RT66 vs. Clubman

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ducmike, Nov 13, 2005.

1. ducmike

ducmike Silver Supporting Member

Anyone own both? I went back and forth and ended up with the Z. I picked because it has no master, and the KT66's. I liked the tone on both, but it seemed the Clubman flubbed when cranked. Now that I have been listening to the Lucinda Williams Live cd, I'm gassing for the Clubman again. Is there a way to set it up so it will sound tighter when cranked. Doug Pettibone seems to have no problem with it. What would I miss if I replaced the Z with the Matchless? Thanks for any input on my gas attack.

2. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Damn YOU!!!!

These are my 2 favorite amp ever.

I've owned 2 66's and one Clubman. I wish I could mess around with another Clubman because I've been gasing for another one very badly. I've found the Route 66 to be immediatley gratifying but the Matchless really grew on me. I gigged a lot with my Clubman in 6 months I owned it(had to sell to raise cash)

I loved the added high end that the Route 66 is missing. IOty's definitely more tempermental than the Dr Z. I could plug the Dr Z into anything and it always sounded good. I love both but prefer the Clubman by just a hair. I never had a problem with the Clubman sounding too loose unless it was maxed out. One mans flub is another mans beauty :D

I'm yet to hear Pettibone through a Clubman but I know that mine sounded great. I'd love to have a Route 66 and a Clubman. The ultimate two amp setup IMO.

Apples and Oranges for sure

3. ducmike

Thanks for the input Laroosco. We seem to hit the same forums. As far as the flub, it could have been the cab I tried it through. It had the V30's that I have grown to hate. And it wasn't unil the volume hit the 4:00 + area. The Clubman seems to have greasier, more plexi-ish tone, but not as thick as the 66. I wish I could own both too. I would love to try the Clubman through my Scumback loaded 2x12.

4. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Most of the time I owned the Clubman I haad to run it through an old Ampeg 4x12 loaded with the most Godawful Celestion G12L's. I eventually bought an Avatar cab and loaded with Weber Blue Dogs(1 Blue and 1 Silver actually) and it maade a lot of difference.

To me the amp sounds better with slightly hotter pickups. I loved a Les Paul through the Clubman vbut a Strat with low output pup's only seemed to sound good at the cleanest settings. Those great chimey overtones that make the clean tone so wonderful seemed to turn into a raspy mess when I turned the volume up past 11:00. The higher output pickups seemed to fill it in a bit. There was nothing cooler than hearing my Clubman cranked through a Greenback loaded 4x12 with a Les Paul. :dude:

Now all my guitars are a bit hotter. Even my Strat has 8k pup's in it. I'm confident that it would sound great through a Clubman. Unfortunately there is nobody I know of in my area that owns one.

I don't have the cash for a Clubman right now. I'm actually selling my Blonde Fender and I'm gonna make do with a Peavey Classic 50 for the time being. I've seen better days, that's for sure. I was gonna use the money from the Fender to buy a used Clubman but I need to pay for something ther than my gear.

5. ducmike

The Peavy is a nice amp, but I hope you get back to tone land soon. Not meant as an insult on the Peavy, I hope you know what I mean. I know where you are coming from, I hate to sell a "toy", but there are more important things in life. The Z is a great amp, but the grass on the other side sure looks greener.;)

6. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Two pretty different amps!

- Clubman (through the Matchless 2x12) is stiff, glassy, deep tight lows, that trademark Matchless steely top end, and a scoop in the mids.

- Rt 66 (through the same cab) is softer, early breakup, grows hair fast, lots of mids, soft round bottom, not as loud.

Kiwi

7. Shemp

Shemp Member

I went toe to toe with my Rte 66 against a Clubman at a loud jam last year. I was playing through a closed 4X12 with 2 V30s and 2 G12H30s versus an open backed 2X12 with a pair of H30s.

I thought the Clubman was going to tonally kill the 66, but I was wrong. Both amps sounded great together, though the guy playing the Clubman was a helluva lot better guitarist than I am.

Like Kiwi said, the Clubman was more modern sounding with scooped mids and a gorgeous top end. The 66 is all about thick mids and a gorgeous full grind when it's dimed. Both amps cut through a very loud mix and it was fun to listen to them play together. Great complimentary stage rigs for a 2 guitar rock and blues band I think.

8. PUCKBOY99

PUCKBOY99 Silver Supporting Member

NOS EF86 & a 4x10 will help the Clubman out;)

9. ducmike

I seem to be building quite a NOS EF86 collection, considering I only have one amp that takes them. I'v got Dario, Amperex, Telefunken, Tungsram, and Mullards. So far I like the Dario and Tele the best with the Z.

10. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I think that a Tele is the best guitar to play through the Route 66.

I'm getting a 4x10 cab soon and can't wait to put a Clubman on top of it. I'd love to play a Tele through a Clubman.

11. PUCKBOY99

I had a Clubman...Dario Miniwatt EF86...Tele or P-90s...Marshall 1965A 4x10........

Very Very Nice & Tight!!!!!!!

12. heybulldog

heybulldog Member

and the clubman lights up! its a sweet amp through a matchless es410. i cant stop playing the lucinda williams live cd. i can match pettibones tone with a les paul into my clubman- get really nice ultra clean tones with my 62 strat. saw dp and lw do "i changed the locks" on tv and he used a strat that sounded like a les paul.

if your style is like dougs i dont think you will experience any flubbyness on bass. if you palm mute a lot (lower strings) the 66 might be a better choice.

13. heybulldog

heybulldog Member

ps i am looking for a telefunkin ef86 -

14. gmanrickyt

gmanrickyt Member

I don't know that you'd miss anything. I had a Rt 66 and a Matchless Clubman Reverb. I no longer have the Rt 66 but still have the Matchless and I haven't really missed the Z.

(Both amps were purchased from Fat Sound. Stu is a great guy!)

Rick

15. DrJamie

DrJamie Silver Supporting Member

Love to compare the Clubman Reverb to my Chieftain.

16. PUCKBOY99

Yeah, I'd like to hear that too;)

17. ducmike

What do you like better about the Clubman over the RT66? Ilike the Z, but ever since I got it over the Matchless, I have been wondering if I have made a mistake.

BTW, when I said Tele I meant the tube. Sorry for the confusion. I don't have a Telecaster right now, and I'm jonesing for that tone. I think after I get my first Koll in my hands I'll have him do a Tele style ax for me. But not a straight-up Tele though.

18. gmanrickyt

gmanrickyt Member

I like the bottom end and the chimeyness on the Clubman. It works better for my style of playing and my guitars and it does it at lower volumes. Now there's nothing wrong with the Rt66, but I really had to crank it a bit for it to "sing". Unfortunately it was just too much amp for a lot of the work I do with the band.

Rick

19. gmanrickyt

gmanrickyt Member

I haven't heard a Chieftain in a long time. I used to own a 4x10 Chieftain combo. That thing was HEAVY! And it had only that one handle on the top of the cab. I liked it pretty much, but it was just too heavy to haul around.

If I recall correctly, the Chieftain has the triode channel from the SC30 and the same power section of the Clubman. If I remember correctly, the Chieftain was a bit more compressed than the Clubman and didn't quite have the same amount of high end shimmer. But the mids and bass are pretty strong in the Chieftain. In a band setting, you'd probably be hard pressed to tell the difference once everything got cranked.

Rick

20. ducmike

Thanks. The 66 does sound best when the volume is up past 1:00.

Has anyone compared a Phoenix to the Clubman? That's another one I'm interested in, I just haven't found one to try.