totally professional, etc.