RTC labeled EF-86's

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by nik, Mar 18, 2006.

1. nik

nik Member

I just picked up a couple RTC labeled EF-86's in Phillips boxes. Who makes RTC tubes? Are they made by Phillips?

thanks in advance...

2. nik

nik Member

Anyone familiar with these tubes?

3. Dave C

Dave C Gold Supporting Member

From what I could find RTC produced some of their own tubes in France and also relabeled tubes as well. I also read their choices for relabeling were top shelf stuff too.Might be Phillips.....or something else as well. Sorry I don't have a more definitive answer for you.
    Dave C

4. michael30

michael30 Gold Supporting Member

Could be Philips, could be Mullard. Are there any codes near the bottom of the tubes?

5. nik

nik Member

Thanks for the replies!

The tubes have the following etchings on the side toward the bottom of the tubes:

DK4
    D3D4

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    A picture is worth 1000 words.

7. Damon

Damon Member

Dk is the Philips tube code for PF86, which is like an EF86 but with a 300mA SERIES string filament. Not the same kind of 6.3V PARALLEL filament the EF86 has.

D3D4 is Valvo Hamburg, fourth week of April, 1963.

8. nik

nik Member

Thanks Damon!

The are labeled RTC EF-86 for some reason. Will they work in the first position of a Route 66 or will it cause problems?

thanks.

9. Damon

Damon Member

The PF86 filament wants to see 4.5 Volts, and to be hooked up in a series arrangement. The EF86 filament wants to see 6.3V, and to be hooked up in parallel with all the other 6.3V tubes' filaments. It would probably work - the rest of the pinout is the same - but might not last long? I don't really know as I've never tried it. Perhaps someone with more experience can shed some light. I think it unlikely that the Rte 66 would get damaged if you try.

Just so you know where I got the info from, here's the PDF file which has a database of Philips tube codes:

http://www.triodeel.com/images/philipstubecodes.pdf

Download it and then go "Find" and type in Dk. OR type in EF86, and you'll find that the Philips codes for EF86 were tE, 8Y, and 9r.

In my experience, the acid-etched tube-type/factory/date codes on Philips tubes (applied at the time of manufacture and permanent) do not lie, while the silkscreen or printing on tubes often does.