Ruby Baby (Donald Fagen's Nightfly Arrangement) - Guitar Solo

Phletch

The rest of the song is a work in progress, and I did the solo first. I think that it serves the song, capturing the bounce and feel of Greg Phillinganes' piano solo without being a note-for-note rendition, and I'm pretty happy with it. I had so much fun recording it that I kept hitting record, doing about a dozen takes with different pick-up configurations. I kept the best two, so it's double-tracked, one with the neck pup, one with the bridge. I went straight into the Mesa Mini Rec set for a moderate amount of OD and added nothing at the board except a touch of reverb on the neck track. Hope you dig it!

Last edited:

MrAstro

Very tasty - I wish I understood jazz theory better to improvise around changes like that. Sounds very bluesy with a bit of fusion thrown in.

JParry335

Yeah! Nice groove on this. Guitar sounds sweet with some edge and drive but still smooth.
Very tasteful!
Is that a 335?

Phletch

Very tasty - I wish I understood jazz theory better to improvise around changes like that. Sounds very bluesy with a bit of fusion thrown in.
Cheers, mate. While the song has a few extra chords and Fagen-isms, it's still essentially a I-IV-V blues tune, so you could just play it like that. I outlined the changes in the turnaround and used some chromatics in an attempy to avoid sounding cliche.
Nice man.....well produced too...what did you use for drums/keys if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks, and no worries. I use Ableton Live 8 Lite to build the midi instruments. It came bundled with the Focusrite interface I bought (the iTrack Solo, pretty much bottom of their line in terms of features). Then I import them as .wav files into Audacity and use that as my main DAW to record vocals and guitar and mix with. I don't have any fancy plug-ins. It's pretty low-budget, but I'm comfortable with it.
Sweet..... sounding great.
Cheers, David!
Yeah! Nice groove on this. Guitar sounds sweet with some edge and drive but still smooth.
Very tasteful!
Is that a 335?
Thanks, man! It's a standard Epi Dot with a pair of DiMarzio DP103 36ths, completely stock otherwise. That guitar married to the Mesa Mini Rec continues to put a smile on my face. No GAS for me :D.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom