RSA23 Are there any sound clips?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Chuck Snider, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Chuck Snider

Chuck Snider Member

I'd like to hear some clips of this amp. Are there any out there?

2. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Silver Supporting Member

Dont think clips will do this bad boy proud.....After having my friends rsa 23 haunt me, I ordered one......now the wait..........

3. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Chuck, think that's what Rusty was using at the Live 8 thing. May want to look up the videos at AOL.com. But that won't really give you much of an idea how the thing sounds/responsds when you're sitting in front of it with your own axe plugged in. Why not stop by San Pedro sometime...?

4. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

If I wasn't in VA I'd be stopping in!

5. Chuck Snider

Chuck Snider Member

Yea Leon ,your right,
    I should cruise on up there sometime. Hear one through that cool 2X12 cab......

6. Topcat

Topcat Member

When are these 23's going to finally hit this forum?

All kinds of people seem real excited (some even placed orders) and yet no one seems to have taken delivery on one of these (supposed) bad boys.

I'm interested as well, so Chuck, I think I smell a road trip. Wish I was there.

Terry

7. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I have one on order too. Never heard one but hey, I plunked down money and hope it's a good thing. Kinda like ordering a mail order bride, never know what's gonna happen. I love my new Sex Amp and my Divided By 13 FTR 37 so we'll see where the RSA23 fits in. :cool:

8. Lamont

Lamont Member

Ive got two-and i know of a third locally-and yep ,a bunch have been ordered,as far as sound clips ,they will never do this amp any justice----ya just have to trust your instincts on this one--i'll tell ya its the best amp ive ever played but don't take my word for it --i would bet they will only cost much more in the near future-like Dumble,59-60 les pauls ,and all the really good ****,,somethings are just timeless and GOLD.The 23 is one of these rare bits of magic that come along only so often ---take the plunge-lfe is too short to go w/o an experiance like the 23.

9. GAT

Lamont,

I did what you told me to do brother! :D

10. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

So my next /13 will be...

The new high-gain proto? This one sounds like a cool amp that will keep up with the times.

The RSA23? Don't have much to base it off of (never heard it other than Rusty Anderson), how would it sit next to my FTR37?

The RSA23 sounds cool but I doubt I would get to hear it unless I ship one across the country :)

11. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Silver Supporting Member

Mine should arrive by end of oct begining of november......if anyone in the NY metro would want to check it out you are more than welcome to. Completely different sounds than the ftr 37....more marshal....with freds little twist that makes it that much better!

12. Leonc

Topcat, looks like you won't be hearing one on this forum any time soon. I will say that the 23 sounds a bit more Marshall-like than the rest of the /13s...but it's far from a clone and really doesn't sound like any particular Marshall that I can think of.

1. Cleans up much better than most plexis and is more responsive in general than any Marshall I've played. The cleans lean toward Voxy but again, are not the same.

2. It is not as bright as many Marshalls, nor is it as hard or klangy. No harshness, very smooth overdrive.

3. It has the signature solid (but not overbearing) low-end of other /13s.

4. The large box version is still very much in the /13 world w/rt features, layout. The small box version still enables you to use the pentode (through a second input), but you can't link the inputs as you can in a larger box, and there's no 'clicker' for the pentod (both inputs use one tone circuit).

13. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

Stop this #$&#&#!!! My GAS is being fueled more and more.

A few questions for you Leon: Would you say this amp likes closed back (like your orange 2x12) or the standard /13 2x12 cab better?

I heard standard greenbacks seem to be the speaker choice for this amp. Wondering how it would sound w/ 2 Blues or the Blue/G12H30 combination?

-Rich

14. Leonc

I've only heard it through a 4x12 with greenbacks and the closed back 2x12 with G12H30s. Sounded great through both. I particularly liked it through the smaller cab :eek! Think it may have sounded a little more imediate (and not as loud). Don't know about other spkrs...probably be okay with Blues too. But, not worth the extra dough, IMO, when the G12s sound so freakin good with it.

15. petemin

petemin Supporting Member

i went to LA last week and stopped by fred's place to say hello and ended up placing an order for an RSA 23. it sounded pretty great. i have a ftr 37 and a 9/15. from my memory it sounded different than the other two amps. definitely a bit more forward in the high mid area. loved the clean and semi clean sounds. when i get my amp, i'll try to post some samples.

hey leon, nice meeting you. nice guitar.

pete

16. GAT

How is the volume as compared to the FTR 37?

17. Leonc

Hey Pete!

Great meeting you as well. :cool:

I figured you'd dig that Tele. I made a clip with it a day or two later. Man, great playing on your part. I still think you've done the coolest ÷ 13 clips I've heard!

18. Dennis E.

Dennis E. Silver Supporting Member

Hi,

I've had my 23 now for about 5 months, and it has just gotten better and better and better.

I have the largebox with 2 discrete channels.

Leon nailed it ... it's an amp that most sounds like a Marshall ... but it also has a lot of Voxyness in it's clean-to-on-the-edge-of-breakup sounds. It also reminds me of my T-wreck Express clone in that there's this abundance of high end (that is not in any way piercing or annoying), but it has this beautiful roundness to the midrange.

The bottom ... as was mentioned ... is trademark Divided by 13, in that it's large but tight. The bottom end is not as large as the ERT 33, but it's ALL there.

It's the midrange frequencies of this amp that make it so special. It's really hard to describe, and I don't technically know how Fred does it, but the mid control really seems to allow this amp to morph between the Marshall and Vox camps.

The click channel clearly strikes me as more Marshally ... although I could not tell you which era. It's got more gain than the ERT33's click channel, and you don't need to turn it up very much to get the gain. In fact, it's got more gain than I'll ever use. I typically would not turn it up past 4 ... as that's PLENTY of gain for me. I usually leave it at 3. Still, I don't see this amp as a numetal or metal amp ... it's very much a rock amp. I probably wouldn't use it on a jazz gig either.

What I really appreciate about the gain of this amp, is that it never mushes out or becomes muddy. It is a focused sound that cuts and that maintains clarity, while it presents all of the guitar's frequency spectrum. I truely think this is where Fredric's special magic is most obvious.

It's also very neutral in how it represents each guitar's voice. Tele's sound like Tele's. Les Pauls sound like LPs. And it does not descriminate between single coils or humbuckers.

It eats pedals for breakfast, lunch and dinner ... and especially likes boosts, and light ods; probably because there's so much gain available in the amp itself. I really don't need pedals with this amp, but they do help in lower volume situations.

Speaking of volume, I recall a conversation I had with Fred when I got the amp. He said, "remember that in terms of wattage and volume, this is the same wattage as a Deluxe Reverb, but it sounds so much bigger." I remember laughing out loud when I first heard the amp ... thinking to myself "this thing sounds huge!" It's really is amazing. However, while it is not brutally loud ... it is in no way a practice/bedroom amp.

It's really the perfect club amp for me. I play in a classic rock band. If necessary, I'll use a Weber Mass just barely engaged to knock down the volume.

For speakers, I use a Divided by 13 open 2-12 cab with one 55hz and one 75hz Weber Scumbag H30 recones. They sound great! I have tried Celestion Blues but like the H30s better. I've not tried Greenbacks yet ... but they're on my short list.

To be honest, my 23 needed some playing time to break in. It significantly changed it's tonal signature over the course of the first month. In fact (especially in regards to the click channel), I was not that hot about it at first, and thought I'd made a mistake. But after a month it really started to warm up and open up. That's when the mids really started to show themselves as the strength of this amp.

Is it perfect? No ... I'd love to have a bit more clean headroom on the first channel at 4-5 on the volume knob, but I'm not willing to give up the slightly overdriven tones at that volume to get that headroom.

I can say that it is the right amp for me, and I use it regularly for most of the music I play (I am blessed to have a few other very wonderful amps). I do not regret my purchase in any way, and it's always a blast dealing with Fred. I think it's safe for me to say that you won't be seeing my 23 in the Emporium anytime soon.

Sorry that I can only offer a textual soundclip, and not a real one. But I hope this helps those of you who are curious. Sorry if it only adds more fuel to those of you with GAS. :)

Lastly, if you're interested in hearing the 23, and you're in the Raleigh/Durham area, send me an email. I'll try to arrange a get together for you to play it.

Best to ya,
    Dennis E.

19. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

I'm always up for any of your clips Pete. You sent me some of clips your 37 when I was considering buying one and those clips really reflect the amp well!

-Rich

20. petemin

petemin Supporting Member

hey leon,

thanks. i'll be seeing you more often after january as i'm moving out your way. nice clips!

rich, clips will come hopefully sooner than later.

pete