RSA 23 Owners I need some advise

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by CBeeper, Jan 16, 2006.

1. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

I've been dreaming about this amp ever since I heard a friend of mines. Question is I've been thinking about getting the short head one channel version of the amp. How much would I be missing by not having the click channel?

2. GasMask

GasMask Member

There are several threads here that discuss this very subject- you might search for them. The answer somewhat depends on how you plan to use the amp. Do you play live a lot? Do you reley on pedals for overdrive? etc.... The small head matches the 2x12D cab. This makes for a bit smaller more portable rig. There is now some question as to whether the 5879 tube is available in the small box version. Best to call D/13 for yourself. You do give up the different voicings of the "click" channel. You also lose the ability to use a routing device like the switchazel to combine the two channels. The full size head gives you more flexibility and tonal options. If you like to use pedals for overdrive and portability is important, you might prefer the small version. D/13 is building some great amps now!!!

3. CBeeper

I remembered alot of threads about the RSA23 2 channel. I'll search and see what comes up on the single verses dual setup. Thanks. I do use a few overdrive pedals and the size issue is important to me. I was just wondering if the trade was worth it or not.
    So the single channel has the 5879 tube also? I though that was exclusive to the click channel. That's good to know. Any other info is welcome.

4. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I use both channels all the time and LOVE the combined tones of the RSA23 for solos. I wouldn't want just the first channel. Plus, I think resale would be better whould you decide to sell it. My 2 cents..

5. glendrix

glendrix Member

Thanks for posting. My exact questions, I am on the fence as well about which model.

6. GAT

Lamont had one, I would ask him.

7. AK1

AK1 Member

If you play a Strat and love the neck position pickup, you'll need the click channel. Teles love it as well.

8. CBeeper

That wraps it up for me. I use Strats, Tele's and LP's. The Strats my current favorite and if it comprimises the neck pickup tone I guess it's the long box for me. Thanks.....

9. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

Regarding the RSA 23, you can't access the 5879 tube on the smallbox head because there is NO 5879 tube in the smallbox head.

This I am sure of.

-Rich

10. Topcat

Topcat Member

Rich,
    While what your saying may be absolutely true about the 'NO 5879', it does go against what Lamont and GasMask stated in a previous thread. I know you just talked with Fred, did he confirm this??

Do a search on 'RSA 23', scroll down about 9 listings to 'Question regarding smallbox 23' by Redtoploader. As you read through it entirely you will see this discrepancy. I even questioned it a second time because it confused me.

Now I'm more confused. Let's just go drink!! Terry

11. GAT

That tube is only used on the click channels of Fred's amps, the first channel is a 12AX7. That's what Fred told me.

12. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

i would go for the large box, i can't imagine missing the click channel on my amp.

besides, even though it's bigger ... it won't be much heavier than the large box ... it's all the same guts - some parts for the click channel.

13. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

Roger that Terry...I just called Fred a little while go to inquire. No 5879 in the RSA 23 smallbox version. That tube is for the click channel only.

14. GasMask

GasMask Member

15. GAT

I just like having two different sounding channels and both really work well with gain boxes.

16. GasMask

GasMask Member

That would explain the discrepancy! :BEER

17. Topcat

Topcat Member

Thanks Rich and Jeff,

That would explain the mix up and hopefully clears the air on this--at least for me.

Terry