• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Ruby Baby (Donald Fagen's Nightfly Arrangement) - Complete Cover

Phletch

Well, after many hours of recording vocals and mixing, it's done. This was a lot of work, fun, but a lot of work. I'm not a natural singer, so I'm not ashamed to say I put in a lot of effort on the vocals (and my voice started to give-up by the 3rd verse as it's right at the limit of my range), but no autotune was used. Everything but the guitars and vocals are midi tracks I did myself. Hope you dig it.

PS - see if you can hear some classic dialog nuggets I mixed into the "crowd" at the end ;).

jomac

That was great. I've got this album and you really nailed it:)
Sorry, don't recognise any of the crowd dialog.

DreamTheaterRules

Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs
Gold Supporting Member
My brother from an other side of the world mother, you nailed it. Great job as always!!!

After you sent me some sample settings, I actually tried them and found a whole new set of tones in that Mini Recto. Surprisingly different from the mean and nasty tones I was using it for. Love this Steely Dan and Fagen stuff. Jazz chords are awesome and I'm envious of you guys who can play them like this.

Phletch

That was great. I've got this album and you really nailed it:)
Sorry, don't recognise any of the crowd dialog.
Cheers, mate! I appreciate the kind words. Hint on the dialog: Marvin Gaye, Pulp Fiction, Tom Petty ;).
My brother from an other side of the world mother, you nailed it. Great job as always!!!

After you sent me some sample settings, I actually tried them and found a whole new set of tones in that Mini Recto. Surprisingly different from the mean and nasty tones I was using it for. Love this Steely Dan and Fagen stuff. Jazz chords are awesome and I'm envious of you guys who can play them like this.
Thanks, man! Yeah, there's a whole lotta tone in the Mini Rec. As for the solo, I played the changes in one part, but the tune is basically a I-IV-V blues with some Fagen spices, and that's pretty much how I approached it.

Phletch

nice work. those vocal harmonies sound very Michael McDonald-ish; I can't remember, did he sing on the Nitefly album?
Cheers, mate. No MM on that album. The vocals were all handled by Fagen and Valerie Simpson who did quite a bit of back-up vocals with Little Feat and James Taylor and others I'm sure of of Ashford and Simpson; I had a brain fart and was thinking of Valerie Carter.

Last edited:

MrAstro

That sounded really professional. Nice playing.

We need a picture of some of the girls doing the backing vocals though :)

Phletch

Great job! Love this song and Larry's guitar work on it. You did it justice!
Thanks, Jostein! Doing the song and the arrangement justice is really what I was striving for. :)
Smooth daddy-o.

Thanks for sharing.
Cool, man, thanks! I was feelin' the groove but saved the jazz cigarettes until after the mic was off for the night :cool: .
That sounded really professional. Nice playing.

We need a picture of some of the girls doing the backing vocals though :)
Thanks, Andrew! It's really daunting trying to live up to or even come close to Fagen's production standards. I did my best with what I had. Glad you enjoyed it, mate.

And those girls doing the back-up vocals look remarkably like the 51-year-old guy doing the lead vocals and playing guitar, so be careful what you wish for :D.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom