• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Rugged LDC mic for live use

RockStarNick

Gold Supporting Member
Can anyone suggest an affordable, rugged LDC for live use, on a guitar cab?

Looking into mixing Dynamics and Condensers for some fun.

Go!

Endr_rpm

I'd think you'd run into MASSIVE bleed issues, but hey, thats not my problem :)

I really dig my ADK Odin, Cardioid U87ish, very clean, nice low cut and high freq switches.

cubistguitar

Steve Morse has used the KSM-32s for a while now. In front of a 4x12 there aint much bleeding except your ears. Has a slight high end roll off for a tone in between typical LDC and dynamic. Very useful mic.

Scott Whigham

+1 for the KSM32 but then the question is "Why an LDC?" It's not "wrong" or anything like that - I'm just curious as to why you specifically want an LDC.

RockStarNick

Gold Supporting Member
Here's my reasons:

My new band is using IEMs exclusively for monitoring. We're using a splitter snake, and we have full control over our monitor mix onstage - each musician can fully customize his or her in-ear mix. So THAT part of is great. The part that's not so great is my guitar tone.

The first few gigs were rough. SM57 where the dustcap meets the cone, as usual. Sounded like a razorblade in my ear. Just very un-inspiring to play to.

My other guitarist and I spent a good 4-5 hours tweaking mic placement, and experimenting with setups. The time paid off - my IEM tone improved. I've since switched from V30s to some Creambacks. Loved the tone improvement. Switched from a SM57 to a Heil PR20, and again, loved what I heard.

I was still wanting a bigger, better sound of my guitar in the IEMs. So at the last show, on a whim, I threw a cheap Samson CO1 LDC in front of the guitar cab (along with the dynamic). Used the CO1 for my monitors only (didn't send to FOH). Blended it in with the dynamic mic, and presto - it just filled out the bottom, added sparkle to the top, and just a sense of realism and air to the sound.

I finally had a rocking tone in my IEMs, and honsetly, played my best show to date.

Now, the Samson CO1 is far from a "great" mic, so I'm looking for something that can take some bumps on the road, but still sound great, and be relatively affordable.

Rex Anderson

While people use Shure KSM-32's close on speaker cabinets and they sound good, I don't think it's the best choice because they use medium size (3/4"), single diaphragm capsules which work better for distant micing applications.

A large capsule (1") dual diaphragm mic is a better choice for close micing.

An inexpensive good choice is the Audio Technica 4033. A very good mic for the price.

RockStarNick

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Most soundguys (and even my band members) who watch me rig up this additional mic think I'm crazy, but honest to god - it really gave me a much more natural, big, and just plan FUN sounding guitar tone in my ears.

The vocal mics across the front of the stage pick up plenty of ambient sounds. And the Dynamic mic gets the meat and potatoes and punch of the guitar. but this LCD really adds in some realism - gives me a full sonic picture of what my guitar sounds like.

Rex Anderson

Sounds like you did a good job of troubleshooting your problem and found a solution that worked for you. And, no one can argue that a great sound in your monitor mix helps you play your best. If you have the cash, get a good LDC and do what you like. Be sure to keep the mics time aligned (capsules at the same distance from the cone) to avoid phasing.

Rex Anderson

Right you are! Sorry, I missed that entirely. Only used them a few times and assumed they were LDC's-sure look like it.

I withdraw my recommendation for the OP based on that alone. I can't remember what we used them for (not a speaker cab), but they sounded pretty good for the price.

Scott Whigham

Why not just buy a Samson C01 and be done then? Seems pretty straight-foward to me - you tried it and liked it. Why "guess" with using something else?

loudboy

Why not just buy a Samson C01 and be done then? Seems pretty straight-foward to me - you tried it and liked it. Why "guess" with using something else?
How long you been here? <vbg>

I'm surprised no one's told him not to bother, unless he can get a Sony C-800...

RockStarNick

Gold Supporting Member
C800 - what a bargain! haha.

Yeah, I mean, the C01 *works*. But so does a Squier Affinity Stratocaster into a Pignose amp... Truth be told, the C01 added the dimension I was looking for, but solo'd, it was flubby and tinny.

I'm really looking at this AKG214... Price is right, and as silly as this sounds, the shape is right too. I can use a normal mic clip on it, instead of a spider-web shockmount, and get it close to the grill...

Last edited:

Rex Anderson

You actually want that shock mount. Condenser mics are much more sensitive to vibration and you might get a load of rumble off the stage.

No amount of low cut deals with vibration shaking a sensitive mic/capsule. Gotta stop it by shock mounting the mic.

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
I've used the AKG 214 on many live guitar cabs happily. Its a good fit. Agree with Rex though that you do need the shock mount ideally...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom