RT-20:What else does it do besides rotating speaker?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by derek_32999, Jun 24, 2006.

1. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Thinking about picking one of these and a DD-20 up, but was wondering what sounds it does (well) besides just rotating speaker.

Thanks!!

2. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

Well that is what it does and it does it well. It slows down and it speed up and it stops. Killer pedal.

3. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

4. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Anyone else have comments about the quality of this pedals sound? Is it a tonesucker in bypass etc? :D

I looked at boss and couldn't find any sound samples or anything (not that sound samples mean anything). Besides I have a retroman Ubervibe for my vibe needs.

5. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

It is not a tone sucker. I've had or at least played about every Leslie Sim out, and believe it or not, this is by far the best. It is more accurate than the Korg, H&K, Voce, DLS, etc, and in my opinion even beats the Dynacord. Just don't buy it for the Univibe, its horrible. The first two leslie settings, farther miked (more swirl) or close miked (more tremelo) sound good. I usually never leave the first setting.

Before anyone else comes in and rains on your parade, I have played real leslie cabs and yes they sound wonderful. But a good sim like this gives anything you would ever hear RECORDED or MIKED for a large venue. Check out some of the first threads posted about it. I recorded some clips which were hosted in another thread as well as MrMunky also did some fine clips--much better than the boss website.

Chris

6. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Thanks a lot chris! I will have to give the ol search engine a go. I usually am VERY dissapointed in search results and rarely use the damn thing anymore :eek:

7. drolling

drolling Member

Thing is, it's a Boss pedal - you should be able to demo one at a dealer's.

I don't trust clips, myself, and I've had to order so much stuff without trying first - but everybody carries Boss.

I'd be very interestd to hear about Joe Wolf's vibe. His hybrid fuzz (Sybil) is just killin me every time I plug in - And the build's spectacular..

But I'm intrigued by all those dails and switches on the Uber.. How you likin it?

8. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Whenever I go to try out a Boss pedal all I can hear is this.....:RoCkIn:RoCkIn:dude:dude:FM:RoCkIn:RoCkIn

:p

All I can say is :drool And superb customer support ta boot. :D

9. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    I have an RT20, it can be used as a door stop, wheel chock, or one of the best rotating speaker emulators. Remember this is not a VIBE, it seems many don't understand that a VIBE pedal and a rotating speaker emulator are not the same thing. A vibe is basically a phaser that is designed around a different principal. Analogman's Vintage effects books has some great info in it about vibes, one being an interview with the man who designed the first Univibe.

I have the following vibes:

4 Sweet Sound UltraVibes
    2 Sweet Sound Mojo Vibes
    Fulltone DejaVibe
    Fulltone DejaVibe 2
    Fulltone DejaVibe 2 Stereo
    Prescription Electronics Vibe Unit(Swirl paintjob)
    2 Voodoo Lab Microvibes
    Dunlop Univibe
    Dunlop Rotovibe
    Hughes & Kettner Rotosphere
    and probably few others I have forgotten are in one of the closets or shelving units.

I have the following rotating speaker emulators:

Line 6 Tone Core Roto-Machine
    Korg G-4
    2 Digitech RPM-1 tube powered rotating speaker emulator
    BOSS RT-20

Actual Rotating speakers:

Fender Vibratone
    Leslie Model 145

In terms of the RT-20 in comparison to the G-4 it is very comparible in the tone department. To really get the tone this thing can deliver you need to do two things. One is use an expression pedal, this will allow you to control the speed and do the stop/start up thing that makes it so cool, two, you must run it in stereo, meaning run into two amps and put some space between them to really get the spread that you would here from a Leslie. Remember the whole thing is about space and timing, the phasing that the vibes do trys to capture that, but once you sit in the actual stereo or triphionic sound field of a good emulator or actual leslie you'll soon hear the 3D effect that is different than the vibe.

The RPM-1 is the defacto emulator, it is tube powered and has stereo inputs and three outputs, left horn, rotor, right horn. You can adjust the mic position to change from a wide to narrow sound field. Plus you can use an expression pedal to control speed.

The RT-20 is the stoughtest pedal, the Korg G-4 is plastic and will break. I have seen a few of them for sale for parts because somebody stomped the thing to death or didn't take good care of them.

I have done some cool experiments were I ran my guitar signal into four UltraVibes into four Groove Tube combo amps, one in each corner of the room. At the same time I ran stereo into a RPM-1 and ran that into two Reverend Hellhound combo amps on stands at 5 feet from the floor that I had 180 degrees apart, which was in between the GT combos in the corner. In the center I had a 1-12" thiele cab with a EVM12L in it facing downwards at the floor, I had four pieces of 8"x8" lumber under each corner of the Thiele cab. The Thiele was powered off of Rocktron Velocity 250 power amp run in mono and from a GT Trio preamp.

This was in a 20' x 20' room with hardwood floor. I sat right next to the Thiele cabinet and played, man I can tell you that it was like sitting inside a sonic tornado when the speed was turned up!!! I still haven't found a good way of recording this to truly replicate this sound! I wil lprobably have to migrate to recording 7.1 surround to do this. I have spent days sitting in this room....

You can easliy get lost in there....

TheGrooveking

10. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

I have to also list that the RT-20 does have a Univibe setting, and it doesn't do that well. The Leslie emulator is it thing. In regards to what else does it do, well you can turn everything down except the drive and just use the pedal as an overdrive.

TheGrooveking

11. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Thanks a lot TGK! BTW I would LOVE to hear 2 retroman ubervibes setup like you say above. :drool It has true stereo outs where the peak and valley are opposite on each output and each output sounds different. For example I wouldnt use JUST output 2 for a vibe sound. I like the sound of output one better. However, used in stereo it makes you feel like you are in a sea of Uni-Vibe!!! I will probably replace my SCH-1 chorus with an RT-20 then. Sounds like that is the way to go.

One more question though. When I put the SCH-1 at a slow rate it gives me a nice lush chorus type sound. Is that what the RT-20 would sound like at a slow rate? Thanks a lot for the help!!:BEER

12. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

Don't sell your SCH-1! The RT-20 will get close to the same low speed sound as the SCH-1, but the SCH-1 has it's own mojo that it only can produce. The SCH-1 on slow speed has almost that same thing the BOSS VB-2 does, it's hard to explain but that is what really makes so many players treasure the SCH-1.

I have four SCH-1's and am keeping each and everyone of them!

TheGrooveking

13. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

I got a BYOC VB-2 clone and while it was nice, I REALLY liked that swirl (or is it just chewy) sound the SCH-1 produces. That special texture thats hard to describe.

14. drolling

drolling Member

Always cool when TheGrooveKing weighs in.. Great info!!

While I could never hope to duplicate TGK's grande experimente, I was lucky enough to pick up an aforementioned NOS DigiTech RPM-1 which has 3 channels; stereo horn spread, which I split between an AC-15 and a Fender Vibroverb, and an additional out for the rotor, which gets sent up the middle to an Ampeg V4 bass head feeding 2 homemade 1 15 cabs.

When I'm using a stereo guitar w/this setup (Parker), I send the Fishman bridge p-up thru' a buffered EQ to a Korg G-4 feeding a pair of Gibson GA19RVTs.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough microphones to commit the result to tape, but if I did, it would have to be mixed down to 5.1 surround sound to come remotely close to capturing the *vibe*.

And Derek, thanks for that in-depth and comprehensive review of the Ubervibe;)

15. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

:D I have had an Ultravibe, Mojo vibe, RX vibe, and ubervibe. The uber has that throb to it and can get extra thumpy with the filter controls. Also, the switch on the back makes it brighter like the "modern" switch inside the mojo. The unit is smaller than the mojo and is able to do stereo beautifully. If the filters are set right you can get a nice phasey sound out of it as well. The pedal is extremely well constructed and feels very sturdy. The only negative I have is the wheel on the side to control speed is a little tough to incorporate into a setup (I had to move some pedals around). The mojo's wheel is easier to use since you are using a rotating motion of your foot instead on spinning the wheel on the side. :RoCkIn

16. KaBudokan

KaBudokan Supporting Member

I recently got an RT-20, and I've been having fun with it. I think it sounds pretty good overall. It does add a bit of high end that I'm not too fond of, but rolling down the tone knob takes care of it. I did see someone mention in another post that the slow settings have a bit of a flange to them, which I can hear why someone would say that. Overall, I am pretty happy with it.

There are two recent posts in the soundclips section I made that show some of the RT-20 sounds. They're made going into one amp through the mono out, as I need to get my second amp repaired before I can do a stereo clip. The most recent clip I put up really shows how good the high speed settings sound, IMO. Check them out if you're curious. :)

17. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

If you're not experienced with a Leslie cabinet, it can give a nice slow phase sound that is smooth and less pronounced and in 3D (literally, not just stereo). If the RT-20 can approximate that, add that to the list. Sometimes I just use the Leslie instead of a phaser. Most of the time I use it for organ sounds. But it works great for noises of all types in general. Fun tools to use.

18. Larry

Larry Member

The only thing I really don't like about the RT-20 is that the funky light show thing stays on all the time - not just when the pedal is engaged. Has anyone figured out how to disable that?

19. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

I know of a guy that tried to disable it. Mysteriously the light hypnotized him and he hasn't quite been the same since.

20. Larry

Larry Member

Yeah, I have a feeling that if you look at it long enough you will develop an irrational desire to buy more Boss pedals.