Rudy says Randy Rhoads was killed by the pilot in an attmpt...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by cragginshred, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

I'd only heard BoO for the first time about two weeks before Randy died. I was blown away -- I'd only been playing for 18 months or so and realized "there's no way I'm ever gonna be that good.". I was already a VH fan, but to me, the addition of classical melodicism to blazing technique was amazing. I ran out and got DoaM ... then three or four days later it was on the radio one morning that he'd died.

I've got no opinion on what caused the crash. I only know that it sucked.

2. leftygeetar

leftygeetar Member

3. LarryWallwart

LarryWallwart Member

plausible. A man kamikazed his car head-on into one of our dump trucks in an attempt to kill him and his soon to be ex-wife. Wife survived.

4. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

hadn't thought of this in quite a while...a long while back I read the RR autopsy report that is on line, my recollections were it was pretty gruesome death with the crash and fire. he was only identified by dental records, which is just sad (ok, i just re-read it....gruesome and sad!)
    I thought the only thing RR had in his system was nicotine, he was a chain smoker, no drugs, but there was some Ethyl Alcohol in his system. Pilot had cocaine in his urine.
    According to the autopsy, RR died of head trauma, looks pretty bad from the report. Of course the fire did damage after, said he had no hair (scalp badly burned), sounds like pretty bad burns on back, etc. His right hand was missing, I assumed this was ripped off from him holding on in crash, but that's just a guess. He did have a pendant that had "RR" on it, and a ring that had "RR" on it. Clothes were burned they could barely tell the color.
    I've never read any speculation as to what happened, wasn't sure if FAA does anything like that for a small crash, assume they look for plane malfunctions, but assume it was pilot error.

5. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

here is my question, does anyone know, or seen any story as to what Ozzy has paid out to Randy's estate from his earnings from those early tours and what was made from BoO and DOAMM?
    I've never seen anything, just always curious. I know his mom just died a few years ago, in her 90s, what a horror she had to deal with to lose a son like that...just hope she was compensated for all the great work Randy did....
    just curious if anyone knew...

6. seward

seward Member

Sharon doesn't want insurers, record label people - anyone, really - to know that she would employ a murderously jealous cokehead, and (furthermore) that she would allow Ozzy's Golden Goose musician to take a ride in a plane piloted by that guy.

Cost outweighs benefit.

I have heard this story elsewhere.

7. cragginshred

cragginshred Member

@sahhas dude that's some serious detail. How in the world did you come up with autopsy details like that? Google I assume?

sahhas likes this.
  8. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

sadly, it is on the internet,
    it is here:
    http://www.ozzyhead.com/articles.htm

i would not recommend reading it if you really love RR and are saddened by his demise. I sort of wish I would have never read it. It's not a pretty ending for someone who was a great guitarist, and didn't have long in the limelight...I would hate to think what his family would think if they knew it was posted online....to them I apologize...RR should be remembered as a great guitarist and the person who jump-started Ozzy's career...and I'm sure he was loved and adored by his family and friends.....
    i would prefer to remember him as the guy who created this:

hearing his banter on the mess-ups in creating Dee in the studio I always thought was a treat...

R3deemed and cragginshred like this.
  9. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

It certainly never made sense to me that the guy simply made a mistake and crashed into the bus. I always thought there was something a bit fishy about it.
    You would think that a guy trying to do acrobatic type things in a plane would be paying far more attention to what he is doing than someone whose mind has drifted because of mundane flying.
    I think there is a legitimate question mark at the end of the sentence.

sahhas likes this.
  10. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

It seems plausible and likely that Aycock was buzzing the bus and misjudged. That's enough for me except that I obviously wish it never happened.

I've viewed the location of the crash online and wish there was a public memorial there. It would be easier for me to visit than his gravesite in CA.

NamaEnsou and sahhas like this.
  11. Supercubziggy

Supercubziggy Member

This is all really sad and is alot of speculation. My father was a pilot in the Navy during the early 60's while everyone was gearing up for Vietnam. They couldn't mint pilots fast enough at the time. One of his jobs was to sit in the Comms shack and listen to radio traffic. There were a large number of fatal accidents at the time and an extremely high % were student pilots freaking out and grabbing the controls during maneuvers. Basically someone who was afraid or new to flying has a very high likelihood of grabbing controls during flight. If Rachael or Randy lost it and a fight over controls ensued, case closed. I am a pilot also, and i would never scare a passenger or perform unsafe maneuvers with packs in the plane. It could kill you...

NamaEnsou likes this.
  12. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

See Vito Bratta.

13. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

[QUOTE="FiestaRed, post: 26168478, member: 2587
    Steve Vai? Joe Satriani? Yngwie? Dokken? Ratt? We're people there at concerts for the lead singers?[/QUOTE]

Dokken and Ratt change their guitarists often..

14. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

Does the motivation of the pilot matter? RR is gone and knowing exactly the pilots motivation is not going to bring him back.

15. 27sauce

27sauce Member

White Lion almost made the bigtime .

A-Bone likes this.
  16. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

Hot guitar player, bails out of the scene when he's 26 or so....

27sauce likes this.
  17. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Oh yeah, I hear ya. He did it to himself.

I don’t know if after those two albums and their almost instant classic songs, that RR could fade himself into Alex Skolnick levels of notoriety/awareness/fame.

18. TopDog

TopDog "jumping the valence" Silver Supporting Member

Rudy's been cashing in on talking about Randy. Rudy is a washed up metal bassist. His book is trash.

19. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

i'm not really a fan of either of them, but i think that's a bit much. how many 80s hair metal bass players aren't "washed up"? i enjoyed the book from what i recall.

20. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

I think he was touring with the Guess Who last year. Not prime time, but probably a cool gig.

stratohiker likes this.